PDA

View Full Version : Got Extra Belts??

bluevost
05-11-2008, 11:52 AM
Janet and I left Pahrump about 10:00AM headed north to Hawthorne, NV. About 120 miles into our 260 mile day, I had belt failure on the two belt air conditioner side. So here we are in the middle of nowhere on Hwy. 95 with broken belts. Not to worry. Because this happened to my good buddy Buster sometime ago, I carry a complete set of belts in the bay. 48 minutes later, we are on our way.

I don't tell you this for an "atta-boy". If you don't have a complete set of back up belts, GET THEM and learn how to change them. Who knows how long we would have been stuck out there waiting help!!

Ken

garyde
05-11-2008, 01:16 PM
High Five Ken. That's got to make you feel good.

adamdegraff
05-11-2008, 08:39 PM
I don't tell you this for an "atta-boy". If you don't have a complete set of back up belts, GET THEM and learn how to change them. Who knows how long we would have been stuck out there waiting help!!

Ken

So, how does one go about learning how to change them?

Adam

flyu2there
05-11-2008, 11:03 PM
So, how does one go about learning how to change them?

Adam

The double belt thing is an anomoly with country coach.......:cool:

Good on ya Ken, although it is still a pain in the backside to change those things, especially the two that attacked you. I have always been told, aside from carrying a spare set, that it is prudent to change a belt when the writing starts to disappear, be it logo, part number or whatever!

John

jimshoen
05-11-2008, 11:14 PM
God helps those who help themselves.
Be prepared.

05-12-2008, 07:48 AM
God helps those who help themselves.
Be prepared.
Hi Jim,

I just had my belts changed while at Prevost Jacksonville Fl. The belts looked ok to me. The set of three on the left, one was too large. It was the right number, but was bigger than the rest. When the engine is off and the airbags empty the belts just slip off (98 shell) and they can be changed with no hassle, even I can do this. Which belts are hard to change?

I was also considering the belt upgrade. Where you can change out the three for one large belt. It appears to me that the one belt might last longer than the three separate ones??? The mechanic talked me out of it saying that if one belt failed that I was not stuck?? Your thoughts.

Joe Cannarozzi
05-12-2008, 08:18 AM
Usually multiple belts are bad. It is too hard to get an exact pair or set and when one runs loose it comes off and takes the others with it, almost every time.

One belt always lasted longer than two on my Mopar and Caterpillar alternators.

Buying two or three of the same belts is not the same as buying a matched set and a matched set is still not as reliable as one.

05-12-2008, 08:30 AM
Usually multiple belts are bad. It is too hard to get an exact pair or set and when one runs loose it comes off and takes the others with it, almost every time.

One belt always lasted longer than two on my Mopar and Caterpillar alternators.

Buying two or three of the same belts is not the same as buying a matched set and a matched set is still not as reliable as one.
Hi Joe,

So should I get the upgrade then? I assumed that Detroit changed the belt system for a good reason. The belt looks like it fits better and looks stronger.

Do they come on and off as easily as the three belt system?

How long do belts last, miles, months, years etc. is there a rule of thumb? John mentioned the writing, when it disappears. Of course when they look funky cracked etc then for sure.

Joe Cannarozzi
05-12-2008, 08:42 AM
That is what I had Bruce. The way we use these buses usually, they will get outdated before they wear out. Probably every 2 or 3 years would be my time frame.

BrianE
05-12-2008, 11:43 AM
Speaking of belts, our Liberty (8V) has 2 alternators/belts. Both are very long and tend to slap at low idle, another good reason to use high idle. Has anyone added idler pulleys to these belts? If so would appreciate details of same. A photo would be appreciated. Thanks.

jack14r
05-12-2008, 04:10 PM
the 3 belt in one or superbelt is manufactured as one so it does not have the problem of two or three as Joe described,the problem is it cost almost $100.I carry one of these and all the others because if I carry them as spares I will never need them.

05-12-2008, 04:48 PM
the 3 belt in one or superbelt is manufactured as one so it does not have the problem of two or three as Joe described,the problem is it cost almost $100.I carry one of these and all the others because if I carry them as spares I will never need them.
I wish that I had had this upgrade done when I was at Prevost Jacksonville a few weeks ago. The super belt looked more substantial, like it would last and not get loose as easily.

