PDA

View Full Version : XLII side windows

Alan__
05-29-2008, 11:22 AM
In the last 6 months I have had three side windows "blow" and by blow I mean the exterior glass shatters and sounds like you have been hit by a shotgun.

Have any of you been bothered by this problem?

Prevost service tells me it is not that uncommon. They have had them blow in the box, while a coach is just sitting in the shop and related a story where two coaches traveling together each had a window go on the same highway. They don't know if the vendor had/has a construction problem or if something else is the cause.
One of mine went while on the interstate, one while they were working on it in the shop and the last one at 5 a.m. while sleeping on a very level site. All are on the passenger side.

dalej
05-29-2008, 11:34 AM
I have never heard of this happening. I can't even remember a post about it. But it sounds like Prevost has.

Keep us all informed about it.

I'm sure if it would happen to a certain 01 American conversion, located in TX we are sure going to hear about it :)

Loc
05-29-2008, 12:11 PM
Dale,

He (a certain 01 American) has a hard time plugging the bus in, don't get him started on windows now. I did hear from a Prevost person that the manufacturer of the awning windows for the XLII is either shut down or out of business and they have no replacement windows in stock (they do have non-awning windows in stock).

Loc

Coloradobus
05-29-2008, 04:53 PM
Alan,

Leroy and Joan Bracelin had several of their 2004 Marathon XLII, 804?? windows blew. Being dual paned, the outer glass becomes stressed for some reason and shatter. I guess like your XLII side windows, Prevost has no side window replacements for our "H"3-45 coach either, sliders, awning tip out or solid. Heck of a way to run a business, don't you think??
I wonder why Prevost is having a hard time finding a window vendor? Any ideas?

Jon Wehrenberg
05-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Somebody is blowing smoke. First, someone needs to contact the DOT to prompt a recall since Prevost apparently doesn't get it.

Second, the lack of windows to replace the failed windows suggests that Prevost has their production lines shut down because they cannot get windows.....or they have decided their customers with problems can wait until they are good and ready to start shipping replacements.

I can clearly understand lacking certain proprietary items for a vintage coach long since out of production, but to fail to have replacement parts for current models is too much to beleive. They would win points if they would offer the owners some relief.

Coloradobus
05-29-2008, 07:28 PM
Your're very right, Jon. But as I said above and have told Mango, Prevost has "NO" replacement side Salon or Bedroom windows for our "H"3-45's. These are the solid non-opening ones.
It's sad, that it is easier to get parts for a 1928 Cadillac, than for 2000 (1999 shell) "H"3-45 or a current XLII;s.:(

Alan__
05-29-2008, 08:47 PM
Well, so far they have been good at finding me replacements. They offered to overnight a replacement to Fort Worth if necessary but since I was in Utah I didn't think it hardly necessary. They said the only folks that would do the replacement is Prevost as it requires major work in getting the old window out. Like to the tune of two men eight hours. They have comp'ed the replacements so far and threw in a new windshield also. However, the time involved on my part is pretty major. The first time required repainting the side of the bus to the tune of $$$ due to glass chips---which they also picked up.

phorner
05-29-2008, 08:47 PM
Man, you guys are making me appreciate my XLV more and more....

Not being able to get replacement windows, which to me sounds like it should be a priority for Prevost, is scary.

Somehow, I don't think our home would be quite the same with a sheet of plywood covering the hole in the side of the bus 'till a replacement window could be found!

Alan__
05-29-2008, 08:53 PM
I think Masonite would be the material of choice as the top has a 30 degree radius and plywood is difficult to bend.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-29-2008, 09:11 PM
Alan, if you keep posting all this good stuff about XLII shells the new bus sales police are going to show up on your door and take you away.

Two men, 8 hours plus a possible paint job if you need to replace a window? This compares to about 45 minutes in the old rivet coaches. Do you have any other compelling reasons to buy an XLII you want to share?

They can do them all for free forever, but it still does not mitigate the need to drive to Prevost (only) for repairs.

MangoMike
05-29-2008, 09:21 PM
At a rest area on the PA turnpike I saw a XLII tour bus with a temporary, not quite fit, window attached with a lot of duct tape. So there might be something to this shortage issue.

