PDA

View Full Version : Increasing size of gas tank?

Tully
05-26-2008, 08:40 PM
Have a 1990 Country Coach with 200 gallon tank. Is it possible to increase the size of the tank? Maybe to a 250 gallon or higher?

Would like to make a round trip to Nashville and back withouth having to stop and re-fuel. Plus I have a good sorce for diesel fuel at a discounted rate here in Illnois?

Tully Lee Garrett

Jerry Winchester
05-26-2008, 09:14 PM
Tully,

I think it would be cheaper to buy a new coach with a bigger tank. Or just buy one of those big rubber ferry tanks they use in airplanes and store it in one of the bays.......

lewpopp
05-26-2008, 09:42 PM
Tully,

Sounds and smells of the red color fuel, right?

tdelorme
05-26-2008, 09:54 PM
Tread carefully, Tully. There was a post a month or so back reporting that New Mexico and AZ had road blocks checking diesel tanks. Here in Texas I have not heard of any checks in ten years or so but I'm not willing to risk the fines. And, I've got 1000 gallons here at the farm that I paid $3.19 for back in January for off road use. The last time I ran a few gallons in the coach, the clear filter in the engine compartment showed red fuel for several thousand miles. OK, so it was maybe like a hundred gallons but it did take a long time for the dye to stop showing up.

Tully
05-26-2008, 10:19 PM
Looking more to be able to run down south and back without the hassle of having to stop and fill up more than anything. Can get it a little less from a friend and is normal diesel fuel. He is a diesel mechanic and they buy in large bulk. Not off road or colored.

Just was not crazy about having to stop at the pump when I was in the groove and wanting to get home. The mess on the ground, the lines and all.

Tully

Jon Wehrenberg
05-27-2008, 07:34 AM
One of the criteria buyers almost never consider on their list of things they want or need in a coach is long range tanks.

We had 250 gallons on our first coach and this one has 298.

It is not as important to us as a few other things but if we ever had to buy another coach long range fuel would be real close to the top of the list. Today's fuel situation makes it even more important than ever.

Tully,

I seriously doubt you could install the optional auxiliary fuel tank in your coach. I have never heard of a converted coach that has that much extra available space. If it was available it would be in between the second bays forward of the main fuel tank which is between the third bays.

dalej
05-27-2008, 10:27 AM
Tully,

I really think that no matter what size you tank is, you won't like truck stops until you find a way to not look at the problems with them, i.e. feel rushed, dirty, truckers waiting on a rich bus owner while they are trying to make a living.

Try to make your stops more of a social time with your bus and the guys in the lanes next to you. When you go inside, look at the lights and tools before you pay.

Finally, don't make eye contact with the trucker behind you!

ps...I have a 160 gallon main and a 90 gallon aux. tank.

BrianE
05-27-2008, 10:39 AM
Beware using off-road diesel. WA State Patrol now uses an infrared pointing device that detects off-road coming from exhaust stacks. Love how they can zero in on the real important aspects of law enforcement.

flyu2there
05-27-2008, 08:07 PM
Brian,

How they do that? I suspect that the red dye doesn't change anything in exhaust color much after being exposed to 3000 or so degree's....must be that low sulfur, check that ultra low sulfur is not available in red diesel.

My guess is that they are bluffing or they are looking at sulfur content of the exhaust.........curious minds want to know. Course they also could be smoking Crack!!

John