PDA

View Full Version : H340 Wanted

jkbriggs
04-17-2008, 04:11 PM
Looking for an H340 to purchase. Anyone have or know of one?

Ray Davis
04-17-2008, 04:28 PM
40 foot H3's are pretty uncommon, and I've been told that resale is not good? There is one listed on Phil Cooper's site

http://www.philcooper.com/details.php?v_id=148

Prevost stuff seems to only have H3-45's, but there are plenty of those.

Ray

jkbriggs
04-17-2008, 05:09 PM
As I am new to this, what is the general perception of the 40?

Joe Cannarozzi
04-17-2008, 05:31 PM
It really depends on the way the owner will use it. Many love the 45's and many are perfectly content with a 40.

You will be getting an 8-V motor with a 40, you need a 45 to enjoy the 60 series.

IMO that is the biggest issue between the two second would be affordability.

IMO Bigger is better. We have a 40, it is just the two of us, we love it. If we could move up, we probably would but not out of necessity.

That 4'th A/C unit you get with a 45 makes a great insurance policy in case of a mechanical failure. You can cool a 45 way better with 3 than you can a 40 with 2 if 1 goes down.

Judi Brown
04-18-2008, 08:31 AM
We are making one more trip and ours will be for sale. 91 Liberty H340.
We would like to sell to canadian when sell as we paid the GST tax when brought it up to Canada and own private so new buyer won't have to pay it.
JB.

jkbriggs
04-18-2008, 11:47 AM
I'm not Canadian, and don't know what the GST tax is about? But I am Texan, does that help any? In all seriousness, would like to discuss the possibilities.

Judi Brown
04-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Hi JK If interest
GST is extra tax we had to pay when brought into canada. The person we bought it off still has it listed on his web page. RVShoppingguide.com If wanted to have look.
JB

Judi Brown
04-18-2008, 02:38 PM
JK
Thought had better mention it is not listed with this guy. We just noticed he had never removed iAfter we had bought it. from his web page.
JB

jkbriggs
04-18-2008, 02:51 PM
I would like to discuss further. Given the confidential nature, perhaps you would prefer to email me direct at jkbriggs@flash.net ?

jkbriggs
04-22-2008, 11:50 AM
Does anyone in the group have an opinion about the best conversion of an H340? The ones I have looked at so far have been either Liberty's or Marathon's.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-22-2008, 12:20 PM
Are you looking to start a war? Do you want the truth? Why would you expect a Liberty owner to brag about a Marathon? (Except for Mango).

All kidding aside I will admit to a strong bias toward Liberty and in favor of over the road air. But in the used coach market what you are looking for is not the most common coach in the world and you are not going to be presented with a lot of choices. Just do not limit your options as you are doing unless you have no choice.

jkbriggs
04-23-2008, 02:48 PM
Your right, I shouldn't have asked the question in that manner. Although I am a "motorhomer" and familiar with those systems, I don't understand the over-the-road air? I have seen it advertised in some ads, so it must be important?

MangoMike
04-23-2008, 02:56 PM
JK,

I sent you a PM (private message) a couple of days ago. Just wanted to make sure you received it.

You can link to it the upper right hand corner. Right below where it says Welcome, JKBriggs.

Mike

Jon Wehrenberg
04-23-2008, 03:14 PM
The issue of OTR versus inverter or generator powered Cruise Airs or roof airs has been debated on this and the prevost-stuff forums.

Those of us who have OTR generally will not have a coach without it. I think if you do a search you can find the discussions and form an opinion about if you need it or not. Most H3 coaches in the early years had it.

phorner
04-23-2008, 04:53 PM
We test drove a Marathon on a hot day and used the inverter and 2 cruise airs. We were comfortable for the duration of the test drive but, admittedly, we didn't spend all day travelling.

However, our Liberty has OTR air and, even on a hot day, you can chill the bus down to a point where your teeth will chatter.

If you really want it cold in the bus, regardless of the outside temps, OTR air conditioning is probably for you.

There are, of course, other mechanical and maintenance considerations.

In the long run, it's probably beneficial to keep your options open in order to give yourself as much of a selection as possible. To borrow a quote, "the used bus factory is closed."

Hope you find the right bus for you and that you are ultimately as happy with it as we are with our Liberty.

Darl-Wilson
04-23-2008, 08:37 PM
This is probably a little off topic but hopefully Jim Shoen will be able to make a contribution about solving the Cruise Air 'Hot Day' problem here on the forum or in Pahrump. Ask Jim for the particulars. The cure sounds good but what do I know, I have roof air and dash air ducted to the rest of the coach. :rolleyes:

Darl

Joe Cannarozzi
04-23-2008, 09:40 PM
Please post some pictures along with an explanation of the mods.

jkbriggs
04-24-2008, 02:45 PM
Sorry, being new to this site, I didn't notice the message. I have truly considered the XL, but I find that I'm a bit of a "modernist" and not so much of a "traditionalist". I really like the exterior look of an H. Because of fewer $ to spend, most H345's are out of reach unless they half-a-million miles on them. I have a 36' Alpine Coach now and think the extra 4' of an H340 would he helpful. I find that life requires a delicate balance of "wants" and "wants I can actually afford".

jkbriggs
04-24-2008, 02:53 PM
I'm sure this has been explained elsewhere in this forum, but could you tell me (briefly) how OTR works? Is it powered by the engine similar to a "dash air" system? Thanks in advance for the education.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-24-2008, 05:02 PM
OTR uses a large engine driven compressor and it is a whole coach heating and AC system. Just like in your car only bigger. A lot bigger.