It seems that Bill Jensen, from Prevost, at Parumph mentioned a glass supplier problem.

garyde
05-29-2008, 09:36 PM
What are they doing for windows on their production line? I would ask for more specific information. Does anyone know why Liberty, Marathon and Featherlite are Converting H3-45's at such a high rate, and very few XLII-45's. Is there something we should know? There was mention of more stainless panels peeling away in newer Prevosts. Has anyone seen this first hand?

Loc
05-30-2008, 08:05 AM
Gary,

I think that the combination of Legendary going out of business and their XLII's gettting sold at firesale prices and Featherlite's blow out of XLII's at the end of 2007 has kind of trashed the market for the converters. At $975,000 it has to have a negative impact on converters who have coaches that list at $1.5 million plus. I think the converters moved to the H3 to avoid the pressure on profit with an XLII given all of the market comparable sales at less than $1 million. I wonder if Featherlite's current $995,000 price on H3's will have an impact on the H3 market as well.

Loc

jack14r
05-30-2008, 08:45 AM
Another factor in the quantity of XLII conversions is that the DPF filter takes up space in the rear of the coach since the XLII does not have a flat floor it cramps the far side of the bed.Prevost did not address this issue until recently and they are moving the rear slide forward(I think 12 inches) which will allow enough room for a person to get around a king size bed.I was told that one converter would not purchase any shells until this change had been made.I think that Featherlite will only build H's for inventory and XLII's will be sold orders.I have heard that Marathon and Liberty will continue to build XLII coaches for inventory.It has been reported that the XLII would be discontinued,at the TN rally I asked the Prevost factory rep this question and he said that they sold about 30-40% XLIIs and even though the entertainer market would be changing to the new X coach the XLII would stay in the line for the foreseeable future.

Alan__
05-30-2008, 12:21 PM
They are a bugger to remove. They cut them off with an air tool as they are glued on with Sikh (sp) mastic to the frame plus adjoining rubber seal between next window or frame. If the guy's attention wanders he nicks either the next window (and blows it out) or the fiberglass (and chews out a chunk). Not a job for Dale and Ray on two ladders!

Coloradobus
05-30-2008, 12:36 PM
Our "H" side windows have a frame that hinges at the top. There is a rubber grommet-like rope that holds the pane in the frame from the interior side, like XLI windshields. Bolt the bottom into the coach and window is in. The new "H" have glued in flush windows like the XLII.
And, the above is correct. When Prevost changes bodystyles in a couple of the years, we were told last October during the factory tour, the XLII may go away.

Ray Davis
05-30-2008, 06:11 PM
Not a job for Dale and Ray on two ladders!

Alan, just give me a sledge harmmer, and I'll have that window out in a couple of minutes, flat!!

ray

rickdesilva
06-02-2008, 04:53 PM
I had a stationary side window replaced with an awning window, the cost brought me to my knees.

phorner
06-02-2008, 07:41 PM
I'm at Prevost in Jacksonville and they have 2 XLII busses in getting re-skinned.

Apparently there are still plenty of coaches needing to be repaired. It was explained to me that the original adhesive had a tendency to become brittle over time, and then crack due to the expansion and contraction of the stainless, resulting in the problem. The question is; do all XLII's with the suspect adhesive have the potential to fail?

The replacement stainless is evidently installed using a different adhesive that stays more pliant, allowing the expansion and contraction of the panels without causing damage to the bond.

Also, a couple we met here with an '01 XLII discovered 2 windows with a small crack in each. They said the quote was in excess of $4,000 to replace them....

So they are staying cracked for the time being...

First time here and so far I'm impressed. The technicians have been very accommodating when answering my many questions and making sure that I can see for myself exactly what is being done and why. So far, the learning experience has been worth at least an hour or two of labor charges:D

phorner
06-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Well, I had mentioned the couple that had been quoted 4 grand to replace 2 cracked windows in their XLII......

So, the rest of their story was about their slide. They have a single slide XLII.

On their way to a service appoint, while driving at 65 mph in the passing lane northbound on I-95, the bus parking brake suddenly applied, bringing the bus, toad, and everything else to a REAL FAST stop.... they managed to wrestle the bus to the median on the left before coming to a complete halt. The first suspicion was a blown tire, but they then realized that "somehow" the parking brake had been applied.

