PDA

View Full Version : Wave form guard

ken&ellen
06-01-2006, 09:12 AM
With the unfortunate photos of the H3 fire I was reminded of a small piece inside the microwave / convection oven. This piece of card board with a silver colored coating can develop carbon deposits which can cause arcing and even a fire! Since reading the warning online we checked our unit and guess what ....our unit was carbonized and glowing during the defrost cycle:eek: We immediately ordered a replacement...under $3 and resolved the problem. Take a few seconds and check it out. Any discoloring or carbon is not normal...replace immediately. I believe the website is www.parts store.com or something close to that. Ken & Ellen

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-25-2008, 02:50 PM
What does anyone know if anything about the wave form guide cover mentioned in the preceding post.

Mine glowed dark orange red and I was told the microwave tube was burned out? Wondering how that could be though.

Isn't it somewhat logical to think that, if the tube were burned out, one would expect nothing to happen.

This is a Sharp microwave convection unit.

Any opinions on weather to replace with the combo unit or just go with a straight microwave are welcome.

Thanks, JIM

truk4u
12-25-2008, 08:24 PM
Jim,

Why not try just replacing the wave form guide? I also had to change one, no big deal and cheap. Mine was kind of sparking, but don't know if it glowed like yours.

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-25-2008, 10:05 PM
So tom, when you replaced the cover was everything copesetic?

JIN:confused:

gmcbuffalo
12-26-2008, 01:46 AM
What's a "wave form guide"? What does it look like?
GregM

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-26-2008, 09:38 AM
Greg, to my understanding it is a duct for the microwaves to follow from the source/tube into the cooking chamber. It is usually covered with something like mica or plastic " the cover" at the opening to the cabinet to make the cabinet appear nice and be easy to clean. A lot of speculation here. Someone in the know please clarify/enlighten.

I don't understand how "the cover" can be so critical to the proper operation of the oven?
So you mean if the guy's at Raytheon that invented the microwave didn't have a cover on their first devise, it didn't work :eek: I think not!

The faster we go the behinder we get!:cool:

JIM

truk4u
12-26-2008, 12:45 PM
Jim,

Yes that solved my problem. It's just like a piece of cardboard and takes about a minute to change out.

gmcbuffalo
12-26-2008, 03:25 PM
So if your microwave has areas in the cooking chamber that are hotter than others it could be a wave guide problem? Where do you get new ones.
GregM

lewpopp
12-26-2008, 09:53 PM
I guess you get them from Truk.

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-26-2008, 10:29 PM
Greg, I ordered from http://www.partstore.com/
In their site search your brand and model, and then look for the part you want. If you have a part number it is easy, but if not, there is some guessing and hoping, because they do not show pictures of what you are ordering.

The cover I ordered was priced at .95 and seemed to fit the description of what I wanted, but I won't know until I receive it. The shipping was $7.95.:eek:

JIM

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-26-2008, 10:49 PM
The magnetron tube is powered by a hi voltage supply with enough amps to easily KILL you!

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-26-2008, 10:50 PM
The magnetron tube is powered by a hi voltage supply with enough amps to easily KILL you!

JIM

Yankee802
12-26-2008, 10:59 PM
Jim,

Yes that solved my problem. It's just like a piece of cardboard and takes about a minute to change out.

Thank you for the picture of the item in question, however I still have no idea where this is located in the microwave. Anyone what to describe this in detail or with pictures? :)

Geoff

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Geoff for you.

truk4u
12-27-2008, 07:59 PM
Jimmy C,

The King was known to cook Possum in the mic, so that may explain the problem.:D

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-27-2008, 09:30 PM
Yesir, Truk, that there is sure negative bling, and could very well have been caused by possum. Bein a northerner I never would have thought of that!
I was thinkin coon, but didn't want to say nuthin.;):D

JIM

rfoster
12-27-2008, 11:01 PM
You Yankees just dont know do you? Most of the time road kill is cooked over a fire on a good stick or sometimes grilled. Folks used to boil it, but sometimes undesirable stuff floats to the top.

I hear that Texans use Microwaves and the armadillo shell pops when done.

You might get a class when you do the OKC rally.

Yankee802
12-28-2008, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the pic Jim. I'm not sure if mine has that or not, I'll take a look after work, but mine must be newer, being it's all white inside.

Pete
12-28-2008, 06:19 PM
Roger,
That is one way to prepare the armadillo, but the most common way is to put it on a 1x6 pine board, cook for about 1 hour, remove the armadillo....and eat the board.

sawdust_128
12-28-2008, 07:03 PM
Roger,
That is one way to prepare the armadillo, but the most common way is to put it on a 1x6 pine board, cook for about 1 hour, remove the armadillo....and eat the board.

Having lived east of the Appalachians & Adirondacks my whole life, some enlightenment please. If one were preparing armadillo for a crowd, would you serve salsa, hot sauce or both with the board?:rolleyes:

JIM KELLER
12-28-2008, 07:59 PM
Roger,

Pete, Down here in Florida we SHOOT EM ! They tear up our lawns, flower gardens and vegetable gardens. Nine so far ! Come down some time and get some target practice !

Pete
12-29-2008, 09:31 PM
Jim,
Thanks for the target practice invitation! Be careful about taking out all of the armadillos, you know times may be getting hard and you never know how the food chain will survive!