PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a Towbar

aggies09
06-27-2008, 12:01 PM
I could use some advice. After searching past postings I cannot get a read on a recommended tow bar system. I have researched Roadmaster and Blue Ox and both look good. I would like to know from those of you who have been doing this a lot longer what you would recommend. I will be towing a Jeep Liberty as my toad but want to beef up to the 10,000 lb. rated bars in case I want to tow a heavier vehicle in the future. thanks for the input.

Danss
06-27-2008, 12:14 PM
Have used two types of Blue Ox towbars on 2 different Buses and very satisfied with both. purchased my last one used from someone on this site
http://www.hitchtrader.com/SearchAds.cfm?ctg=4&submit=Search. Saved a bunch. Check it out. Dan

Ray Davis
06-27-2008, 02:26 PM
I have used both and haven't had any issues with either.

The RoadMaster baseplate which mounts on your vehicle is generally in two pieces, and doesn't have any cross bracing between the two. Because of that, the RoadMaster towbar itself, has a heavy cross bar, which provides that bracing.

The Blue Ox baseplates, have the cross brace member on the car itself, so the tow bar only has the two arms coming out to the hitch.

I think the Blue Ox looks a bit more invisible on the car.

But in the end, both work, and work well.

Ray

jack14r
06-27-2008, 03:16 PM
I have a Roadmaster 10,000 LB. non binding tow bar and it works fine,I tow a Chevy pickup with a golf cart in the bed and it might weigh 7500 Lbs.when loaded.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
06-27-2008, 03:50 PM
I just had installed the Aventa LX 10K tow bar from Blue Ox. They also have the base plates that are meant for and install properly on my H3 Hummer.

This is the only one I have ever had, but like it very much. The heavy Blue Ox Tow Bar stays on the back of the bus, and only the barely visible base plates are on the H3. I have heard Blue Ox is easier to hook up than the Roadmaster, but not sure if it is true or Not. I like it.

I didn't want Peg to have to lift the heavy tow bar each time to connect to the hummer, so I went this route. :p :D

Gary S.

aggies09
06-27-2008, 04:23 PM
Thanks to all of you. Your input really helped me. I decided to go with the Blue Ox setup. Now all I have to do is wait until it gets here so that I can install.

I can't wait to get back out on the road.

lewpopp
06-27-2008, 10:10 PM
Here's the bottom line.... I have used Blue Ox for more than 30 years(it may be ) and they have addressed all and any problems. The only thing that pisses me off is that the owner lives in the same park as we do and will not talk to anyone. It must be nice to come inheirit something like that and not have the personality of a bolt.

chtree
05-08-2009, 09:21 PM
I had a friend who is in the process of purchasing a coach ask if there is a special locking mechanism other than the tumbler. We have a blue oox aventa lx and towed our yukon xl 600 miles home from nashvlle without any problems. Has anyone ever had or heard of a problem with toad front end?

If the wheel lock failed would it still track ok?