PDA

View Full Version : Inverter Repair

dreamchasers
06-29-2008, 08:32 AM
I have read somewhere in the vast array of forum data of inverter repairs. The specific post I am looking for is the one which posted an address and phone number of a electrical repair shop that repaired inverters and had knowledge of the equipment. I think the shop was in New Mexico. I can't find it!

My search abilities using the forum needs tuning.

Any help is appreciated.

Hector

Joe Cannarozzi
06-29-2008, 10:43 AM
Gusdorf Elecrtonics (small guy, one employee Dave, company carries his last name;))
649 Camino De La Luse
Santa Fe, New Mexico

505-983-4095

dreamchasers
06-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Joe,

Thanks you so much. I will give him a call tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Hector

Jon Wehrenberg
06-29-2008, 12:52 PM
Hector,

I think you and I have the heart interface 2500 inverters. If that is the case I know that if the problem lies with a board and not the transformer you can easily open the case, pull the boards and fan and replace them yourself.

I would contact the company (I don't know the geneology to determine who owns it any more) and see if the boards are rebuildable and if so if you can send yours in.

The good news is you can diagnose this yourself if you have two inverters you can swap parts until you find which board is malfuncting.

These are plug and play so it is not real complicated doing any of this.

Shipping the inverter will cost more than the inverter costs because of the weight of those things.

Joe Cannarozzi
06-29-2008, 01:08 PM
Dave over in N.M. did just that with us. He helped me diagnose it over the phone explained how to disassemble it and all we shipped him was the board that he rebuilt.

If you call Zantex for questions and need parts for a Heart they refer you to Gusdorf that is how I found him.

merle&louise
10-22-2008, 06:21 PM
My Heart combi 2500 Inverter crashed and burned today. I spoke to a tech from Field Technical Services in Houston about buying the circuit boards and a Triac switch. My inverter showed an E - 07 error which is a Triac overheating situation. He told me that the switch is only a few dollars but after Xantrex bought out Heart they won't sell parts any more. So I sent the inverter UPS to him in Houston. I was also told the same thing by Discount Solar in AZ.

I searched on eBay for inverter/chargers to no avail. Guess I will just have to bite the bullet and have it repaired.:(

Joe Cannarozzi
10-22-2008, 07:16 PM
Tuga if that avenue turns out to be a dead end let me give you another option before giving up. This is the guy xantrax sold all the surplus parts for Heart and who they refer all repairs to. Dave, great guy.

Gusdorf electronics
Camino de la loose dr.
Santa Fe new Mexico

merle&louise
10-22-2008, 07:41 PM
Thanks Joe,

I just called Dave about an hour ago. He says that he doesn't have any parts in stock but he can still get them. A main board is $660 and an AC board is about $120 and a Triac switch is about $8. With my luck it will be a main board:eek:

It is odd: 2 service techs tell you they can not sell parts directly to the public because of Xantrex company policy and Dave says he can sell them. It is good to know about Dave: if my repair estimate comes back too high I'll call Dave and do business with him.

Thanks again for the good info Joe; you are the Man!:D

merle&louise
11-01-2008, 10:32 PM
My main board was fried:mad:
Found a place in Houston (Field Technical Services) and their price on a main board was $561 plus labor to install. I am letting them do the repair. Thanks for all of the help.:D

mikedee
11-02-2008, 01:23 AM
I lost an inverter and sent it to a repair shop in Victorville CA. For a price of $2000.00 which is a little more than a new one they could fix my unit. I hooked up the A/C to the second inverter and it carried the coach, charged the batteries just fine until I could find a rebuilt 2500 Xantrex. I got one on Ebay for under a $1000.00, the owner said it was used but it was new.

Factory package, no sign it had ever been touched. Easy install.

merle&louise
11-02-2008, 08:38 AM
Mike,
You bring up a good question (and I realize that different converters wire inverters differently): Can inverters be easily SWITCHED if one goes out?
Having a spare inverter is a good feature; but, what restrictions are placed on the appliances that were run by the #2 inverter?

How do Liberty, Marathon, CC, and any others handle this?

