PDA

View Full Version : H3-45 - Where's the Wieners?

Jerry Winchester
05-20-2006, 10:08 PM
Since Roger asked about seeing a stainless coach burn, it looks like time to trot these pics out. No, not Jon and the Phoenix Liberty.

I was told this is what happens when you mess with a Prevost with slides.

http://jdub.smugmug.com/photos/70599183-M.jpg
http://jdub.smugmug.com/photos/70599256-M.jpg
http://jdub.smugmug.com/photos/70599221-M.jpg
http://jdub.smugmug.com/photos/70599208-M.jpg

Jerry Winchester
05-20-2006, 10:11 PM
http://jdub.smugmug.com/photos/70599246-M.jpg
http://jdub.smugmug.com/photos/70599266-M.jpg
http://jdub.smugmug.com/photos/70599285-M.jpg

This guy obviously didn't have LEDs either :eek:

Jeffery Raymond
05-21-2006, 07:47 AM
See, now if a guy had stainless with rivets and no slide, that just wouldn't have happened, would it?

There are bus guys and there are other guys, I guess.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-22-2006, 12:47 PM
Bus N Biker Rally, Friday, May 12, 2006

Chris and Judy Hall had a first time Bus N Biker rally unlike any other. Guests of Lawson and Rosemary Chenoweth, the Halls attended the Richmond NASCAR event and arrived at the ORA rally site late on Monday afternoon May 8th. From Hampton, Virginia, Chris and Judy are in their 2nd Liberty Coach, just 5 months old.

Getting into the rhythm of the rally, things were routine in many ways until about 5:05 am on Friday morning, May 12.

Although Chris did not set an alarm as they retired on Thursday evening, there was an alarm that worked perfectly. As standard equipment on all Prevost coaches since the late 1990 models a tone indicated that a fire was detected in the engine compartment. Chris was responding to the front of the coach to determine the source of this alert tone.

Next door to the Halls were Claire and Susan Bohren, full-timers from Texas. The Bohrens spend about half the year at their newly purchased site in their 37 foot Southwind. Claire is retired and they own the only lot on the row where they, the Halls, all the demo coaches and other guests were parked.

Claire reported that Susan was awakened by a bright light through the curtains and cracking sounds just after 5 o’clock. Claire rose to discover that the rear of the Hall’s coach was engulfed.

Shortly after Chris heard the alarm, Judy awoke to the same alarm and Elvis, their dog, tugging at her hair. At Chris’s urging Judy grabbed a pair of his pants on the way out of the coach. Chris and Judy in their bare feet and pajama’s met Susan Bohren on the road as Susan was dialing 911.

The efforts in the following minutes can only be described as Herculean by both Chris and Judy, their persistence in waking up by what ever means possible as many owners as they could no doubt kept the event from escalating.

For the next hour we all watched in stunned disbelief.

Other heroes that night:

ORA manager Bill Hilliard, joining others, got on top of the roof of the Bohren’s coach to continually hose it down.

The two high school seniors that joined three other volunteers arriving just before 6:00 am after a ride of more than forty minutes.

Many of the Bus N Biker members did something … knocking on doors to insure everyone was OK, assisting with the movement of coaches, ready to do anything and everything that was necessary.

Now what?

The investigation and analysis have already begun. By 4:00 pm on Friday afternoon, the day of the event, the first of many investigators arrived. During the week of May 15 additional teams of researchers, investigators and company representations will all arrive for their analysis of events.

My promise to all our friends is to report everything significant that we learn … when we learn it. We all need answers, but it is certain that those answers will not come quickly. Many different teams of professionals will be involved and will all weigh in with perspective and opinion. Just as soon as anything of importance is known for certain, you will know.

Of the many items that surface as facts are discovered, one caused me to pause … both the Halls and the Bohrens have the same insurance company. The same intake claims representative took their individual inbound calls within the just a few hours of each other. Amazing coincidence.

Chris and Judy Hall can be contacted at PO Box 277, North, VA 23128.

You may reach me with your questions and comments via email frank@libertycoach.com, I will respond to every inquiry.

In closing I would like to again thank everyone that helped in any way possible to assist the Halls and the Bohrens during and after this event. Already there have been lessons learned and no doubt many more to come for all of us.

Sincerely,

Frank X. Konigseder and the entire Liberty Coach family.

MangoMike
05-31-2006, 10:43 AM
Here's a copy of the letter I received from Liberty regarding the H3-45 Fire. A terrible situation where thankfully no one was hurt.