With no damage, except to the nerves, they released the parking brake and proceeded to Prevost for their scheduled appointment.

After much discussion and determination as to exactly what they had, they were told "oh, you've got one of those"

Apparently, their coach was designed so that the parking brake was sensing the slide out position, the theory being that it would prohibit you from driving off with the slide extended. However, they had apparently lost just enough air pressure to confuse the system and make it apply the parking brake, thinking that the slide was extended.

They were instructed to have the system disabled immediately, apparently they were not the first to have this experience.

So, if anyone believes that you have such a "safety" feature on your bus, you are encouraged to remedy this problem as these folks did.

Joe Cannarozzi
06-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Something about that explanation sounds fishy to me. The part that they lost just enough air pressure to confuse?????????????????????

Very confusing. Are the locking pins and slide operated by air?

I was expecting you to say the slide pins were not all the way seated or the slide was not all the way on the stops.

That phenomenon can also occur if by chance you take out an emergency air line to a maxi by kicking something up off the road. A blown air bag or tire could take one out too. Or a fitting crack and failure on the emergency side.

Probability: slim to none but it happens. Another good reason not to run the center lane.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-04-2008, 08:51 PM
That design feature is dangerous. In fact if I had a slide coach I would insist that it be disabled.

I can see the advantages of a system that prevents the coach from going into drive if the slide is not fully retracted. I can envision a system that prevents the release of the air brakes if the slide does not fully retract, but once the coach is underway, even if it is to move it 3 feet the emergency brake application feature should be disabled until the next cycling of the slide.

The folks this happened to were lucky. What if this happened on an icy bridge with no median divider? What if this happened in the Lincoln Tunnel at rush hour. What if this happened on a curvy section of a mountainous road?

All slide coach owners need to consider the impact that this will have on your coach and you if your spring brakes are applied with no warning and with no regard to your speed, traffic conditions or road surface conditions. When your drive and tag axles are locked up you have zero control over where the ass end of the coach is going to end up, and which direction you will be pointing when it stops.

merle&louise
08-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Well, after reading these posts I am going to re-consider an XL II:confused:

garyde
08-01-2008, 11:20 PM
Tuga, i wouldn't consider any of these stories common occurances. Obviously everyone has a story to tell regard their coach or someone elses.
The thing to keep in mind is the Bus itself, how it is built and how it has performed over hundreds of thousands of miles over many years.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-02-2008, 07:16 AM
Tuga,

Gary is right. Except for things such as the above Prevost shells are extremely stout and reliable. Items such as what is described above is a safety feature that needs some reprogramming, but it doesn't reflect a failure of the entire shell, just a design error easily addressed.

I know you are happy with Newell, and a Newell may be the equal of Prevost in terms of longevity and reliability, but one thing is for sure. The Prevost chassis is proven in commercial service by operators of seated coaches and entertainer coaches (which have slides) every day and that experience directly relates to the motorhomes. Add to that refinement of the chassis the collected expertise of the converters and the total package represents the most reliable coach you can get.

nrhareiner
08-02-2008, 07:37 AM
I agree with disabling the system immediately. Doing that is very simple. There is a single relay in the front run area under the driver. If this is removed, the bus can be placed in gear, emergency brake released, and if desired moved (I do not know why you would do that) with the slide extended. According to the wiring diagram this is the only thing necessary to stop the possibility of the "emergency stop" due to sensing a slide out. I believe the label is something like "slide lockout" or something similar. I can check in a couple of days when I am back at the coach. I have removed mine almost as soon as I purchased the bus. I always check that relay after having any work done on the bus by any commercial establishment. One time a technician must of thought that I had lost the relay and replaced the relay.

Coloradobus
08-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Someone above ask the question, "Why would you want to move the bus with the slides ourt?" When we had our Country Coach 2 slide XL with HWH slides, in campground we needed to move the bus to re-level with some leveling bricks. Instead of running both rooms in, I pulled it forward all hanging out, then Chris placed down the bricks and I rolled back on them.
Made for a very easy, quick effort to re-level. That coach had no inter-lock system with the tranny or parking brake.
Silly us, we had Prevost Mira Loma on our 2nd bus, 2002 XLII, add a module during a service reacall, that would prevent us from moving while slides were out. silly us, it is very handy to that manueverability if needed. We never had any trouble prior to that module.