PDA

View Full Version : power steering

rickdesilva
06-15-2008, 11:16 PM
When I park my bus in the garage I sort of tuck her into a corner. So when I start her up to take her out I have to crank the wheel to the right to get her out . No big deal. My bus has been idle for a few weeks. Yesterday, I went to pull her out and did the normal routine. Start up, build air etc. but it was like I had no power steering! I did a back and forth right crank until I cleared the garage then she seemed OK. Putting her away, All operations seemed normal "tucking" her back in. Today I figured I would try again and the same thing..no power steering so, I put my athletic supporter on and grunted her out and then after rolling forward a bit everything seemed fine. The PS fluid level is fine and reving the engine made no difference in the inability to steer. Any ever experience this? No problems at all once underway only at the start up. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-16-2008, 07:29 AM
I'm clueless Rick, but since steering is not something to be without I would get on the horn to the Prevost experts, possibly at the engineering level. Since power steering pumps are merely gear pumps they either work or they don't, so I suspect you issue has to do with valving in the steering sector. Why it happens is the question.

FWIW, if you want a little help when the steering is not working lift the tag. It won't make the steering stop malfuncting (I made that word up, Lew) but it takes a little weight off the front end.

rickdesilva
06-16-2008, 09:46 AM
Thanks Jon,
I haven't tried it yet, but I think it may be related to the front height. I don't move until all systems are ready but perhaps your suggestion of lifting the tag or perhaps raising the front manually will help. I'll let you know!

Jon Wehrenberg
06-16-2008, 01:17 PM
I suggested lifting the tag to take a little weight off the front axle so when it does not work in close quarters the effort to turn the wheel will not be as great.

I don't think the ride height affects the power steering. The front ride height definitely affects handling, but I can't imagine the power steering would be disabled if the bus is up or down.

garyde
06-16-2008, 10:55 PM
After driving all day, I turned off my engine to go inside to register at an RV Park. When I came back out and fired up the Coach, my power steering did not work. I moved the Coach forward 20 or so feet and suddenly it worked. That was almost two years ago and I have not had the problem again. I guess it was a hic up with the pump, or the fluid was too hot, or some other one time event.

Petervs
06-16-2008, 11:42 PM
Interesting subject. I think we all agree it should not operate this way. Something is amiss.

Lifting the tag would be a stopgap measure to help move the coach only, not a correct way to solve this problem.

When you lift the tag the steering should get easier because the weight on the front axle decreases by about 10% ( do the math...it is not a significant amount in my opinion), and more so because the turning radius becomes better because the effective wheelbase is shorter, and there is less "squirming" of the tires in the back.

When you first start the engine, maybe the belt is slipping that drives the power steering pump? Maybe the pneumatic belt tensioner has not come up to pressure yet? maybe the belt or pulley is worn?

I would go back and look at the engine while it is running when the power steering is not operating correctly, you might learn a lot!

You could "work" the power steering a bit by just turning the wheel back and forth with the bus not moving to see if it gets going.

Joe Cannarozzi
06-17-2008, 09:33 AM
Did you try shutting it off and restarting and did you try waiting longer?

I am surprised that they changed these things over to belt from gear driven???????????

Maybe it has an air pocket.

truk4u
06-17-2008, 03:37 PM
It's gear driven unless they made a big change. Don't forget the more obvious possibility, air in the system. There is a procedure to purge out the air, but I don't remember the details.

Petervs
06-17-2008, 06:41 PM
Yes of course it is gear driven. I guess I was thinking itsy bitsy little vehicles.

Anyway, the Prevost Car website has the instructions for troubleshooting and bleeding the system.

http://technicalpublications.prevostparts.com/en/manuel.asp

Choose your model coach and year, click on technical publications, and then chapter 14, steering.

Good luck, and tell us what you find out to solve this problem.

rickdesilva
06-17-2008, 09:30 PM
thanks for all the info, I haven't been out there yet....I'll report back

rickdesilva
07-02-2008, 02:41 PM
I checked and followed all the suggestions and procedures regarding bleeding, which was not necessary on my unit, so I finally emailed Prevost and figured that this may be a little over my head. They basically diagnosed it bad power steering pump. I couldn't figure why at a dead stop the wheel was almost impossible to move and rolling just a little gave me back my power steering this didn't sound logical to me but, my experience with the South Brunswick NJ Prevost facility has been great so I trust their info.. So a new pump and fliter and fluid change gets me 100% again. :)

07-03-2008, 11:11 AM
I checked and followed all the suggestions and procedures regarding bleeding, which was not necessary on my unit, so I finally emailed Prevost and figured that this may be a little over my head. They basically diagnosed it bad power steering pump. I couldn't figure why at a dead stop the wheel was almost impossible to move and rolling just a little gave me back my power steering this didn't sound logical to me but, my experience with the South Brunswick NJ Prevost facility has been great so I trust their info.. So a new pump and fliter and fluid change gets me 100% again. :)
Hello to All,

We were at the Prevost Service center in Quebec last week to have a few items addressed. While there I mentioned that at the end of a driving day that I noticed that the steering was starting to get more difficult and it would start to squeal when I was making slow turns while moving, with some back pressure.

