PDA

View Full Version : Replacing bent stainless on front...

Tully
06-02-2008, 11:12 PM
I have ordered new front turn signal lenses from Prevost of Elgin. Have put them on due to a orange construction barrel jumping into my lane (that's my story and I am sticking to it)....

Anyhow, upon closer inspection I see I am going to have to replace some stainless. Have priced this out along with pulling off an reinstalling/polishing. Were talking pretty large coin to do this.

I was going to go to a body and fender shop in my area and see about just having them repair and paint the front of the coach stainless to color match the coach. They quoted me $800.00 for the area just below the windshield to just above the bumper. This would be filling in the areas that needed repairs and paint work.

Replacing the stainless route was going to be over $3500.00.

Has anyone been in this situation before and just had the front area mentioned painted? I just cannot picture how it would look. I do not want to take away from the coach but that is a pretty big difference in cost.

Tully Lee Garrett
1990 Country Coach

Joe Cannarozzi
06-03-2008, 05:25 AM
I would never consider "filler" period.

I know of 2 places in the Chicago metro area I would trust to do that kind of work although there probably are more

I priced those 3 front stainless pieces new from Elgin a while back. New front and L&R radiused corners 600 bucks. Rivets 100.

BrianE
06-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Tully,
Try Int. Bus Parts: http://www.ibpindustries.com/home. I've used their body panels, they are top quality and the ones I used fit perfectly . I would encourage you to do the job yourself with the help of any good "hands on" mechanic. With Joe's help you should be able to do the job no sweat. You will need some good sharp 1/4" drills a good cordless drill, and a small hydraulic rivet puller: http://www.fsirivet.com/product_info.php?id=6. (There is one currently available on e-bay). Also , for your info, IBP supplies 1/4" rivets instead of the original Prevost 3/16" rivets, this is not a problem because both rivets have an identical finished appearance. Good luck.

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
06-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Anyhow, upon closer inspection I see I am going to have to replace some stainless. Have priced this out along with pulling off an reinstalling/polishing. Were talking pretty large coin to do this.

Replacing the stainless route was going to be over $3500.00.

Tully Lee Garrett
1990 Country Coach[/QUOTE]

Tully,
Did you wish that you had a "plastic shield" when that happened?;)

Sandy

hhoppe
06-03-2008, 05:06 PM
Tully: You made no mention of having your insurance company fixing the damage? Depending on the extent of the damage to the SS it may be straightened and re-polished by a industrial sheet metal shop, a commercial kitchen fabrication shop or a plating shop. Joe and Brian have given you good advice also.

Tully
06-03-2008, 09:12 PM
I own my own insurance agency and have the rig with Progressive. I have learned many moons ago to never turn in smaller claims. They are all compiled against you by a company called CLUE. Kind of a like a credit score if you will.

I am talking with Joe C. about doing this for me and he is looking into it.

He does know his stuff and he lives maybe 45 minutes from me?

Great advise this board always gives.

Can I pre-pay for a life time membership?

Tully Lee Garrett

Will Garner
06-04-2008, 09:57 AM
Tully,

Sorry to hear about that jumping barrel. I had an employee who once came back from the field with a broken passenger side window and rearview mirror. He said the mirror was hit by a chicken which pivoted the mirror to smash into the window which of course broke. So far he has never lived down the tale of the Moore County NC Jumping Chicken incident.

I do have one question, are you trying to wrest the Stainless Steel Crumpling Championship away from Mango and Jdub? If so you are going to have to do way more damage than that! I think Jdub is the current Champ with a damage total around the $32,000 neighborhood.

Hope you and Joe can work this out on the cheap.

Will

Tully
06-04-2008, 03:21 PM
I do not want to hold the title in that department.

Joe is one stand up guy and I am certain he can get the job done.

Checking out a few things for me and will update me. He knows I
drive a 1990 unit, not a 2008. On the same token, just another
brother helping out a brother.

Will keep all updated.

Tully Lee Garrett