Also, can you switch over to gen/shore power when an inverter fails assuming that the converter has not wired it so that it can be switched to the #2 inverter?

jonnie
11-02-2008, 09:03 AM
My experience when sending anything to xantrex is the board is always bad. This is my bad, but when I recieved the unit back it acted the same way. Turns out the common in the generator to the wiring harness had corroded and was bad. A new connecting block solved the problem. I would like to believe the board was bad but I have my doubts.

Jon Wehrenberg
11-02-2008, 10:50 AM
Tuga,

I don't think it is a big deal to switch inverters. They all have 120V coming into them from your electric panel, 120V going out of them to your electric panel, and connections to your batteries, either 12VDC or 24VDC depending on how your coach is set up.

What makes a switch to a different brand somewhat difficult is the remote panel. My remote panel has a cutout for its specific size. It has wiring back to the inverter with a specific number of strands of wire and with terminals on each end.

If one of my inverters pukes I am going to try my best to either replace it with the same brand and model, or find one whose remote will fit in the space I have available and that uses the same wiring, or at least the same number of strands so I don't have to take half the coach apart to run new wiring for the remote.

I went through a lot with the refrigerator to avoid the cost and complexity of refinishing a new one and then fishing it through the windshield. Same philosophy on changing out stuff that entails hours of work when just fixing the old one ends up being a lot easier and cheaper.

merle&louise
11-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Jon,

I only have one inverter/charger, so while it is being repaired I have to run my generator when the coach is moving. The alternator on the generator is charging my batteries, and I am monitoring them using the Link 2000. My engine alternator is also charging the house batteries & engine batteries. When the charging rate exceeds 13.5 volts I turn off the generator.

I am not clear on what the 2 inverters run on a Prevost. I would assume one inverter is used to run an AC unit and the other one is used for refrigerator, TVs, and 120V water pumps, auxillary air pump, etc. Am I guessing correctly?

Having a second inverter is a really nice option, IMO.:D

How many inverters do the major converters use?

garyde
11-02-2008, 08:31 PM
Hi Tuga. My Coach has two 2500 watt Xantrex Freedom 25 Inverters. They run the lights, Refer, all recepticles, coffee, micro, TV's, video, satelite, water pump, air compressor & outside tv,and refer. No A/C.

Jon Wehrenberg
11-02-2008, 09:00 PM
Tuga,

If your bus engine is running you should not have to run your generator. The engine driven alternator should take care of keeping your house batteries charged.

Actually the house batteries need to see about 14.2 volts or just under 14 if you have gel cell batteries.

A second inverter is a good thing because it gives you a back up charger, but also it gives you the ability to power more circuits or handle a bigger load than with a single inverter.

But just adding another is not easy in a coach set up for one. The circuits powered by the inverter need to be isolated. If you are powering circuits with a pair of inverters it is a certainty that their phases will not ever match up, so each inverter needs those circuits it powers separated from other circuits. In you case to add a second inverter you would have to decide what you want to power in addition to what you current converter already powers. Then that circuit must be isolated from all others.

Then there is the issue of by pass current when an inverter fails. I suspect your coach has circuitry that automatically by-passes a failed or missing inverter. The second inverter needs the same circuitry. To add a second inverter could get expensive. Having sait that there is one way you could add a second so you have back up.

Connect the two inverters such that only one can be powered at a time, Use the second as a standby, and when you want to bring it on line you flip some switches set up specifically to take one off line while the second comes on line.

merle&louise
11-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Gary,

It seems your second inverter powers more "stuff". I don't have an outside TV, refrigerator, etc. My single inverter powers the other appliances that you mention although I really don't use the microwave with inverter power, I just start the generator if it is going to be used for more than 60 seconds. Thanks.

Jon,

I run the generator to keep the refrigerator on; no inverter - no Amana! The engine alternator (190 or 200 amp) keeps the batteries charged just fine. The problem is I'm afraid they are being charged too much with the generator alternator. I know that the engine alternator has a voltage regulator, but I am not sure that the generator alternator (35 amp) has one.
I do have AGM 8D batteries (8 in all; 6 house & 2 engine & generator). I haven't allowed the charge rate to exceed 13.4v so it sounds like I am good as long as I stay under 14v.