Their best mechanic (Marcel) who my possibly be the most knowledgeable Prevost Mechanic on earth, confirmed by Quebec Prevost, inspected the power steering and determined that we needed to bleed the system, drain all fluids and replace the power steering fluid with a heavier motor oil. We went through the process together, draining, replacing the filter cleaning out the reservoir and bleeding off the air. Of all the things that I have done to this bus I can say that the outcome from this one item makes an enormous difference in the steering, handling, tightness and feel over the road. Great value.

PS> The first thoughts from the service writer was that I needed to replace the pump.

If any of you are ever at Quebec Prevost, ask for Marcel to work on your Bus. He did about ten little items to our Bus that really showed me just how careful and experienced he is.

One Example: He checked all fluid levels including wheel bearing, transmission and drive axle. He added small amounts in some cases and removed excess fluids in other, including over filled wheel bearings and Drive axle, just small amounts put very careful. All business with great attention to detail.

I would recommend this to anyone who is experiencing any steering issues.

hhoppe
07-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Steering box Adjustments: My guess is one of the things Marcel did to improve your steering was adjust the slack in your steering box gears. This has to be done carefully. No more than a quarter to a half turn tight to remove slack. Too much causes damage to the gears. When I first got my 91 Royale I found myself herding it between the lines. A visit to an experianced heavy truck front end alighnment shop gave me a new driving experiance. A few years later I had the alighnment checked and it was right on and the steering box got another 1/4 turn tight and it put it right on. I find the motor shops know motors and do not know chasis any more than alignmet people know motors. You don't take your feet to a cardioligist,

mike kerley
07-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Harry, My feet go with me everywhere!:p

dreamchasers
07-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Hello to All,

We were at the Prevost Service center in Quebec last week to have a few items addressed. While there I mentioned that at the end of a driving day that I noticed that the steering was starting to get more difficult and it would start to squeal when I was making slow turns while moving, with some back pressure.

Their best mechanic (Marcel) who my possibly be the most knowledgeable Prevost Mechanic on earth, confirmed by Quebec Prevost, inspected the power steering and determined that we needed to bleed the system, drain all fluids and replace the power steering fluid with a heavier motor oil. We went through the process together, draining, replacing the filter cleaning out the reservoir and bleeding off the air. Of all the things that I have done to this bus I can say that the outcome from this one item makes an enormous difference in the steering, handling, tightness and feel over the road. Great value.

PS> The first thoughts from the service writer was that I needed to replace the pump.

If any of you are ever at Quebec Prevost, ask for Marcel to work on your Bus. He did about ten little items to our Bus that really showed me just how careful and experienced he is.

One Example: He checked all fluid levels including wheel bearing, transmission and drive axle. He added small amounts in some cases and removed excess fluids in other, including over filled wheel bearings and Drive axle, just small amounts put very careful. All business with great attention to detail.

I would recommend this to anyone who is experiencing any steering issues.

Bruce,

Your post said Marcel removed the power steering fluid and replaced it with heavier motor oil. Do you recall what he replaced the transmission fluid with? Very interesting?? My 95 CC has transmission fluid in the power steer reservoir located in the rear of the coach, in battery compartment. My power steering fells OK, but I do not have anything to compare it to. But this sounds like a very doable task with great improvements.

Hector

PS. Dirt and concrete are flying around my house. We have started modifications to build a bus barn.

Larry W
07-03-2008, 11:27 PM
The previous owner of my coach had most of the service done at Prevost. My PS tank has a rather large sticker "Use 10 - 40 Motor Oil". This thread has allowed me to stop wondering why the change.

07-04-2008, 07:29 AM
The previous owner of my coach had most of the service done at Prevost. My PS tank has a rather large sticker "Use 10 - 40 Motor Oil". This thread has allowed me to stop wondering why the change.
Good morning Larry & Hector,

I will try and answer both questions with this response. I believe the motor oil specs are correct, but am waiting for my bill to be emailed to me to get the details. I will forward them on when I get the bill.

As for the fluid replacement, its the black reservoir up and behind the air cleaner on a series 60 engine. It takes some time and its good to have someone who can turn the wheels back and forth from lock to lock to remove the air while filling. Marcel took careful steps to make sure that the lines where full, before closing up the top.

I would call Prevost Quebec and ask "Jose" to get the exact info for you, she is a wonderful resource person who has access to all data and sits around the corner from the service techs and management. She is also the best looking Prevost employee that I have ever seen to date and very close if not ahead of the Mango's "Corona" girl. Smart and cute, great combo.

dreamchasers
07-04-2008, 07:56 AM
Very Interesting! Thanks for the response.

