PDA

View Full Version : Batteries

garyde
06-14-2008, 06:00 PM
After reading about Smoke detector Batteries on another thread , I decided to check out all batteries. I topped off the chasis batteries with distilled water, and will be checking out the coach batteries next. I have not replaced or even inspected the Coach batteries since I bought the Coach as they are located in th middle of the coach and it is a half day job easily to access them . I want to check the manufacture date on the Coach Batteries to see if they are original. That woulld put them at 5 years old.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-14-2008, 08:06 PM
It is highly unlikely the house batteries need anything like water because they are undoubtedly AGM or Gel.

I am surprised the chassis needed water because all my chassis batteries which have been Delco 1150 and currently Interstate are all maintenance free.

garyde
06-14-2008, 09:24 PM
Hi Jon.
The original water batteries were in the Coach when I bought it. They were Volvo water batteries, I replaced them with a similar type. The Coach Batteries are dry maintenance free type, however, I need to inspect the terminals, and verify the age. they don't hold for more than 8 hours.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
06-16-2008, 02:28 PM
GaryDe, you didn't post what Brand of Batteries you have. If they are Lifeline, the date code is stamped into the Black plastic on top of the battery.

ex: BJJEH

Battery Codes: BJJ Means Nothing

First Letter is the Year A=01, B=02, etc.
Second Letter is the Month A=Jan, B=Feb. etc.

I just had all ( 6 ) of mine replaced, along with the isolater and 2 Equalizers.

Jon, just realized that I didn't get the pieces back from Birdland, so I have to go back and pick those up this week.

Gary S.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-16-2008, 04:49 PM
I'm surprised that the original batteries for the chassis are not maintenance free.

On our 87 the original batteries (pre Volvo) were Delco 1150. They were wet cell but sealed so I never had to do any maintenance. The first set lasted 7 years and when they died they died without warning. I replaced the second set at the five year point although when removed they tested fine, but to me it wasn't worth the risk of a problem. We were on the road when the first set died and I did not want a repeat of trying to find a Delco Battery supplier in a strange city.

When I got my current coach 4 years ago new batteries were installed. I took the terminals apart when I got it home, cleaned them up and reassembled everything and then sprayed the terminals with that yellow battery post protectant. My batteries are easy to access and see and so far I have no signs of corrosion on the terminals. I don't know the official name of that spray on protectant, but it does work. Ugly, messy, but gets the job done.

Ed Hart
07-27-2008, 12:12 PM
Where are the batteries in a H3-45 Located. I just purchased this Featherlight Conversion and would like to know where they are and inspect them. The coach is a 2003 model Featherlight Vantare
Thanks,
Ed

Lee Bornstein
07-27-2008, 01:18 PM
Ed:
Batteries on some H3's are above rear wheels on Passenger Side.
You have to remove wheel skirting to access them.

Lee

Jon Wehrenberg
07-27-2008, 02:12 PM
Ed,

Welcome. This is the asylum where you will be made to feel right at home amongst the other inmates who have also lost their minds, a fact proven by the purchase of these toys.

Your question sends up a flag. You as a new owner are about to embark on a massive learning process. Ownership of these diesel divas is greatly enhanced by the depth of knowledge you possess before you strap yourself into the beast and start flogging it down the road.

I don't think you would be expected to tear yours apart and get as dirty as the two wizards in Chicago were doing this past week. They are both a little suspect. What you should consider doing however is getting to know your bus. Figure out what every switch and button does. Open up all the panels and note what you find. Figure out what the normal range should be on all your gauges. (There is a test, so be prepared)

Learn how to access all circuit breakers, shut off valves and anything that might need service or maintenance such as AC filters.

Learn how to start and stop the generator, how to use a multitester to check things until you get to know the coach intimately, and learn how to do a pre trip brake test. In short, deal with the surprises while it is sitting in your driveway and you can deal with stuff. It isn't fun when you are on the shoulder of the road and don't know how to keep your refrigerator door from spilling beer and wine all over the floor.

Remember, every single one of us started off really stupid about these coaches and only one or two have stayed that way. (they know who they are) The rest of us are geniuses who will give correct answers to your questions or will make something up.

garyde
07-27-2008, 09:18 PM
Where are the batteries in a H3-45 Located. I just purchased this Featherlight Conversion and would like to know where they are and inspect them. The coach is a 2003 model Featherlight Vantare
Thanks,
Ed

Hi Ed. you didn't say which batteries. Chasis or Coach. Like Jon said, there is a lot to know and learn about these machines. That's part of the journey.
There are many threads regarding Batteries, regarding types , maintenace, etc. Check out the Search option when you get a chance.
Good question and welcome to POG.