PDA

View Full Version : Air Time

Joe Cannarozzi
06-16-2008, 06:42 PM
For all who haven't seen, our very own Jon got some local TV news coverage for his rescue flights.

Go to www.Prevost-stuff.com and click on the pilots for paws logo and you can watch it there.

Outstanding Jon and hopefully it will land a few more plane owners to help out.

rmboies
06-16-2008, 08:57 PM
[QUOTE=Joe Cannarozzi;30773]For all who haven't seen, our very own Jon got some local TV news coverage for his rescue flights.

And this is also the perfect opportunity to thank everyone once again for donating to this program, along with the rescue charity, at POGV! The crates Jon is using were purchased from those funds and as you can see by viewing the newsclip, we are starting to get some excellent coverage....HUGE thanks to Jon and the other pilots. We are hopeful that more pilots will find this a worthwhile venture.

Joe, there is also another news spot by a different station who was there for this flight as well. It is really nice to know a celebrity:D

Here is the link for the other clip....just scroll down and look in the lower right hand corner under Most Read Stories......there will be a link their for Pilots-N-Paws...

http://www.wbir.com

Debi

Jon Wehrenberg
06-16-2008, 09:26 PM
How about the rest of you pilots on board doing a puppy flight? It is more fun than the $100 hamburger. Except when they poop.

tdelorme
06-16-2008, 09:57 PM
"Except when they poop"

Don't Worry. It's Jon's fault. He knew what those Tacos would do!!

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i174/tdelorme1/dogs.jpg

lewpopp
06-16-2008, 09:58 PM
Jon, you're the man. That hits a real soft spot in my heart.

hhoppe
06-17-2008, 05:08 PM
Jon: Thank you very much from us K9 lovers. Does your group have any poster type information sheets? I'm of the opinion this could catch on by other private pilots throughout the country. I know private pilots are looking for any excuse to crank up and go somewhere. I'm thinking of a resturant named Wings that we frequent at the GA Airport in Auburn CA. A poster on their wall would be viewed by many pilots. I'm sure other locations would work as well. If your group can get them printed I will cover the cost and help with the distribution. Poggers everywhere could help with the personal distribution.

flyu2there
06-18-2008, 08:10 AM
Jon,

I trust that the dogs are sedated to some degree....and have empty stomachs, bladders and bowels? I would be happy to help out, but only in the cooler months!

I often pull the rear five seats in my airplane and have a rear loading door that will eat just about anything. My a/c is not pressurized and the heat of the Desert Southwest requires me to climb like a home sick angel to at least 12,000 feet for cooler air and less thermal activity.....even then if I have a group of "non-flyers", people that is, there is usually one that needs the sick sac, which often translates to two, three or four as the sounds and aroma make their way around the cabin! Now that's people, people who have a modicum of control over their physical being, dogs do not have that luxury!

I cheat, I carry a small jar of Vicks Vapor Rub and put a small dabble on my upper lip, which keeps me from joining in on the solo, duet or whatever! Not too smart if I am having to suck on the hose but a godsend nevertheless!

I also couldn't help but notice a couple of things on your video......the most obvious being a need for a quart or two of Artic White Imron to be appropriately sprayed onto your nose cowl :D...............after normal prepartions that is. And what's up with the reporter standing next to a turbo-prop blade :cool: Finally, did you have a clearance to pop up into those clouds and disappear or was that one of those ATR Climbs to VHF on top :D

Happy to help out.......

John

rmboies
06-18-2008, 09:07 AM
Jon: If your group can get them printed I will cover the cost and help with the distribution. Poggers everywhere could help with the personal distribution.

Harry, we don't have any poster as yet! I am just working on getting all the crates/kennels, harnesses, etc. and getting them mailed to the pilots who have joined us. Jon is busy doing the flying and networking with the press:D

I really like your idea, great advertising, and lord knows we do need to get the word out to more pilots. There are areas of the country with a substantial need to move animals to rescues out of state and we have no pilots available in those areas to help.

We hope to get together and formulate the next step of our goal. What type of poster did you have in mind?