Hector

Joe Cannarozzi
07-04-2008, 09:09 AM
10-40, that is what I run in the steering pump in my CAT motor.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
07-06-2008, 08:45 PM
I would call Prevost Quebec and ask "Jose" to get the exact info for you, she is a wonderful resource person who has access to all data and sits around the corner from the service techs and management. She is also the best looking Prevost employee that I have ever seen to date and very close if not ahead of the Mango's "Corona" girl. Smart and cute, great combo.

Hey Bruce, WHAT NO PICTURE? :( Where is the picture of Jose? We just got's to see this Prevost data technician?

Gary S.

07-07-2008, 06:54 AM
Hey Bruce, WHAT NO PICTURE? :( Where is the picture of Jose? We just got's to see this Prevost data technician?

Gary S.
Thats funny you say that. I ran back in to say goodbye and take a few pics. Jose had taken a vacation day and was not there. Should have done so when she and I had dinner together.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
07-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Thats funny you say that. I ran back in to say goodbye and take a few pics. Jose had taken a vacation day and was not there. Should have done so when she and I had dinner together.

If you snooze you looose? And what did you guys have for dinner? :confused: :D

Gary S.

07-07-2008, 10:38 AM
If you snooze you looose? And what did you guys have for dinner? :confused: :D

Gary S.
Unfortunately it was in my dreams. I will do a better job with the pics next time.

In the meantime call Jose and ask her a few technical questions, she is the best with this stuff.

We should invite her to our rallies instead of Bill Jensen.

Bruce

Garynmike
07-20-2018, 06:55 AM
The LINK to the Prevost page for the PS no longer works! Anyone able to update it site location?

Garynmike
07-20-2018, 07:07 AM
:mad:
My 1981 Le Mirage turns fairly easily to the right but is a real bear when turning to the left! So, I guess that eliminates air in the line, low fluid level.... and just leaves me with a bad power steering pump!? Any ideas/thoughts on what I might try to be sure before I attempt to buy a new pump? And now that we’re talking purchase of a new pump just what might I expect to pay and should I buy from Prevost or is this something I can purchase elsewhere more cheaply and with confidence?!

By the way, whatever happened to member 0533 :confused:

Joe Camper
07-20-2018, 08:14 AM
0533 r in Jupiter FL they have a marina there. His Marathon #0533 was 1 of the most unique Marathons I'd ever ran across.

I'd be interested in finding the bus again. Hey Al, Bernie u guys know who owns 0533 now?

There's two different pumps available for the older 8 V at least there used to be anyway the older weaker one may no longer even be around might be Obsolete and only the better ones available now what you've got on your bus if there's no service records you're going to have to investigate.

How many airbags are on your straight axle on a steer two or four I'm really curious. It could have four but at some point they did away with that design and went to two and I'm not sure if it was before or after they built yours.

Gil_J
07-20-2018, 08:55 AM
You'll find some documents and wiring diagrams here: https://secure5.volvo.com/technicalpublications/en/pub.asp

PrevostNewbie
05-22-2022, 09:52 PM
Today, I replaced the last filter I believe I have on my Bus. The power steering fluid filter. Wow was it bad.

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18354&stc=1http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18355&stc=1

BadFitter
05-23-2022, 09:36 AM
Wow! For a closed hydraulic system, that's incredible. I guess it might be VERY old.

PrevostNewbie
05-23-2022, 07:50 PM
LOL, I am thinking it must be original. Which is strange because of all the filters on the bus, that one is probably the easiest to change.

Fratto
05-28-2022, 11:43 AM
A couple of years ago at the West Palm Beach rally, the Prevost speaker reminded everyone that these need to be changed and for some reason they are not included in the normal level 1 or 2 service. When pushed by the attendees, he had to admit that he has no idea why Prevost does not change them unless asked.

PrevostNewbie
05-28-2022, 12:01 PM
That is just Odd considering how easy it is to change and how inexpensive the filter is. 5 minutes, and 12 dollars you are done.

Pipeliner Prevost
05-31-2022, 04:36 PM
Hey Fratto,
I see you have your new picture up of the Parliament. Looks cool man! How's it been so far?
Pipeliner Prevost Rick
780 919 8280
Andrew, AB.

Fratto
05-31-2022, 04:59 PM
Loving it! I am spending money on the usual chassis maintenance things, but the interior works better for us, the generator is on a slide, has the Parliament version of OTR air, train whistle, ultimate horn, minimal electronic controls, etc. .... and yes, I just replaced the fan clutch LOL. It appeared to be the old style original clutch and the low speed was out. A big thank you and at-a-boy to the folks at Panterra and Legacy Coach for helping us put the deal together on a days notice while at the West Palm Beach Show.