PDA

View Full Version : Soon to be! But where to live?

tomloughney
05-30-2008, 10:01 AM
Hi

I just joined this group and it has a lot of really good information. I am looking at a starter coach and hope to choose in the next few weeks.

I started out looking at Barth's, Bluebirds and Beavers in the 35 ft range, but they seemed to be too old to finance. I moved up to newer units and the length of the units go to 40/45 ft with few in the 35 ft range of good quality (and reasonable price).

I was taking a pass on the Prevosts because they were too expensive but I had a GMC conversion years ago that was just great! Sold it when the kids got too old to go any longer and it was too difficult to keep sitting in Northern Michigan. Things only break when it was sitting idle, not when it was being used. However some of the 1991 to 1994 units and some Newell's are in my price range at the moment and they sure are nice rigs. Finance is also available for these units.

I live in Thailand but have my Driving license in Washington. To buy the coach I need to pay the Washington Sales tax and i doubt I will be in Washington more than a few days/weeks per year. The Montana LLC did not work out with an older coach and finance.

Any advice on where title the coach? I am new to full timing and if anyone can point me to a good source of info that would be helpful to me.

Can I title a coach in one state and live in another state?

Thanks

Tom Loughney

Joe Cannarozzi
05-30-2008, 10:53 AM
Tom my bus is for sale.

It is currently in Florida runs great and the price is probably less that those Bluebirds and Newels you have been looking at.

Call me 708 243 7871 I can send you many more pictures.

lewpopp
05-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Tom,

Kathy and I decided that age has caught up to me and it's time I landed on my two feet.

Our coach is available andis presently in New York State for the next 4 mos.

Call me at 607-329-0403. I have a super reliable and conditioned coach and can send you pictures also.

My body is is trouble so I have to get out and the price is right.

05-31-2008, 08:21 AM
Good morning Tom,

Lets review your registration options. You mentioned that the Montana LLC. is not an option, is this because you want to finance the Bus and the finance company said that you could not finance an older Bus in a corporate name in Montana??? If so contact me via email and I will give some options.

If this is not the case, how about NH. or TX., or De. I have not done this but other members might have ideas.

What State has the lowest or no sales tax and also has low renewal fees????
Find this answer and you might want to become a resident there.

Joe Cannarozzi
05-31-2008, 08:36 AM
Ben a previous member went through all this, he was full timing.

Didn't he choose Texas???????

Alek&Lucia
05-31-2008, 10:29 AM
In ILLINOIS, if you buy a bus from private party, not from a dealer your max sales tax=transfer tax is only $1500, and $103 yearly for vanity plates.

Alek

billbunch47
05-31-2008, 10:08 PM
South Carolina has a max sales tax cap of 300.00 and if you are looking at an older bus the yearly property tax bottoms out at 15 years to the tune of less than 25 dollars give us a try. Bill

Darl-Wilson
06-01-2008, 01:25 AM
Vehicle transactions between private parties are NOT taxed in Nevada. Lew and Joe's buses fit that category. I bought my coach in Florida and only paid 5 bucks for a 30 day permit to bring it home. Also, Nevada does not have any income tax. There are other advantages to living here or making Nevada your home base. I only paid a little over $400.00 for my plates on a $250k Prevost. Nevada doesn't have the Prevost MH listed so mine is based on some other Country Coach model.

Oh Tom, BTW, welcome to the POG!! You will get lots of help here from some great people. Another thing to remember is that this bunch thrives on exchanging information about maintaining their coaches so most of the member's equipment is in good condition and deserves consideration for a purchase.

Good Luck (a Nevada thing):cool:

Darl

MangoMike
06-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Tom,

Welcome to POG.

Buying a bus from a fellow POG member is one the safest purchases you can make. As severe peer pressure from the group will make sure that everything is up to par, and there are no secrets in POG, no matter how hard some people try.

Mike

rbeecher
06-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Mango,

You bring up a very good point, more peer pressure than being a teen.

Richard Beecher
2002 Marathon XLII 45
1996 Vogue XL 40 For Sale

tomloughney
06-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Vehicle transactions between private parties are NOT taxed in Nevada. Lew and Joe's buses fit that category. I bought my coach in Florida and only paid 5 bucks for a 30 day permit to bring it home. Also, Nevada does not have any income tax. There are other advantages to living here or making Nevada your home base. I only paid a little over $400.00 for my plates on a $250k Prevost. Nevada doesn't have the Prevost MH listed so mine is based on some other Country Coach model.

Oh Tom, BTW, welcome to the POG!! You will get lots of help here from some great people. Another thing to remember is that this bunch thrives on exchanging information about maintaining their coaches so most of the member's equipment is in good condition and deserves consideration for a purchase.

Good Luck (a Nevada thing):cool:

Darl

Oregon has many conditions if you want to be a resident of that state, while Nevada seems to be much more open.

Nevada Revised Statutes 483.141 “Resident” defined.
1. “Resident” includes, but is not limited to, a person:
(a) Whose legal residence is in the State of Nevada.
(b) Who engages in intrastate business and operates in such a business any motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer, or any person maintaining such vehicles in this state, as the home state of such vehicles.
(c) Who physically resides in this state and engages in a trade, profession, occupation or accepts gainful employment in this state.
(d) Who declares himself to be a resident of this state to obtain privileges not ordinarily extended to nonresidents of this state.

While oregon has these conditions.

If you are uncertain whether you qualify for an Oregon Driver License, ID Card, or Oregon Vehicle Registration, ask yourself the following questions:

* Do I remain in Oregon for a consecutive period of six months or more each year?
* Have I enrolled my children in an Oregon public school without payment of nonresident tuition fees?
* Do I pay Oregon resident tuition fees at an educational institution maintained by public funds?
* Have I made a declaration to be a resident of Oregon for the purpose of obtaining, at resident rates, a state license (other than an Oregon Driver License)?
* Is Oregon listed as my home of record in my military records?
* Do I pay resident income taxes to the state of Oregon?

So I think that nevada will be the next resting place, hopefully not the last.

Tom