PDA

View Full Version : Prowing a Tius

flyu2there
05-26-2008, 11:13 AM
I just drove my H-2 from AZ to California. I stopped a a Trader Joes to pick up a case of Two Buck Chuck and when I came out I had a note on my car about the environment, oil and all that jazz (Welcome back to California!):mad:

Anyway, I couldn't help but notice all of the Prius' being driven about here and what little research I have done, I am curious if anyone is towing one of the things. Couldn't find anything in any of the forums but maybe I missed something.....

BTW diesel 5.38 in El Centro...but who goes to El Centro except Cher for her High Scool Reunions:D

Thanks

John

Jon Wehrenberg
05-26-2008, 12:18 PM
My H2 eats Pruis cars. Last time it ate one I had to give it two Pepcid.

Jim_Scoggins
05-26-2008, 08:11 PM
Prius is a girlie car.

truk4u
05-26-2008, 08:36 PM
Fly Dude,

The economy is killing us, I just bought a mixed case of 2 Buck Chuck and it was 2.99 a bottle!:eek: What is this world coming to....

flyu2there
06-06-2008, 08:25 AM
I ruled out the Prius, just cannot be towed, even with a dolly according to the Toyota store. The Smart Car is probably o.k. but the lead time is way out there AND the dealer has a large group on the orphan list already.

Yesterday I bought a new Mini Cooper S and in order to keep the rather respectable warranty, it has to be towed on a dolly. I don't know if this is a nuance with the Mark II's or they are all like this.....that goes for both the manual and automatic transmission models.

So the question is, who else is towing a Mini...dolly or not?

Thanks

John

Jon Wehrenberg
06-06-2008, 08:58 AM
There is something paradoxical about a guy driving a Prevost towing a vehicle that gets a zillion miles per gallon.

Perhaps it would be more practical to consider using the mini to pull the Prevost? All you need is a 50,000 pound hitch and it can be flat towed with all 8 wheels down if you pull an axle.

You might need supplemental braking.

Just drive the damn H2 and quit worrying about what other people think. I doubt like hell if you headstone will say "He drove a Prius".

BTW, Fast Roger is the resident Mini towing expert.

jello_jeep
06-06-2008, 09:36 AM
Yesterday I bought a new Mini Cooper S
John

Gee, a guy who pushed heavy tin, the modern cowboy, the master of all he sees on a bright day cruising at 30k... Rolling down the highway in a Prevost conversion.. Engineering at its finest...The American dream... Reduced to a friggin Mini Cooper?

What is next, a salmon colored polo and a seat at the DNC? Matching obama, peta, and greenpeace stickers? Sheesh....

On a serious note, the one thing you have to factor in (imho) is what is going to happen to you when you have saved your dollars in fuel and are so happy you are sailing around Yuma, and a car load of unknown type, non insured, non indigenous, non documented personnel (1 each) pulls out in front of you?

When you spend the next month in ICU (if you are lucky) I would tend to think you will be questioning the logic of driving something that is so crash unworthy. What would have been a minor inconvenience in a your hummer could be a life changing or ending event for you or a loved one. Also the cooper is so low to the ground, your head would be right about bumper level to the average slightly raised suv.

The same would apply to the smart car. I would love that kind of mileage, but I have to ride the freeways every day for the most part in speeds that range from 80 to stopped in 20 seconds. Aside from a front end collision, look at the profile of that car and tell me what you think is going to happen when the preoccupied, makeup applying, cellphone to ear, Starbucks sipping, Gucci bag toting siren just somehow doesn't notice right away that the smart car in front of her is rapidly stopping ?

That Chevy emblem is going to go through the back of your noggin like a rocket sled on rails. But of course your executor will likely notice the savings when he reviews your shell bill prior to probate. All the money you had saved in fuel that is now in your bank account will be mostly taken by the government in one form of tax or another, and eventually redistributed to more non indigenous personnel in the form of social security, health, food stamps and other benefits that they so richly deserve. The cycle continues and you are helping out!! :D

She will need a facial and a fresh grande double shot espresso, and an hours worth of deep tissue with Biff, her fave masseuse, and likely will still be chatting on the phone, annoyed at the pesky rotor wash messing up her do as Life Flight lands and scoops up the goo into a 30 mil black zippered bag (1 each).

I know a Jeep isn't the optimal car to crash in either, but raised up with proper suspension, and with lots of steel added at both ends is not bad.

I have already had one of your Yuma folks crash into the Jeep from the rear, while sitting at a red light. My Jeep emblem in the receiver was about in the center of her hood, bumper buckled and hood ruined on non indigenous car. Woman and child wailing and screaming in different language. It didn't even bend the Jeep emblem. Left minor scuff on spare tire, removed with 303. After agreeing to pull off roadway to exchange info, said personnel executed a right turn and fled the scene.

I was fixin to chase her down, but after seeing no damage to me, I thought it best to let her go before somehow she was injured for life and it was all my fault for being stopped at the darn red light.

Put some steel around those you love, because you can't buy good health back. :)

rfoster
06-06-2008, 09:48 AM
The owners manual plainly states not to tow Mini Coopers 4 Wheels down.

I have never been good at following directions. (the longer I have been associated with POG, this appears to be a MPD sympton). I have probably towed a Mini S 6 speed probably 18 to 20 K, a 5 speed coupe probably 12 -15K miles. I thoroughly enjoy the drive of the Mini and best of all can't tell it is behind the bus.

