PDA

View Full Version : Norgren Lubricator

rickdesilva
05-05-2008, 01:45 PM
I have an in-line Norgren Lubricator. I need to purchase the oil. I've looked thru all my notes from our seminars but have no reference to have explored the "lubricator" subject. Has anyone had experience with this device? We have oil we use in our shop tools but I'm unsure if I should use that stuff.

rickdesilva
05-06-2008, 02:15 PM
OK now you guys have me worried. Does anyone have an in line lubricator in their air lines? Its located in the drivers compartment next to the filter.....Jon or Hector...... help!

JIM KELLER
05-06-2008, 02:59 PM
OK now you guys have me worried. Does anyone have an in line lubricator in their air lines? Its located in the drivers compartment next to the filter.....Jon or Hector...... help!

Rick, You are not getting much action on this one and I wonder why. I don't have one on my Country Coach but it sure seems like a good idea. Actually I have thought about installing some type of a lubricator and using that red Marvel Mystery oil that mechanics use to keep their air tools lubricated. It also helps with moisture

tdelorme
05-06-2008, 03:08 PM
Rick, I don't have one on the bus but I do in the shop and I use regular air tool oil in it. I put a half pint in the oiler two years ago and it still has a few ounces left. I think Marvel Mystery Oil would be great as well.

dalej
05-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Rick I don't have any type of oiler in my system.

rfoster
05-06-2008, 05:44 PM
I think everyone must have overeaten the Mexican Food at the rally or the Margarita Man knocked them all out. So no answers from the gurus as they are napping.

I have no oiler on my bus, but I think it needs one for the aux system, maybe not the brakes.

rickdesilva
05-06-2008, 05:52 PM
Now I feel a little better, thanks for the responses. The fact that no one has had first hand experience certainly opens up the question of its importance if you have one installed on your coach or if not should you have one put in. I think Jon is on west coast time and lost his internet connection. But I'm interested to hear from the members who are pretty well versed on this subject.

truk4u
05-06-2008, 08:27 PM
Rick,

Never heard of this one, but maybe someone will wake up A-1 and he will jump in here.

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Rick, I can not speak directly to your application, but I have had experience with machinery.

There are some things that you must research as to your specific application, and some things to keep in mind.

Too much oil is worse than no (added oil).

Too heavy an oil is not good. (in cold weather it slows the valve movement)

You should use a non gumming oil. (or it will foul up the works over time)

The compatibility of the oil with the components is important. For example I had an automatic bar feeder whose pneumatic tubing started to split and leak air due to (any) oil contacting it. Find out the kind of tubing used in your suspension, and contact the manufacturer for specifications as to its compatibility with oil.

Contact the Norgren Co, or one of its distributors, and ask for an sales engineer, and tell him what you want to do, and ask what he recommends as far as supplemental oil for his valves, if any. Also ask what the new valve is lubricated with and what does Norgern expect of it. That is to say, how long will it perform in the valves if left alone and not tampered with.

I realize that your bus already has an airline lubricator, and you would like to use it. I think a good place to find out what to use would be your coach convertor. When they did the install, they should have done all the research on the components, and know exactly what to use.
If they answer, I don't know any oil should be OK, then please do your homework.

I think clean dry air is more important than lubricated air!
Look at it this way.
The valves are installed lubricated.
They do not move much as in say an automatic transmission, or a spindle that is in constant motion.

I am reluctant to post on the topic because it is not something to treat lightly, and have others read about what you have and want it too, and not fully research their specific application and creating problems for themselves, just to keep up with the "Joneses"
:eek:

JIM KELLER
05-07-2008, 07:08 AM
A thought on this subject. I think it is normal for most engine compressors to blow some degree of oil past the rings during operation. I find some of it on the over the axel filter each time it gets changed. Perhaps this small amount of oil is, by design, doing what the engineers had in mind. Jim C. You make some very valid points !

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-07-2008, 09:06 AM
A thought on this subject. I think it is normal for most engine compressors to blow some degree of oil past the rings during operation. I find some of it on the over the axel filter each time it gets changed. Perhaps this small amount of oil is, by design, doing what the engineers had in mind. Jim C. You make some very valid points !

Jim, the blow by oil that you mention is why in my post to Alec that contained a source for the synthetic oil specified by his compressor manufacturer, I said,

DO NOT USE SYNTHETIC OIL IN AN AIR COMPRESSOR, UNLESS ALL OF THE COMPONENTS IN THE SYSTEM ARE COMPATIBLE WITH IT!

The most obvious places to you would be the airline, and any polycarbonate (cups) on a water separator. Something about the oil degrades the plastic and it will blow apart in tiny pieces.

I think Alec's compressor is for Dental use, thereby one could assume that they have taken all precautions to filter any oil vapor from the output air stream.

I think if someone is to the point of looking for ways to improve what is there, and add to a bus if missing, that it would improve any air system to add filters to remove oil and moisture, from the air after the compressor. Air lubricators have their place, but IMHO it is not on the bus as we know it.

If you use synthetic oil you should use glass, or metal cups, which usually are available at extra cost from the mfgr..

JIM KELLER
05-07-2008, 10:43 AM
Jim, the blow by oil that you mention is why in my post to Alec that contained a source for the synthetic oil specified by his compressor manufacturer, I said,

DO NOT USE SYNTHETIC OIL IN AN AIR COMPRESSOR, UNLESS ALL OF THE COMPONENTS IN THE SYSTEM ARE COMPATIBLE WITH IT!

The most obvious places to you would be the airline, and any polycarbonate (cups) on a water separator. Something about the oil degrades the plastic and it will blow apart in tiny pieces.

I think Alec's compressor is for Dental use, thereby one could assume that they have taken all precautions to filter any oil vapor from the output air stream.

I think if someone is to the point of looking for ways to improve what is there, and add to a bus if missing, that it would improve any air system to add filters to remove oil and moisture, from the air after the compressor. Air lubricators have their place, but IMHO it is not on the bus as we know it.

If you use synthetic oil you should use glass, or metal cups, which usually are available at extra cost from the mfgr..

Jim, I agree with you. Just so ereryone reading this thread understands, I am referring to the engine driven internal compressor. Not to be confused with the auxiliary compressor Alek and you were talking about. I think that is what Rick was referring to at the beginning. Perhaps I am confused. Would not be the first time !

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-07-2008, 12:48 PM
I am a believer in science and technology. I am a user and believer in synthetic oil.

I do not believe in using synthetic oil in any air compressor unless everything in any particular system is compatible with synthetic oil.

I do not know the science of it at this time. This is my personal belief based on experience in the matter, and having failures and trouble in that regard.

Anyone certainly may do as they like, and possibly convince me I am incorrect or foolish in my thinking. I am open on this.
JIM

rickdesilva
05-07-2008, 12:57 PM
I contacted Rick Thompson the converter....which I probably should have from the beginning, He said its not absolutely necessary but its installed to extend the life of the seals for the items downstream of the lubricator like the step and doors. He also said that any good quality tool lubricant will do the job. Thanks for the replies.

Joe Cannarozzi
08-14-2008, 05:58 PM
Here is a picture of one the two 3-way valves that Prevo used on the tag on our 85.

I guess this would be pre-norgren.

I do not have the bus here or I would take a picture of what was used for the 5-port valve on the drives.

We also have a Prevo level-low system that looks like this and it does not have any of the corresponding solenoids in the steering bay that is associated with the later model systems. Ours are located directly at the corresponding axles; drive, left and right, and front.