Dear Liberty Coach Owner:
As a valued member of the Liberty Coach family, I am writing to you today with news of
a recent event. In the pre-dawn hours of May 12, 2006, at the Bus 'N Biker rally in Oak
Grove, Arkansas, Liberty Coach number 614 was consumed by flames. I was in
attendance at the rally and witnessed the incident. Chris and Judy Hall of Hampton,
Virginia, were not hurt, but their '06 H3-45 was lost.

Several teams of investigators have already inspected the site, and a review and
analysis of data is underway. The site inspection is not completed and additional study
will continue for the near term. Based on the very early review of information, we are
informed that it may be difficult, if not impossible, to ever precisely identify the cause.

In reflecting on an event like this several things come to mind ... first, everyone is OK,
that's the most important; second, the engine compartment alarm system in the coach,
installed as standard equipment by Prevost since the late 1990 models, worked
perfectly; and, third, whatever the circumstances ... lessons will be learned.

In the history of our company, we have never dealt with a situation like this. Now, some
days after the event, we are at a loss to suggest what might have happened. What I
can say is that we are fully engaged in the investigative process that is underway and,
as preliminary information is made available, we will make sure you are informed of
anything significant. Please know you have our personal assurance that as soon as we
learn anything of importance, we will share whatever the information. Since myself,
members of my family or our sales team know each of you personally; we want to be as
informative and forthcoming as we possibly can.

At Liberty Coach we understand our position in the industry. We are committed to use
our expertise, our years of manufacturing excellence, information from this event, and
observations from the park owners, our design teams and valued business partners to
raise the entire industry's level of sensitivity and preparedness to ensure that situations
like this don't happen.

Sharing of significant information, when we know it, and then preparing tangible
recommendations for all of you, our valued Liberty Coach Owner family members, is a
promise from every member of the Liberty Coach team.

I hope to have updated information to share with you within the next several weeks.

One final personal note .. . if you have any question or comments please feel free to
contact me anytime: frankOlibertvcoach.com

Sincerely,
Frank X. Konigseder

Corporate Office: 1400 Morrow Ave. North Chicago, IL 60064 800-332-9877 847-578-4600 FAX 847-578-1053
SalesIService: 635 S.E. Monterey Rd. Stuart, FL 34994 800-554-9877 772-463-2701 FAX 772-463-2705
www.libertycoach.com

Jerry Winchester
06-02-2006, 11:25 PM
Dang, I should have known by the chared bling that there was a Liberty somewhere under all that scrap. I told you guys those Libertys were too hot to bling. Now we have proof.

I am sure you Liberty owners will get a sticker to put on the dash with a "Bling Warning" from the legal department. ;)

garyde
11-09-2006, 10:45 PM
After re-visiting this post last night, I went out today to find my detector in the engine compartment. It was above the engine on the ceiling of the compartment off center and to the right. Was there anymore info further on this fire.? Did the Couple get another Liberty? How often does this happen with Prevosts? What preventitive measures, aside from inspecting the compartment, can be done? Gary

MangoMike
11-09-2006, 11:20 PM
Karl M. had talked about installing a sophisticated system in his bus. I wonder if he knows of a simpler system where we could just install a detector in the generator & webasto bay with an alarm located in the coach.

MM

Ben
11-10-2006, 02:13 AM
I know they did get a new coach, but I don't know any more details on what caused the fire... I believe it started in the engine compartment. Also, new H3-45s have a fire supression system for the engine compartment as an optional feature... doesn't sound like they had it.

ken&ellen
11-10-2006, 06:25 AM
Ben, Yes, I had heard that the Hall's did get a new coach. They certainly can afford any and all options on any coach. They own the Hall Automotive group in the Tidewater area of VA. one of Virginia's largest car dealers. It was truly an unfortunate situation. That said I have an observation as far as H-3 owners. Jeff Bayley mentioned that he had an H-3 in the park where he was staying at who snubbed him.....Ellen & I have always reached out to other Prevost owners at parks we were visiting.....friendly conversation and offer of a cocktail....whatever.....every time it has been a H-3.....the snub! :confused: I will let you all draw your own conclusion, but XL.....nice......H-3....???? This sampling excludes POG members who have already exhibited the willingness to interact with other Prevost owners and or members who may own other coaches. Ken

garyde
11-11-2006, 05:18 PM
If someone approaches me, I am more than happy to talk, unless I am leaving or doing something. But even in those circumstances I respond to peoples questions, etc. I look at it the same way I deal with my neighbors in my neighborhood. Some prefer to talk and be personable. Others prefer to keep to themselves for whateer reason. And others are , well.....you know. The only thing I don't do is go out and meet and greet.