PDA

View Full Version : Frontal lobotomy

bwalz
05-03-2008, 10:20 AM
When I try to level the second time after my slides are out the front of the coach remains "high" and does not respond. I have not tried to "dump" before I try the leveling proceedure and raise the coach vs. lower it.
Am I attackig the leveling proceedure wrong??

garyde
05-03-2008, 10:28 AM
I have given up with my automatic leveling . I level using manual.

merle&louise
05-03-2008, 10:36 AM
Bwalz,

I realize that we have different coaches, but I was instructed by Newell to extend/retract the slides from the ROAD LEVEL position. After the slides are out, then I level the coach using the HWH computerized leveling system. When I retract the slides, first I press the road level button on the HWH computerized leveling system then after the coach has returned from level to road level, I retract the slides.

If I remember correctly, when Loc was demonstrating his slides to me he extended them from the road level position. You may want to double check this with your converter just to make sure.

Do you have HWH computerized leveling system?

bwalz
05-03-2008, 09:35 PM
Yes, it is a HWH.
They told me at Featherlite to level without the slides, extend the slides, and re-level. It seems counter intuitive to me since the system must detect the condition after the slides are out and try to react.
Has anybody tried to "dump" then level??

merle&louise
05-03-2008, 10:25 PM
I have given up with my automatic leveling . I level using manual.

Gary,

I know that you have Prevost slides, but what leveling system do you have, HWH or Prevost's?

Do you level like Bwalz before running the slides out or do you run them out first and then level?

Petervs
05-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Sounds like not having slides simplifies life yet again!

Jon Wehrenberg
05-13-2008, 04:35 PM
This is speculation but the procedure to level then relevel seems excessive.

I would expect the procedure would be to extend the slides and then to level. My reasons are simple. When we are parked we are sitting on air springs whose pressure varies based on whether a particular point needs to be raised or lowered. When the slides are extended, the air springs on the street side now require less air pressure to maintain the coach at the original height, and the air springs on the street side need greater air pressure.

As soon as you level with the slides retracted you (or your automatic system) inflates or deflates the air springs as necessary to maintain a level situation, and as you extend the sides, at the very least you end up with the street side low and the curb side high because you changed the center of gravity of the coach.

In my opinion you should extend the slides and then level the coach. Gary is right about manual leveling. It is more effective to do it manually so you can try to keep the step up into the coach reasonable. Sometimes when I let the automatic function level my coach the front is higher than it needs to be.

jack14r
05-13-2008, 09:35 PM
My 05 Liberty will not allow the slides to extend unless the switch is in the road position,once the slides are extended then I can level.Also retracting the slides I must go to the road position first and then wait for the air bags to get to the road heights and then close the slides.This is a Prevost design I think,not Liberty.

shookie
05-13-2008, 11:08 PM
jack,,,i believe on your liberty the tag is involved in the slide process...i believe it is sequenced to dump prior to the slide going out...not exactly sure, but i suspect this is the case...i just went through a 04 liberty demo and the coach was level prior to the slide going out....i will check and advise ...shookie

jack14r
05-14-2008, 06:23 AM
Shookie,You are right,the tag unloads before the front slide will extend or retract.Mine is an 04 shell and it will not allow the slides to move unless the switch is in the road position,this position assures that the tag has the air bags in the inflated condition which will allow the air to be dumped out of the tag and this will reduce the stress which will allow the front slide to GLIDE in or out.

shookie
05-14-2008, 05:22 PM
hi jack...got this cleared up regarding the slide
1. coach in road level posture
2. activate slide
3. tag releases air in effort to relax coach
4. pins release
5. slide slides...(lol)
6. when done, level coach either automatically or manually, whatever your comfort is.....

jack14r
05-14-2008, 10:53 PM
Shookie,Your description is exactly right!!!Jack