PDA

View Full Version : Entrance Door Won't Open - "Barney" Inside

mcirco
04-20-2008, 07:33 PM
Coming back from Sevierville we stopped for the night at a campground in Virginia. After checking in, parking in my space, plugging in, etc. - it was time to get Barney (my Basset Hound) and take him for a walk. I went to the entrance door as I have done hundreds of times before and pulled the handle - then a funny sound - and the handle pivoted as usual put nothing happened. Maybe the door was locked - so I put in my door code - I heard the deadbolt solenoid click but still the handle did nothing. Well maybe the linkage from the solenoid broke - I just put the key in the lock and turned the key - I felt the deadbolt moving in and out, but the door handle still did nothing. Now I'm getting scared - how do I get the door open?

After a bit of panic (maybe more than a bit) - I did the following:

I opened the service door on the drivers side. Since the little operable window is attached to door I was now able to stick my arm into the coach. I reached in and turned on the ignition. Then with a stick I was able to push on the switch to open the window on the entrance door. I walked around the bus and reached in and was able to open the door using the interior door handle. Barney was thrilled. After a few more Kahlua drinks I expect Laura to make a full recovery.

FYI - after removing the interior door panel I found a somewhat complicated little mechanical assembly which was inoperable due to a pin that had sheared off. I will order a new assembly from Prevost tomorrow. It was fortunate the interior handle does not use that assembly to release the latch.

Miles and Laura Circo (and Barney)
2004 Country Coach XLII 45' D/S

jack14r
04-20-2008, 08:06 PM
Miles,Prevost has had a problem with the XLII exterior door handle breaking,they will replace them free with a updated version.If the handle fails and you cannot use your neat trick you have to drill out the center behind the handle to get to the mechanism to open the door.I had mine replaced by Liberty last year,and I think that Prevost will send the parts free to any converter.You were smart to be able to get in so quickly.My wife and I had a great time in TN,wish we could have stayed longer.Jack

MangoMike
04-20-2008, 08:21 PM
Miles,

Since Barney is already smart enough to run your family as center of the universe, couldn't he figure out how to get the door open from the inside.

... or maybe he just wanted the coach for himself.

mm

rickdesilva
04-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Actually Guido told me he would have been capable of picking the lock. He said his friend Barney told him he had this planned and as long as his head was out of the window he considered himself out and, the fact that you were outside was fine with him.

mcirco
04-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Jack - Thanks for the tip - I will try to get Prevost to send me the new version at no cost.

Mike - Barney enjoys testing his owner on a regular basis. I'm not sure if it was a test of his owner's ability or dedication. Or maybe it's just his version of fetch. I just hope when he is refilling his water dish he doesn't leave the faucet on and empty my tank and run the pump dry.

mcirco
04-20-2008, 08:59 PM
Rick - Be advised - Barney shared a number of his other secrets with Guido - only time will tell

MangoMike
04-20-2008, 09:08 PM
Touché Barney

rfoster
04-20-2008, 09:28 PM
Seemed to me that Barney is a pretty laid back pup these days. How do you tell when he is excited?

Glad to hear you were able to get in with or without the oscilloscope and that Laura is ok.

rickdesilva
04-22-2008, 12:25 PM
Miles
how about an update and part# needed to update the XLII?

mcirco
04-23-2008, 12:17 AM
Jack was correct that the entrance door mechanism for the XLII Motorhome has been redesigned. Prevost has a kit # 288556 which contains most of the items to upgrade the mechanism. The kit consists of the following - Rod #288200, Rod #288201, Trigger Assembly #288552, Holding Plate #288814, Gasket #288815, Handle Assembly #780713 and Instruction Sheet #IS-03090. In addition, I was told the following parts must be ordered seperately 2 Clips #504541 and 2 Clips #504243. (I'm not sure yet but I believe these may be salvaged from the old mechanism and may not need to be ordered).
I received the items today and I will install them later this week. Some small modification to the door is required to accomodate the new handle. The modification involves enlarging the cutout in the door for the new door handle.
The bad news is that they are not giving this away - the cost for the kit is $377.46 and the 4 clips are about $5.00 each. I plan to call Bill Jensen tomorrow to discuss Prevost's responsibility for this upgrade.

Miles & Laura Circo

Jon Wehrenberg
04-23-2008, 06:40 AM
Miles.....when you discuss this with Bill or any other Prevost representative discuss safety, recalls, and emphasize this is a design issue that could endanger life. What if Barney or a small child had been inside on a hot sunny day and you could not get in to get the coach cooled down?

I think there are enough XLII owners here on this site alone to force a recall.

Kevin Erion
04-23-2008, 08:38 AM
I wish I heard about this before the repaint that my bus is getting as we speak. The only other problem would be that it is just one more thing to add to my list of things to do myself due to a lack of trust that I have with the trades people at Mira Loma. It sounds like because the handle is bigger, thats a good thing so that it will go over the new paint.

mcirco
04-23-2008, 07:20 PM
As you would expect, Bill Jensen of Prevost credited my account for the new door latch and mechanism kit ($377.45). He took care of it in a matter of seconds. I think the members of POG are fortunate to have such a great relationship with Bill - it sure makes life easy when we need an advocate at Prevost.
Now all that is left to do is for me to install it sometime this week. The modification to the door consists of cutting 2 notches approximately 1/2" wide and about 1/4" deep. One notch above the handle cut out and one below - each one centered around the vertical centerline of the current cut out. A detail drawing is enclosed with the kit.

Miles

Miles & Laura Circo

Jerry Winchester
04-23-2008, 11:25 PM
Miles,

How about some pics of the new handle and the install process?

JDUB

phorner
04-24-2008, 07:44 AM
Yes, pictures would be great. Especially the door both before, and after, the required cutting.

Also, I'm glad to hear that Prevost did the right thing by acknowledging the problem and reimbursing you for the kit.

Good luck....

Kevin Erion
04-24-2008, 11:17 PM
Miles,
Thanks to you and your info, and this great forum, I went to Prevost Mira Loma with your part # in hand. I asked for the parts including the 4 clips and they had it all. I mentioned the problems if this fails and Mr. Prevost parts called Bill Jensen. I walked out the door with all the goods and no bill!
Again, what a great deal and there are some that complain about the 100 bucks! I can now renew my POG membership for the next 4 years.

merle&louise
11-04-2012, 09:35 AM
Is there a re-build kit for door latches on XLs?

Do the XLs have the same problem with the door latches? Or is it only on XLIIs?

Gil_J
11-04-2012, 10:51 AM
I was told by Prevost there was no kit or need for a kit on the XLs. I was further told the new XL-II door handle could not be fit into the XL's door skin.