PDA

View Full Version : Jacking Point on 45'

dale farley
04-30-2008, 04:54 PM
I'm going to remove my tag wheel, and I need to know for sure this is where I jack the rear of the bus. The manual shows the jacking spot is where I am showing in the picture--the wet spot on the end of the 2" bar.

Is this correct for a 45' coach. I do see that this goes directly up to the main frame of the bus, but this is so different than on my 40', I want to make sure this is correct before I put a jack under it.

JIM KELLER
04-30-2008, 05:32 PM
Talk about a seminar we could have used ! I think a lot of us don't understand the correct jacking and support locations. I'm so confused about this topic I don't know where to start. I want to use my new stands but don't want to push them through the floor. Dale, that point under your bus doesn't look as strong as the stands we bought. Two bolts and a square tube. I don't know about that. Can someone draw us a diagram on the proper lifting and supporting locations ? Like Tom Chilcoat did for the wiring on the chargers we bought.

Guess I should have paid extra for an instruction sheet at Sevierville.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-30-2008, 08:48 PM
I use the exposed end of the vertical structure the tubing you show attaches to for either jacking or supports. I do not place a jack or stand under the tubing cross member although that may also be acceptable.

I have used the stands under the vertical member set at an angle so the top of the stands are parallel with the angle cut on the bolt plate, and I have worked under the coach when it was supported with hydraulic jacks (the air over hydraulic from Harbor freight), one located ahead of and one aft of the cross member.

I have never had any problems supporting the bus at that point. My criteria for acceptability (aside from being shown in the Prevost manual) is the fact when the entire bus is supported at the front and rear support points I can open windows and doors and there is absolutely no evidence there is any twisting or racking of the chassis.

dale farley
04-30-2008, 10:12 PM
Jon, I agree that the structure you are referring to is where the book shows as the jacking point. Actually, it shows it a little to the side of it, but there is nothing there to use as a point. I was considering the square tube because it was the only flat spot, but I was also wondering if it would crush.

It is amazing to me that they didn't actually create a flat spot suitable for jacking. I suppose with the small area on the end of the jack, the corner of the plate is the best spot. At least it is directly under the main frame. There were very clearly defined flat spots under my 40' bus, and I thought there would be the same under this one until I started to lift it today. I feel better knowing you are using those small areas and having no problems.