PDA

View Full Version : Remote filters-Oil Cooler and Engine Oil Temp. Guage

Joe Cannarozzi
06-20-2008, 09:58 PM
Had this stuff Laying around the garage since we bought this truck 10 yrs. ago. Finally got them on today.

The location for the stock spin on filter on the lower rear of a Dodge 318 V-8.

Now replaced by this.
2 kits here-First is an engine oil cooler adapter and then a remote filter adapter screwed into it (you can see them laying seperate on the table in the first picture, lower right). They both were supposed to have 2 lines for each but I plugged the return on the cooler and plugged the supply on the remote filter attatchment, plumbed them in line and was able to eliminate 2 of the 4 hoses. It flows out of the engine to the filters first then through the cooler and back.

This pic. is right behind the right headlight, the inside fender. There is a Oil Temp. sensor plumbed into this housing and I've got some Stewart-Warner Engine & Trans Oil Temp. gauges in pods on the A-Post in the cab:cool:

Upped the oil Capacity to 7&1/2 qts.:cool:
Got some black plastic loom guard to put on the hoses after making sure everything is not leaking and I'll do that and zip tie everything tomorrow.

hhoppe
06-20-2008, 11:30 PM
Good job Joe. Now conjure up a air cooled transmission oil cooler for transmission fluid cooling while retarders are in use on our busses.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-21-2008, 09:48 AM
Harry,

You already have a transmission fluid intercooler. It is the round cylinder low on the driver's side next to the engine oil pan.

The temperature reading is taken at the output of the retarder, immediately prior to entering the intercooler. It does not show the actual transmission fluid temperature in the transmission.

phorner
06-21-2008, 10:12 AM
Joe, that looks like a pretty slick set up. Any idea as to how much difference it will make?

Great job!

Joe Cannarozzi
06-21-2008, 12:56 PM
Don't know Paul. Normal oil temps. are 180. So if we can keep them close to that pulling or in stop and go that would be good.

Jack 14r-do you have engine oil temp gauges on those cup cars and if so how high have you seen it get during a failure or extreme conditions.

When all else fails.