PDA

View Full Version : Amana Issues

tdelorme
06-15-2008, 06:10 PM
Our side by side Amana is having issues. Last weekend the freezer went up to 35 degrees forcing me to eat a 1/2 gallon of Pralines N Cream at one sitting. OK, I had some help but I did most of the work. The next morning everything was back to normal and the temp was 12 degrees. I checked it every day since, and today it's back up to 35 degrees.
I really like this fridge and would like to fix it, but if this is a slippery down hill slope with continuing problems I just as soon avoid the grief and replace it now. Any wisdom appreciated.

Darl-Wilson
06-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Ted, buy more Pralines 'n Cream.

MangoMike
06-15-2008, 07:10 PM
Mel-the-ice-cream-man-Torme,

A common problem is a clogged filter at the base of the refrigerator. Just a partial blocking will cause it to work less efficiently, thereby melting your prailines and cream.

Mike

garyde
06-15-2008, 08:31 PM
Ted. Make sure the fins are free of dust and lint. They may be located under the refer or behind.

MangoMike
06-15-2008, 08:34 PM
Mel,

Gary is right. I meant to say fins not filter.

Mike

Jon Wehrenberg
06-15-2008, 09:04 PM
Mel, or Ted, or whoever you are, let me share my limited experience with said Amana (nee Maytag).

If your refrig is the same or similar model to the ones typically installed in Libertys it is a fairly simple device. Your symptoms sound like mine so I will give you the short version of what was a saga. The intermittent operation is what I had and I had two problems. The first is simple to diagnose. When the compressor is running you should also have a fan in the freezer side running at the evaporator coil area. That fan is what is distributing the air within the freezer, blowing it across the coils, and when it is not running the lack of air circulation does not allow the air surrounding the contents of your freezer to cool down sufficiently. That can be checked and replaced with the refrigerator mounted in place.

I fixed that and the SOB still gave me sporadic operation.

I pulled the refrigerator out (build a 3" high platform to roll it onto) and then slide the whole thing where you can get at the rear. In the lower rear is another fan. This fan cools the condensing coils. On mine it was intermittent, and so when we were driving the refrigerator worked perfect because the vibration of running down the road was enough to jar the fan and get it spinning. When we were parked it would operate only occasionally. Replacing that did the trick.

I had previously replaced the evaporator coil, but if that has a leak or there is a leak anywhere in the system it will not work at all. Your on again, off again operation suggests the fans may be the culprit.

You can get parts at a Maytag repair parts store. They are available despite what you read if you do an online search.

If it is not a crisis and you can wait a week I will do a search and possibly find the spare evaporator fan I have somewhere. I may also have the pertinent poop on the condenser fan. We are heading out for a week otherwise I could get at it tomorrow, but I got too much I have to get done.

lewpopp
06-15-2008, 09:57 PM
jON, THESE BIG WORDS FOR THE IGNORANT....NEE MATAG, AND SOB. YOU'VE GOT THE SMART ONES SCRAMBLING AGAIN.

Seriously, what was the reason for the 3" platform. I need to slide mine out to find a leak in the water feed to the icemaker.

tdelorme
06-15-2008, 10:15 PM
Thanks all. Jon, I pulled the lower interior panels in the freezer and the fan is running fine. Flipped the breaker off and back on several times and that fan always starts and runs just fine. So, as much as I don't want to do it, I'll start getting set up to roll her out. Why a 3" high platform as opposed to rolling it out onto a 3/4" piece of plywood?

Jon Wehrenberg
06-16-2008, 07:22 AM
The Liberty refrigerator installations I have seen have the refrigerator installed on a platform that is 3" off the floor.

If your refrigerator is installed at floor level you don't need the platform. I had to build one so I could roll my refrigerator out, but I also built it with carpeting on the bottom so I could slide it out of the aisle to access the rear. The installation on my coach requires it to come forward all the way, and then to even see the back side of it I have to slide the whole thing sideways toward the front of the coach into the open area I create by removing the dining table. It is a real PITA.

With a floor level installation you need nothing except an open area.

Your problems could also be in the control, but I tend to attack problems starting with the simple stuff first. If it relates to the control there could be a lot of things that might be going on. It could have a failed temperature sensor, there could be issues with the defrost cycle timing, or you could have problems relating to the compressor. I dogged my problem because I did not want to have to go to the effort and expense of replacing the refrigerator due to the effort that is involved in adding finishing panels, painting the exposed portions to match my interior, and risking the damage to my coach bringing a refrigerator in and out through the windshield.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
07-17-2008, 10:53 AM
We have a GE Side by Side Refrigerator with the Ice / Water thru the door.

Why does the frost or ice build up just below the ice bucket in the door in the top of the Ice shoot, when my bus sits up?

When I store the bus in the barn, I lift up the Auto Ice Maker Arm so it doesn't continue trying to make ice, but within a week, the shoot where the ice falls out of the door is plugged up with Frosty Ice inside the door???? :confused:

Thanks

Gary S.

Jerry Winchester
07-17-2008, 12:26 PM
Spongebob,

I think your ice dispencer is leaking humid air back into the freezer and it is building up frost on the chute.

I had a similar problem with another fridge.

JDUB

Gary & Peggy Stevens
07-17-2008, 04:29 PM
Spongebob, I think your ice dispencer is leaking humid air back into the freezer and it is building up frost on the chute.
I had a similar problem with another fridge. JDUB

So, Mr Answer Man, how did you fix the Leak or did you just ignore it, and drink a lot more? ( which requires using more ice, you know )

If it is leaking air out of the ice container in the freezer, is it the trap in the door chute that isn't closing properly, and if so how did you fix it? :confused:

PLEASE Don't tell me to get a new Frigerator. :eek: :p

Gary S.

Jerry Winchester
07-17-2008, 04:45 PM
I think there was something stuck to the door that kept it from fully closing and sealing, so a cleaning was what fixed it.

But running a bunch of ice out for the margarita machine might be a better solution.

lewpopp
07-17-2008, 09:32 PM
Gary, the first thing you check is the gasket. Jerry was right, some outside air is leaking into the freezer and that's the cause of the frost.

Run your finger around the gasket to see iyou feel a bump or anything. Clean it well and dry, it should be good to go.

lewpopp
07-17-2008, 09:36 PM
I have yet to pull out my side-by-side to find the leak feeding the icemaker. Marathon told me there are 2 screws at the bottom holding it in and 2 at the top. I can't locate the top ones. That unit sure fits very tightly. I'll attempt that project when and if my present health problems subside. I love to move fridges when I'm under the weather.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
07-18-2008, 12:08 AM
Thanks Lew, and Jer for the info on fixing my Ice through the door problem.

I will work on this issue this weekend, whilst Peg and I relax @ La Hacienda in Austin, Tx. http://www.lahaciendarvpark.com/

Jim Skiff, this may be a great place for POG VII in 2009?. That is if you haven't already settled on the spot for POG VII? No Hurricanes, No Tornados, just beautiful Lake Travis, and the Hill Country sceanery.

Let me know if you want me to get brochures to send to you. ( sorry is this thread creep? MY BAD )

Gary S.

merle&louise
07-18-2008, 08:50 AM
Gary,

If you decide to change the door gasket; use a hair dryer to warm up the new gasket and make it more pliable to attach to the door. I saw a repairman use that little trick once.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
07-19-2008, 02:21 PM
Tuga, it is not the actual door seal that needs to be replaced, I think it is the seal flap that is inside the ice chute.

I can actually see light from the inside of the ice chute, ( I had to bang on the door for 5 minutes before Peg would let me out of the freezer compartment). Man talk about a chilly willy...? :D

Gary S.