PDA

View Full Version : Back Up Camera

Gary & Peggy Stevens
06-19-2008, 01:03 PM
I have an Intec Back Up Camera # CVC 127MI on my bus, that I have already had to replace twice. Kept malfunctioning and not giving a good video in the bus, during daylight.

So anyway I thought I would put a better Camera in this time, CVC210AFMMI cost more and they will give me credit for the unit that didn't work. So far so good. :(

I get the new camera and oh darn, guess what? It is not the same shape of camera,( square vs round ) and the housing the new camera came in, is too small for the hole on the back of the bus. CRAP !

I will try and post pictures next. Any suggestions on making a square camera fit in the place of a round camera, and the mounting holes of course don't line up either.

I would rather figure out how to put the smaller sq. camera in the prepainted box, but not sure the best way to mount it steady in there? :(

Thanks

Gary S.

Jerry Winchester
06-19-2008, 02:34 PM
Spongebob,

Can't you just grind the round hole into a square and mount the other one in the painted housing or am I missing something there?

Bring it out to the hanger this weekend and you can use my die grinder and hammer(s) to make it fit.

JDUB

Sid Tuls
06-19-2008, 02:42 PM
Gary,

Could you tell where I can find those back up camera boxes like the ones you posted.

Sid Tuls

2007 Thompson

Gary & Peggy Stevens
06-19-2008, 05:25 PM
Sid: The painted box on the left came with my bus, and the white one came with the new camera I bought. I have not tried to find any new boxes yet, but I am sure they are somewhere out there on the internet.

Jdub: No I can't just grind the round hole into a square hole, and then beat the camera into the back of the box, BUT thanks for the idea? :D

The problem is not insurmoutable cause I have friends like you to help come up with ideas. I just haven't heard the Correct solution yet? :p

We will be down in Kemah in the bus this weekend @ Via Bayou spending some quality time with my mother -in -Law. Yes I have lots of alcohol.:D

Gary S.

Joe Cannarozzi
06-19-2008, 07:35 PM
Gary

You really should not have too much trouble making that round hole square.

The original housing already has the correct paint and the new camera is smaller so it will fit. That is a win-win.

That piece looks plastic or fiberglass and even if it is metal would be easy to modify.

Take your time considering, thinking and laying everything out and you will be fine. I might try to cut it with a scroll saw. I would protect the painted surface by covering it with gummed tape and flip it upside down so the painted side is down to the face of the saw table.

If you damage it go to plan B. Attach a slightly larger flange to the existing flange on the new housing and bond it with epoxy. Paint it black.

Take up JUB on his offer if you don't think you have the skill. I'm sure he was only joking about the hammer and a die grinder will work with a real steady hand.

IMO This prioject is a good excuse to buy a scroll saw.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
06-19-2008, 10:28 PM
Take up JUB on his offer if you don't think you have the skill. I'm sure he was only joking about the hammer and a die grinder will work with a real steady hand.

Joe, Have you ever met JDUB ??? :confused: He wasn't joking about the hammer...:D

Actually I will probably be able to make this work, I just have to think about it for the weekend, over some cocktails with friends.

Gary S.

Joe Cannarozzi
06-19-2008, 10:43 PM
I've met him.

I am looking at the new camera and it looks like it might have a round lense in that square frame. You might try mocking it up behind that round hole and turn it on before doing any cutting and it just might be O/K.

hhoppe
06-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Cut to suit, pound to fit and paint to match. It's the Prevost way.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-20-2008, 02:30 PM
Gary,

I slept in the bus last night, not a Holiday Inn Express so this may all be wrong. It appears the camera is mounted to the white cover so to my way of thinking step one would be to remove it from that white cover.

To mount it to the painted cover which I assume matches your coach, you somehow need to add a glass cover. A pane of glass can be cut into the size you need easily. I suggest you cut two and using silicone adhesive such as RTV you bond one to the housing, and then by applying a bead around the periphery of that one you create a double pane glass cover that acts like a thermopane glass to minimize or prevent fogging.

The camera then needs to be mounted. You can likely make brackets to mount the camera from aluminum, bond those brakets to the housing using a two part epoxy for a permanent bond, and then you should be able to mount the camera to the brackets. Future camera replacement then should be fairly easy.

I did the double pane glass thing on my original coach and it worked like a charm. My camera mounting brackets on my coach are bonded to the fibreglass housing like I described so you ahould have no trouble.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
06-22-2008, 06:18 PM
Thanks Jon, Harry and guys for your ideas.

We just spent a weekend with Kevin and his wife, who own a CC Magna some friend of ours, and he too gave me some great ideas, about using spacers and plastic lens' to mount the new camera in my painted camera box.

Thanks for the help. Usefull as always.

Gary S.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
06-24-2008, 12:55 PM
Gary, Could you tell where I can find those back up camera boxes like the ones you posted.
Sid Tuls 2007 Thompson

Sid or anyone else that is interested.

I have finished getting my smaller square camera installed in the larger round hole plastic bracket for the back of my bus and plan on mounting it later this week. :)

The original white square plastic housing that is pictured on my first post up above, is available to the first person that speaks up. Just pay for the shipping to your location and its yours.

The size is 4 1/4" square, by about 3" deep, with as you can see a Square hole for your B/U camera, or if you are creative like JDUB, you can pound in a round camera in that hole? :eek: :D

Just PM me with your details.

Gary S.

Tully
06-24-2008, 11:13 PM
My back up camera monitor took a dump. Where can I purchase a new monitor and camera? Looking to put in a color set up.

Is this a special camera? I do see items on ebay but not certain if they would fit the application for the bus.

Tully Lee

tdelorme
06-25-2008, 09:27 AM
About as good as it gets for what you need. Call them and they will fix you up without going overboard. Also good phone support if you run into problems.

http://www.rvcams.com/

Jon Wehrenberg
06-25-2008, 09:47 AM
Ditto what Ted said.

I replaced a monitor that was about 20 months old. It died so I asked about sending it in to fix it. They said nobody fixes stuff anymore so I ordered a new replacement. Without asking I was given a 50% credit even though it was out of warranty because Tim, the owner said it should not have failed.

Excellent folks to deal with.

Tully
06-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Great site. Wonder if I am going to have to run all new wiring or if this is "plug and play"...?

Tully Lee Garrett

Sid Tuls
07-14-2008, 02:41 PM
Gary, if you still have that back-up camera lens I sure would like to buy it from you. Let me know how much. Thanks

Sid & Judy Tuls
2007 ThompsonXL11 D/S