I did have an automatic mini at first and used a dolly to tow to POG1 in Polk City Fl. Dollies are out for me. I will sell you a low mile dolly if you need one.

The trick is to stop about every 3 to 4 hours and start up the car and go thru the gears to let the tranny to get lubricated internally. So about every Pit stop just let it run for 5 minutes. I learned and confirmed this with Steve Bennett of California Coach who had towed his mini 4 wheels down to POG2 in Santa Fe. I have had 4 minis to date, and will be towing another one to Myrtle Beach SC Saturday for week at the beach. I am still not certain that the tail shaft spinning doesn't lubricate the tranny adequately, but just in case - run the engine.

Mini (BMW) is CYA on all their vehicles regarding towing.
Towing Brackets are available thru Blue Ox and supplemental braking is supplied thru an electric power compressor with pendulum that sets in the drivers side floor in front of the seat and clips to the brake pedal. This also came from Blue Ox.

The newest I have towed is an 06, they may have changed something in the new ones that totally pre empties the above.

Osama was in Bristol yesterday----I think my next tow vehicle may be a Hummer.

In other news: Did ya'll know that JDUB, Mango, Hillary and Osama were all in DC last night? Whats up with that?

truk4u
06-06-2008, 05:18 PM
Hey Jeep, tell us how you really feel about Mini's!:D

King - I'm in shock! I thought sure those two turd boys were on our side!:rolleyes:

Ray Davis
06-06-2008, 07:14 PM
Steve Bennett has also towed a Mini the the past, and has hooked up other customers to do the same, all 4 wheel down, I believe.

I had considered getting a Mini last year, and would have towed it without a dolly too.

Ray

jello_jeep
06-06-2008, 08:14 PM
I don't really care, just had to give fly boy the red-ass, because he so richly deserves it ;)

Hey Jeep, tell us how you really feel about Mini's!:D

King - I'm in shock! I thought sure those two turd boys were on our side!:rolleyes:

garyde
06-06-2008, 11:00 PM
Warren, defense is the best offense. It is a Mad Max World. Ya just don't realise how bad it is until you have a 'one on one' with an Insurance and Licensed challenged driver.

Jerry Winchester
06-06-2008, 11:56 PM
I saw a sign today that summed it all up;

Washington D.C. - 100 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality.

flyu2there
06-07-2008, 05:00 AM
Well now. I just drove the MINI at 75 mph+ from Santa Barbara to Yuma in a shade under 6 hours and was averaging 40.6 mpg until the a/c unit was required abeam Palm Springs....I shed 3 mpg off, according to the computer, to keep the thing cool:D, although 37 mpg overall still ain't bad in a car that weighs a shade under 2600 lbs. empty, being drug along with a 207 HP turbo-crammed DOHC 4 banger. (This one is a John Cooper Works Mark II)

The MINI did not even pop onto my radar until I drove the thing, what a rush, an overpowered cart with paddle shifters that feels like it is on rails!
The Mark II has decent crash test results but it certainly ain't no Hummer; you are done if you get T-Boned by a GMC Yukon or similar as described by Jeep....however just about anything, save a raised H2 is in trouble with that one. Thing about the MINI, if one keeps his situational awarness active, you can maneuver out of just about anything! The 17" alloys and very wide (NITROGEN FILLED) Z rated run flats certainly help.

Much to the chagrin of others, I am going to drag this one on a small dolly. It gets the nose of the car up enough to avoid most of the jet blast left behind by the bus, requires no lights or brakes as they are on the trailer, a can be disconnected nearly as fast as a tow bar and associated plumbing.......plus it keeps the vehicle warranty in tact.

In the end, all I can say is go drive one of them....not the anemic one but at least an S with the paddle shifters. Emerson Fitapaldi, here I come:D

John

flyu2there
06-07-2008, 08:09 AM
While I am kinda wandering off subject with this one, it certainly is food for thought. :cool:

A friend of mine skillfully missed a large alligator (un-attached full length truck trailer tread) with his bus by maneuvering slightly and sending the dude under the center of his bus.....well, missed the bus completely but caught his newJeep under tow. Tore all of the plastic trim off the right hand side, did a quick sanding and denting job on the paint in the vicinity and finished by removing a couple of feet of tailpipe. I guess it is not wise to "send the gator under the middle"

John

Gary & Peggy Stevens
06-07-2008, 08:36 AM
I guess it is not wise to "send the gator under the middle" John

Unless John, you are towing an H2 or H3 Hummer behind ? :) They stand about as tall as the bus, at least on the bottom side.

Gary S.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Don't believe it Gary. I had to straddle one because I could not change lanes last fall. I first heard it hit my center Cruise Airs baffle, then further back, and then finally I heard it beating on the H2. When I saw it in my mirror it was literally up in the air a foot or so, my guess being that it got rolled up as it passed under and was unwinding.

I pulled over as soon as I could expecting to see something broke or leaking or at least damaged. Nothing fortunately, but unless an alligator lays perfectly flat and remains undisturbed it appears that it starts hopping and rolling up and thus starts tearing stuff up. I was very lucky. Those are probably about 70 pounds of potential damage, and at our normal speeds they can do plenty.