Debi

rmboies
06-18-2008, 09:12 AM
[QUOTE=flyu2there;30829]Jon,
I trust that the dogs are sedated to some degree....and have empty stomachs, bladders and bowels? I would be happy to help out, but only in the cooler months! >>

Hey John, nope, no sedation for any of the dogs flown so far! Only a couple have had a little initial dry heave activity but most of the dogs have been fine. I will let Jon tell you about the pups with diarrhea in a pressurized cabin, I think he could have used your Vicks!

All the dogs are confined to various size crates with the exception of a very large breed like a Newfoundland...for them we have very nice harnesses and tether them to the back seat through the seatbelt lines. So far, they normally lie down on the seat of the floor and go to sleep. A little cotton in their ears to cut the noise but other then that, they are just on restricted food before flights.

Did I hear you correctly are you volunteering?:D

Debi

Jon Wehrenberg
06-18-2008, 11:24 AM
Jon,

My plane is pressurized and has AC so my passengers are comfortable, as they should be.

Eat your heart out.

flyu2there
06-18-2008, 06:43 PM
Debi,

Yes, consider me a volunteer....but not in the Summer. I have enough issues with human beeins in the heat, dogs won't make the team in 115 degree weather, but you knew that.

Jon, so you are pressurizzed and have air con.....whats up with the paint...I guess that's a Liberty Thing:D

PS, I am still way faster than you......................

John

hhoppe
06-18-2008, 07:04 PM
Deb; My eye was caught by the colorful logo of the paw prints and plane. I.E.
Exerianced Pilots Wanted to Transport Valuable Cargo
This Volunteer Project Needs Your Help
A description of the system and a space to enter the national and local areas contact persons name and information. Two size posters 11X17 for posting in public spaces and larger posters where space is not limited.
I'm not a pilot myself, so I will have to do some digging in our N. CA area for contacts. Darl is a former pilot in Reno, NV, he may offer me some help getting this area started. Please explain how the dogs are matched up with the shelters and there new owners for me.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-18-2008, 07:16 PM
I told the guy not to video the crappy paint, so of course they feature it.

My plane is a tool. But it has AC.

truk4u
06-18-2008, 07:43 PM
I can't get the link to work for the video!

Coloradobus
06-18-2008, 07:52 PM
Way to go Jon. You have a BIG heart!!! We rescued a Smooth Coat Fox Terrier last June and added him to our collection: the two schnauzers.

rmboies
06-18-2008, 08:42 PM
[QUOTE=hhoppe;30878]Deb; My eye was caught by the colorful logo of the paw prints and plane. I.E.
Exerianced Pilots Wanted to Transport Valuable Cargo
This Volunteer Project Needs Your Help>>

Harry, when Jon returns from visiting his daughter, we hope to sit down and formulate the next part of the program. For now, we are sharing a bulletin board forum website that one of the pilots manages. You can view it by going to www.pilotsnpaws.org and clicking on the Forum board. Once on the site, there is a page for rescues to post their request. There is also a page for pilots to list their information. Pilots either view the request board, looking for a situation they can help with, or rescues can also look at the pilot list and send them a private message.

Though we appreciate the free space given to us by the pilot who owns this board, we really need a place of our own. It will come to that, we are slowly working our way there, but with just Jon and myself it is not progressing as quickly as we would like. Jon working with the "exculsive" shelter of Knoxville last weekend certainly gave our cause a boost. There are also various ground transport groups that Jon monitors to see who needs help. Most of these are all on yahoogroups. Other pilots can certainly do this as well.

I appreciate your ideas and hopefully we can get to a point where we can utilize them! I think we need a day with more hours in it:D

Debi

rmboies
06-18-2008, 08:45 PM
Debi,

Yes, consider me a volunteer....but not in the Summer. I have enough issues with human beeins in the heat, dogs won't make the team in 115 degree weather, but you knew that.
John

Hey John, thanks for volunteering! Yes, the commercial airlines will not even fly animals in extreme temps either.

I don't think the dogs care that Jon's paint is peeling:D