I will plan on having it done a the near future.

Thanks.

truk4u
05-12-2008, 08:03 PM
Simple - Aux prior to start = no floppy belts

jello_jeep
05-12-2008, 08:35 PM
Simple - Aux prior to start = no floppy belts

Should be part of every pre-start sequence if your engine has been off for more than 12 hours or so..

adamdegraff
05-12-2008, 08:38 PM
What does "Aux prior to start" mean?

jello_jeep
05-12-2008, 08:49 PM
If you turn on your electric auxiliary air compressor, it will air up your aux system. It covers things like pocket slide doors, step slides and toilets if your bus is so equipped. But most importantly it airs up your belt tensioning bags in the engine compartment so when you fire up, the belts are already tight, and don't get thrown off their pulleys and get shredded up!
It will also provide air to your aux air connector in the "shoe box" for airing up tires, blow up dolls, plastic wading pools etc..
:D

I found out first hand when the folks at the shop didn't do it, and I ended up with an overheat!

Tully
05-12-2008, 08:55 PM
What is the typical cost to replace all the belts?

Tully

Gary & Peggy Stevens
05-12-2008, 11:45 PM
If you turn on your electric auxiliary air compressor, it will air up your aux system.

Well heck, nobody ever told me I have an Electric auxiliary air compressor in my bus? :confused:

Maybe it automatically starts up when I turn the key on and listen for all the bells, solenoids and such to finish doing their thing before I turn the engine over? I usually wait about 15 seconds before turning the engine over?

Am I still missing something about the belt tensioners?

Gary S.

Orren Zook
05-13-2008, 06:03 AM
What is the typical cost to replace all the belts?
Tully

That would depend on the application (8v or S60) and where you get your belts, last fall you could do the 8v in the $60 range plus taxes and shipping.

bluevost
05-13-2008, 09:54 AM
Tully,

The two belts for my a/c side are $33.00 ea.NAPA BX93, and the three belts for the radiator fan side are $10.00 ea. Dayco AX74. I have never found either of these belts in stock anywhere. They always have to be ordered. Another good reason to carry a spare set onboard.

Ken

Jon Wehrenberg
05-13-2008, 11:03 AM
Wow.......so much to comment on here.

Most critical, and I am willing to get flamed for this, is the fact that if any owner doesn't carry belts, doesn't know how to change them, and doesn't have the tools or understanding about how to change them then the bus needs to be parked until the owner possesses all that is needed to do so.

Ken's experience is not that unusual for a variety of reasons, so those owners that have not yet changed their own belts should learn before the next trip. Depending on the vintage of coach a belt change can be as simple as releasing the valve in the top center of the engine area. But the time to learn and get the belts and tools is not after you need same.

As to Gary's comment about not knowing about an aux compressor.....owners are not obligated or expected to fix or repair their coaches, but should know their coaches and what devices the coaches have, how to use them, and when things are not right. This may sound preachy or harsh, but unless as an owner you are prepared to pay someone serious money to compensate for a simple lack of knowledge about the coach it behooves an owner to take the time to understand every system, every switch and button, and how to operate everything, including knowing the operating limitations.

Nothing ever quits working or gives problems when the coach is in the garage or in the service area of Prevost or a converter. Things only go wrong when you are in the middle of nowwhere and help is miles away. Most problems are easily resolved or can have repairs deferred, but some, like a faulty engine alternator that puts out excessive voltage or none at all can have dire consequences. Please owners, take the time to study your coach by opening all panels, learning the buttons and switches, and locating the gauges and monitors that tell you things are working properly.

jack14r
05-13-2008, 11:08 AM
McMaster-Carr will have these belts in stock,the X in the BX 93 means that the belt has grooves cut into it for better grip.If a BX belt is not available then a B belt would be OK,but I would replace it and keep the B belts for spares.McMaster-Carr has a price of $26.63 in their current catalog and they have a deal with Fed Ex that gets delivery to my door very early AM and I only pay ground freight prices.

JIM KELLER
05-14-2008, 09:13 AM
At Sevierville I looked at someones Bus that had a one piece two grove belt upgrade running the alternator and over the road compressor. I want to convert my two B 94 belts to one and can't find the number. I believe it was a Napa #. I also think I remember seeing a one belt configuration for the AX 74 fan belts. Can anyone help with this issue ?