I am very happy with one inverter/charger; I don't want to add a second one. I was just curious as to WHAT the second inverter ran in the Prevosts. I think that Gary has answered that. I really don't know what else I could run with a second inverter:confused: Presently, my microwave, coffee pot, TVs, 120v water pump, satellite receiver, VCR/CD, and a few receptacles run off of the 2500 Heart inverter.

Regarding the automatic bypass when the inverter fails; I just disconnect an electric plug from the INVERTER outlet (where it stays plugged in all the time) to the GENERATOR outlet which allows power to flow to all of the above appliances. It is a very simple system. The refrigerator and other appliances all will then operate on gen or shore power.

As an aside, I have noticed that when using a small electric fan at night the fan will speed up and then slow down. What's up with that?

Jon Wehrenberg
11-02-2008, 09:44 PM
With AGM batteries they typically get a bulk and absorption charge of about 14.2 to 14.4 before getting the float charge of about 13.7.

Until you get your inverter repaired or replaced I don't see a problem with how you are doing it, or with letting your generator run as long as you want. I don't think your generator alternator will do any harm.

Not enough information to answer the question about the fan. If it is run via 120 VAC I would say the cycles or frequency is varying from 60 Hz, but if the fan is a DC fan then I would say the voltage is going up or down a little. Or it could be mice chewing up your wiring and you need to replace the wiring with a Prevost.

merle&louise
11-02-2008, 10:10 PM
That is a relief to know that I am not overcharging those AGMs.

The fan is a typical 120v AC 14" electric fan that is plugged into an AC outlet that is powered by the inverter.

I keep telling Louise that we need that 2000 Elegant Lady (Shookie's former bus) down in Stuart, but she's not willing to give up the slides. I'll keep working on her:D

Rome wasn't built in a day and neither was Cleveland!

truk4u
11-03-2008, 07:52 AM
Tuga,

You need to run the generator to have the fridge on? I don't understand... Isn't your fridge running off the inverter?

Keep working on Karen....

Jon Wehrenberg
11-03-2008, 08:03 AM
Truk,

Go back to checking for leaks. Newell man has a broken inverter. He only has the one inverter. Sheesh.

Tuga,

If we didn't have our Elegant Lady I would be all over that Liberty Shookie had. It is a beaut.

merle&louise
11-03-2008, 08:35 AM
Tuga,

You need to run the generator to have the fridge on? I don't understand... Isn't your fridge running off the inverter?

Keep working on Karen....

Truk,

The inverter fried like catfish in hot grease! I'm having it repaired in Houston at the Acme Inverter repair outlet located above Vito's garage;)

Loc told me about Acme; it is on his list of premo repairs shops!

Jon,

I agree - it's a beauty and it's the last of the XLs. But I'm gonna miss the slides. Well, Paul Horner adjusted to no slides I guess I can. The question is, will Louise and my girls adjust? They are hell bent on those slides. It's the same discussion every time we talk about it! Well, maybe one day.

truk4u
11-03-2008, 08:07 PM
Ah, er, Jon, were you talking to me?:rolleyes: I've spent so many hours wearing the electronic stethoscope I need direction....

Jon Wehrenberg
11-03-2008, 08:18 PM
Truk,

What have you found?

rfoster
11-03-2008, 09:10 PM
Hey Truk: The cable tracker I bought at the tool store works great. It works on phone wire, coax, audio, video, even electric . It works great. I am seldom impressed with the performance of the stuff you buy from Asia, but this thing works super and if you would like to borrow it - I am sure we could work something out.

I could mail it or ups it to you along with a copy of my CC manual that has pictures. It also talks about slides and how to dump the tanks by pulling the levers.

I also discovered the CC is adding to their website daily under the area of customer support. I can put in my Vin number or coach number and begin a part search by description or part number or let it default and you get all the parts. Whew, a little overwhelming. Includes plumbing fittings, bulbs, appliances, and everything in between - to bedspreads. I suppose I will stick to local suppliers for tires, batteries, fuel.

merle&louise
11-03-2008, 10:35 PM
Roger,

What is their website? When I Google CC I get countrycoach.com and that doesn't have any info on Prevost!

truk4u
11-04-2008, 07:44 AM
Tuga - The King is full of sheep do do... He had a dream about the CC website, woke up and it was Liberty.:p

Jon - I'm stuck, nowhere else to go.