PDA

View Full Version : Grand Canyon In December?

adamdegraff
06-04-2008, 03:57 PM
Anybody have a recommendation for a nice place to camp at the Grand Canyon in December? We have almost 4 weeks to get from Medford, OR to Nashua, NH and were thinking of taking a southern route. Never been to the Grand Canyon before. My 3 and 5 year old have yet to see it as well. Got plenty of time. Of course, if anybody has any must see, cross country December destinations, please, let me know. We are really into good food as well, so don't leave out any favorite restaurants. (We have planned most of our Texas tour around Pappasitos locations, but are willing to NOT eat all of our meals there if there happen to be other must eats :-)

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Adam

Jerry Winchester
06-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Adam,

We stayed in Williams, AZ and rode the train to the Grand Canyon. I don't know if the tain runs in the winter, but I think you could drive it easy enough.

But if you like Pappasito's, there are about a 1000 better places to stop between the Grand Canyon and Houston for Mexican food. Drop a note closer to the time you head out if you want some recommendations.

JDUB

RDHoyum
06-05-2008, 04:13 AM
The Grand Canyon railway offers the "Polar Express" during that time. It doesn't make it to the GC from what I understand, but to a "North Pole" town along the way. Perfect for the kids. I have heard though that reservations are required and sometimes more than a year in advance.

Check the link and call about winter '08.
http://www.thetrain.com

rfoster
06-05-2008, 08:45 AM
We stayed at Railside RV park in Willams Az. Very nice people, easy in and out, gravel lots, clean. free breakfast. Free shuttle to the train station.

Round trip train ride from Willams to the Canyon (south side) is a little much for me. But with small children it may be just the ticket. You get robbed at least 3 times. Tickets, meals, and fake train robbers.

No recommendations for food at the Canyon or around it. Some folks just don't know what good food is.

JIM CHALOUPKA
06-05-2008, 09:23 AM
Roger, you sure have a knack to embellish the simple truth. :D