PDA

View Full Version : Lighting the engine compartment

dalej
06-03-2006, 08:05 PM
I just had to replace one light, fix two switches in the engine compartment. Do you guys just use the prevost lights or have you found other lights and switches that you like? I don't use any prevost lights since they were not bright enough. I have a light down by the dip stick so I can see to get it back in after checking the oil in the dark. I have two overhead lights to light the general area in the back. Seems that every couple of years I have to replace a few things to keep things working.

I think the rally will be a great place to see what everyone has and is using, if they are willing to open their engine compartment. I have been thinking I should paint my detroit so it looks like new, but easier said then done.

Dale

Jon Wehrenberg
06-03-2006, 08:48 PM
On my old coach I got 2 24 volt tractor utility lights from Northern Supply and replaced the dinky license plates lights Prevost installs. They really lit up the engine area.

I was going to do the same thing but Northern doesn't have them in their catalog, so until I find a suitable set of lights I'm stuck with what Prevost puts in.

Why would anyone want to paint their engine?

Jerry Winchester
06-03-2006, 10:33 PM
Dale, I can't believe you picked the scab off of that engine paint deal. Mr. Anal painted his some gaudy color of green (too tight to buy Detroit Diesel green) and had to rub our nose in it at the last rally.

I agree about the lights, but I am a tractor light snob. I will be installing some LED flat panel lights. Jon is an incadecent fool, so he will lead you to the Thomas Edison technology. Roger or Tom will shortly have a relighting fit and do the engine compartment is neon blue or some such shade of LED.

Do go over to the Dark Side. They will have you buying bulbs every month or so. ;)

rfoster
06-04-2006, 12:56 PM
JW.
Ahem
I am pleased to announce the LED bulbs are in and installed in the tail, brake, turn, and center brake light. The White for the backups didn't make the first shipment.
First mission is to Myrtle Beach next week for a few days and nights . Should have probably worked a deal with the supplier for a commssion deal as this is the wave of the future! Everyone that will see them will want them. I probably will want to paint my motor after this. Let the BLING BEGIN
Roger that

Jerry Winchester
06-04-2006, 06:34 PM
Rog, I say we leave those filament buring dudes to their old technology and we keep soaring for better bling. Jon is just pissy cuz he didn't think of it first, but I say imitation is okay by me.

Except I don't think I will paint the engine. If it was out of the coach and hanging on a hoist, then I might be tempted. I'll just wash it off and keep it tidy.

Keep those LED stories coming.

MangoMike
06-04-2006, 07:14 PM
Fast Roger,

If you're going to be in Southern Mrytle Beach, say by Ocean Lakes, 2 restaurants you want to check out. Bubba's Fish Market (not to be confused with Bubba Mike's) in Surfside Beach right by the Pier and Divine Seafood House (a little upscale) in Murrells Inlet - both owned by the same guys.

Mike

rfoster
06-04-2006, 09:35 PM
Mango: Thanks for the info - I figured out the other day it has been 14 years since the Mick and I have been to Myrtle Beach. We are staying at Lakewood Family Campground. It started out just the two of us - then added 2 grandkids, now it us up to 14 immediate family members Tue thru Sunday.{We booked a Villa for them at the same place} Need Lew Bucks for this one! Thanks again for the info on the eating out - I will try to post food shots like JW JUST to try to get even with him. Some, if not all look great - but no lamb fries for me!
Roger

MangoMike
06-04-2006, 10:05 PM
Fast Roger,
So you're just up the street.

If you want a cheap night out hit Ryans, right behind Wal Mart off bypass 17 and 544 about 3 miles from you. It's about $8.50 pp for adults, buffet style. Help you save some Lew Bucks for fuel.

Next time down you can stay at Casa Mango in Surfside.

www.Planetsurfside.com.

Mike

Jerry Winchester
06-05-2006, 09:45 AM
Roger,

Just for you.............

http://jdub.smugmug.com/photos/73276003-M.jpg

We are headed to Arizona today so the Mexican food will only get better. I hate Tex Mex.

truk4u
06-05-2006, 10:06 AM
Excuse me oh great V35 driver, but the disco ball and halogen lights for the engine compartment are on order, no weenee LED's for truk!

Rodger Dodger, here is a sample of what to expect in SF from the hyrdo carbon flame snuffer:

http://www.superherodesigns.com/journal/mexican_bus_400.jpg

Stay on the dark side with me, it's lonely.:p

MangoMike
06-05-2006, 11:06 AM
JDUB,

Checking out the photo - I hope you brought a case of Lipitor with you.

MM

Jerry Winchester
06-05-2006, 11:34 AM
You know its Las Vegas, so isn't the rule what's eaten here stays here? Funny thing is, this is some of the worst food we have had. What's up with that? A few good meals surrounded by a bunch of bad ones. And you can tell unemployment is low. The service sucks as well.

But we are blowing this berg in about an hour, so I am sure Williams, AZ will be quite the change from Outdoor Resorts.

I'm just typing and watching the amp gauge while Rae dries her hair :eek: