PDA

View Full Version : FL sidetrip advice

aggies09
06-15-2008, 10:20 PM
Jenny and I, along with 10 yr old son are going to Stuart, FL to pick up our new to us coach this Wednesday. I would like to break the trip back to Texas up a little with a side trip that the teenage wanabe would enjoy (not Disney). Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions. Keep in mind that I will be toadless so parking and walking proximities are a great plus.

JIM CHALOUPKA
06-15-2008, 10:48 PM
Jenny and I, along with 10 yr old son are going to Stuart, FL to pick up our new to us coach this Wednesday. I would like to break the trip back to Texas up a little with a side trip that the teenage wanabe would enjoy (not Disney). Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions. Keep in mind that I will be toadless so parking and walking proximities are a great plus.

Tony, Here is something, if the family likes horses. The facility is quite large (400 ac), and accommodating trucks and horse trailers is not a problem, so your bus should be OK. (no toad required) Call ahead to be sure. Here is the link:

http://www.fcmr.org/index.php

tdelorme
06-15-2008, 11:00 PM
Tony if you folks wanted to spend some time fishing, this guy is as good as it gets. You will catch a boatload of Red Snapper and have a ton of fun. I have fished with this guy for 20 years and we always have a great time. He is out of Pensacola and the Marina has plenty of shaded bus parking.

http://www.chuckscharters.com/pageDisplay.jsp?pageid=7604

Petervs
06-15-2008, 11:51 PM
Stop in Mobile Alabama and tour the Battleship USS Alabama. Self directed, you can climb all over it. A bunch of related stuff all around there too, other vessels and aircraft.

Jeff Bayley
06-16-2008, 06:36 AM
If you want to go to the first mega water park and STILL tops the list of the best water parks in the country to this day, go to http://www.schlitterbahn.com/nb/

They have locations all over the world but the one in New Braunfels, Texas is totally awesome.

Also, theirs a big "Thing" to do of floating down the spring fed river in an real inner tube (they rent them for 5 or 10 bucks and give you a shuttle ride back. You can take a cooler full of drinks and snacks and wedge it inside an extra tube and tie it off. Jello Shots are lot's of fun but don't drink too much becuase being in the heat and the sun will get you sicker than you think if your "conditioned" for it. Here's an excerpt from their web site.

There is also one of the countries most beautiful lakes about 1/2 hour outsie of Austin called Lake Travis that has a county park with hook ups and is cheap. The lake is 30 miles long. I think they rent boats and Jet Ski's for the kids but the water park is the thing that will make you a hero.

Voted the World's Best Waterpark
10 Years in a Row!

Bring the whole family and see why Schlitterbahn Waterpark Resort has been voted the best waterpark anywhere!
NEW BRAUNFELS, Texas – The Schlitterbahn family was again honored with top awards in the World’s Best Waterpark, World’s Best Waterpark Landscaping and the World’s Best Waterpark Ride categories during the 2007 Golden Ticket Award ceremony.

Our family-owned, family-friendly park offers FREE parking, FREE tubes, FREE lifejackets, and allows you to bring your own picnic (no glass or alcohol please).

Schlitterbahn Waterpark Resort in New Braunfels has over 3 miles of tubing adventures, 7 children’s water playgrounds,17 water slides, the world’s first surfing machine, and 3 uphill water coasters spread over 65 acres of fun!

Loc
06-16-2008, 09:14 AM
Tony,

Try the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola. Our kids love it. The beach at Gulf Shores is also a favorite stop for us on the way back from Florida. Gulf State Park has paved sites with 50 amp service.

Loc

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
06-16-2008, 09:22 AM
Tony, there is the Kennedy Space Center in Titusville, FL. It is VERY interesting and there is plenty of parking space. The shuttle just landed and you might get a chance to see it.
Sandy

BUSTER
06-16-2008, 11:03 AM
Jean & I agree with LOC...also schedule a viewing of the "Blues" into your trip...they fly right along side the Naval Flight Museum...it is all free....ENJOY..

aggies09
06-16-2008, 12:12 PM
Thanks guys. These are all excellent ideas. I will try to incorporate a couple into our return trip. I appreciate the help.

phorner
06-16-2008, 06:52 PM
There's also the Navy SEAL museum in Fort Pierce and, on Thursday nights, downtown Jensen Beach is great, lots of street vendors. Stop by Crawdaddy's for great food and drinks.....

Have fun and travel safe....

Jon Wehrenberg
06-16-2008, 09:24 PM
Tony, what Paul says is the gospel. Don't leave Stuart without getting to Crawdaddy's. Go early. Great food. Dave Wall can give directions. You can't take the bus. Parking is at a premium.

Sid Tuls
06-16-2008, 10:50 PM
Jon, could you tell me whats the best product to use on the stainless on my bus. I own a 2007 Thompson XL2. I've visted on here before about the lights in my bays. I had that fixed with Rick T. two weeks ago when my wife and I spent two in your great state!! Hope this is the right place to post this stuff. I'am new to this P.O.G. thing. Thanks in advance!

Sid & Judy Tuls
Visalia,Ca
2007 XL2 Thompson - 2007 Tahoe

Will Garner
06-16-2008, 11:03 PM
Sid & Judy,

Welcome to POG. You will find this site to be very interesting - as are those who post on the forum.

I've just wrapped up some work on this year's US Men's Open Championship in Torrey Pines, CA. We drove our coach all the way from North Carolina and stayed at the Chula Vista RV Resort. Jdub made the recommendation so I took it. I did do a grounds recon before plunking down a deposit. Fair warning, you just have to be careful about Jdub's advice. Sometimes it is spot on and others - well you get the point. Tomorrow we head north on the I-5 to Anaheim CA where we hope to get together with some other POG members for some food and fellowship. By the time we get back to NC we expect to have logged some 7,000 plus miles. Don't ask for a conversion to dollars of diesel

The best product I have found for polishing stainless is a good RV cleaning service. You can pay them and then sit back and watch the stainless go to gleaming without expending any of your own elbow grease! One of the POG site sponsors has some gee whiz products for stainless care. I just can't recall their name right now. There is most likely a link on the site that you can use.

Remember, nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina in the morning! If you are ever down our way, please stop in for some real sweet tea!

garyde
06-16-2008, 11:09 PM
Hi Sid. Everyone has their favorite. I use Turtle Wax for Chrome and Stainless. Nothing lasts because its stainless but it'll look and feel nice for a while.

Sid Tuls
06-16-2008, 11:27 PM
Thanks Will, I was at Pinehust last year on a golf trip. We played Pinehust #2 and stayed & played Forrest Creek for two days. Now for the open today can't say that I've ever seen better golf!! Sorry I didn't like the outcome just cheering on the old guy!! I just got back from a 5500 mile trip to Tenn. Just wish I could leave again tomarrow. About the diesel I just go see my kids in Amarilo,Tx stay a couple days longer than plan and you guessed it bus is fueled and they say nice seeing ya !! If you make it to the Central Valley your invited to come by the Ranch.

Sid & Judy Tuls
Visalia,Ca
2007 Thompson

rickdesilva
06-17-2008, 07:55 AM
Its great to have another Thompson on board...I was sort of feeling alone welcome!

Jerry Winchester
06-17-2008, 12:35 PM
Will,

That was way harsh. I was not the one to have you share the park with the ZitMan and JelloJeep.

You need to stop in Houston on the way home so Loc can buy us some BBQ.

JDUB

Gary & Peggy Stevens
06-17-2008, 06:00 PM
Sid, here are some products that I really like. Check out their website to see what you think?

http://metalwax.com/index.htm Talk to Austin, he knows his stuff.

Welcome Aboard POG, and I second JDUB's request for you to stop by if you come through Houston, cause LOC just loves to buy BBQ for everybody.

Gary S.

jack14r
06-17-2008, 07:46 PM
Sid,I use polishes from Busch Industries,their web site is bushshineproducts.com,they have aluminum and stainless polishes.They also have airways and rouge which are used on a buffer that will take out scratches and polish stainless to a very high shine,they sell direct and are very helpful on the phone.I have buffed out light and fairly deep scratches with their products.

truk4u
06-17-2008, 08:02 PM
Whoa!!!! Hay Jack ole boy, what's up with the new Avatar? A 2008 Liberty, we have to hear all about it....;)

Jerry Winchester
06-17-2008, 08:54 PM
That Jack is a subtle booger isn't he.........

I actually had a dream when I was on vacation that he bought a new Liberty. I had popped off when I bought his last hand-me-down coach that as long as he kept trading up, I would be in good shape. I just didn't know he was going to trade every year.

Congratulations on the new ride. Sorry Loc & BOB-00, but when I grow up I wanna be like Jack.

Les
06-17-2008, 09:12 PM
Try the RV campground called Camping on the Gulf at Destin FL. The web URL is www.campgulf.com or call 877 226 7485. They are actually beachfront camping, so you do not need a toad.

jack14r
06-17-2008, 09:29 PM
Sometimes things just happen,I knew that I would buy a 06 or a 07 one day but it somehow happened earlier than expected.My wife told Gary Patterson that she liked him but she did not need to see him again anytime in the near future.There were some things that I wanted and Liberty delivered.
1 King bed
2 automatic awnings(all 4)
3 not an 09 with DPF
4 Six 8D batteries
5 Two outback 3500 watt inverters
6 the ability to run 2 AC units off the inverters
7 inline water heater for the shower(which only works off the generator,38 amp load) my wife has run out of hot water and the coach is then a camper
8 more closet space,and more storage in galley
I have been busy moving in and have worked on a few things but Liberty delivered it to NC last week and I have not found any problems.I hope to do a night out next week at Tom Johnson CC at a Vantari open house.

aggies09
06-17-2008, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the campgulf idea. You can't get much closer to the water than that.

And since this thread has moved off topic slightly, I would like to tell Will that if you come back across I-20, and we are back home from FL, we would love to have you and your wife stop by. Abilene is a good stop before you get to the traffic of DFW as you head east. In any event, we wish you safe travels.

We even have a few BBQ joints out here.

rmboies
06-18-2008, 09:02 AM
[QUOTE=jack14r;30811]Sometimes things just happen,
8 more closet space,and more storage in galley

and I know what will be filling most of those closets--show horse attire!!

Congrats on another beautiful rig and JDUB, somehow I get the feeling that you are like Peter Pan who is forever young and never grows up? But if you do, Jack would be a fine example of a someone to be like :) I don't think Bob is hurt:p

sawdust_128
06-18-2008, 10:43 AM
Try the Babcock Ranch Eco tours. Beer trucks that have been converted into swamp tour buses, gators everywhere, panthers in their natural setting.

http://www.babcockwilderness.com/eco.htm

Also, look into Everglade tours on an airboat. Very neat. I've gone out of Everglade City.

aggies09
06-27-2008, 04:34 PM
We wound up stopping at Marineland in St. Augustine so that the wife and manchild could play with the dolphins. They thoroughly enjoyed that and would recommend to anyone with an interest in dolphins.

Thanks to Loc we went to the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola and found this to be a great place that help all of our attention for several hours. If you haven't seen this, try to incorporate into one of your future trips. It was truly worth the time.

Thanks to all who gave me ideas. It made for a great trip.