If the coach does not have OTR is will have drivers air and it will have an AC compressor not much bigger than the one in your car, and it will only bring cool air out of the dash ducts. You will need to run your other AC units to cool the balance of the coach.

Ray Davis
04-24-2008, 05:03 PM
You can probably use the search capabilities of the forum here to find out more info, but to answer your question briefly.

OTR air (sometimes called bus air), is a very large (7 ton if I remember) compressor driven by the engine (via belt). It is the air conditioning system that you may be familiar with seated coaches, and is designed to cool a large bus, with a lot of people.

As part of the system, there are other components (consdensers, coolers etc) which take up at least most of one storage bay, perhaps more.

With OTR air, you would never have air conditioning issues when traveling cross country, even in extreme heat.

Objections to OTR include:

* generally had a large cost associated with it initially
* uses up some engine horse power
* loss of a storage bay

Some find it an absolutely essential part of their purchase decisions, while others dont.

Ray

Jon Wehrenberg
04-24-2008, 05:32 PM
OTR uses about 20 inches in depth on a bay in each side of the coach. That is the total loss of space because between the condenser section and the evaporator section is the fuel tank(s). The rest Ray said is correct.

Joe Cannarozzi
04-24-2008, 07:14 PM
Unfortunately I know first hand what the repair costs are. Oh I know buses aren't for sissys. I also know that the drivers loop leaves much to be desired in terms of performance.

We were very excited when we got around to having it repaired.

We have an R-12 system and with 24 pounds of the stuff to fill it we should not have to run the front cruise-air to keep the cockpit cool enough, but we do. I have also used a box fan running off the inverter blowing cold air from the back of the bus forward.

I think I remember others with the same disappointment with the drivers loop.

I don't care how much glass there is up there or how hot it is outside a system that large and expensive should not have ANY issues.

It seems to me that there must be buses with OTR Air that preform in greatly varying degrees. I would like to think that there are buses out there that do a way better job up front than ours.

Do not assume that just because it has it it will freeze you out. If I were buying again and the bus had it I would want to test it in the drivers seat going down the road on a very hot day driving into the sun, after all isint this senerio a common one? If I could not I would make an offer that reflected what a bus without it is worth.

Ray you say 7 ton? I thought it was 10 ton/70000 BTU ?????

Consider this. I definitely think that a bus without OTR A/C should be outfitted with roof airs because sometimes under extreme conditions they will be needed without it and roof a/c has better operating characteristics while under way. The absence of both the Prevost OTR system and cruise air combined makes a very significant difference in storage space, especially in a 40ft bus.

Tullys camper has the CC version of OTR air with the smaller compressor but three zones. Might not cool the back of the bus going down the road as well as the Prevo OTR but I do not ride back there I'm driving and I would be willing to bet that his cockpit will be just as cool as mine for a whole lot less money to repair and maintain.

Folks looking at one of these buses with a budget in mind should definitely consider the cost of maintaining this Prevo OTR system as well as repair costs should it be needed.

garyde
04-24-2008, 11:32 PM
OTR is definately an advantage driving just about anywhere in the spring and summer. It will keep everyone cool driving in 105 degree temperatures. My kids will sit in the bedroom with blankets , watching tv while it will be extremely hot outside. In the winter, the reverse is true, it can be 30 degrees outside and nice and toasty inside. I've owned other Coaches, but OTR is the best. No running generators to run A/C units, and relatively quiet.

jkbriggs
04-28-2008, 03:19 PM
I appreciate the input from all of you! Next question: Do Prevost's typically have leveling systems? I'm finding that the ads don't usually mention it. Maybe this is because its standard equipment? If so, are they hydraulic systems?

Ray Davis
04-28-2008, 03:31 PM
Most Prevost I am familar with do not have external leveling systems. The vehicle itself has an airbag leveling system which is used during driving, and while parking.

Some coach converters like Country Coach will sometimes add a computer controller to the built-in leveling system of the coach. Others require you to manually dump/add air to level when parking.

Orren Zook
04-28-2008, 04:35 PM
Phil Cooper is giving one (H3-40) away: http://www.philcooper.com/details.php?v_id=349

jkbriggs
04-29-2008, 03:40 PM
So, if I understand correctly, most any Prevost can be leveled, but it is done through the air-suspension system? This is interesting. I have a motor home with air-suspension but leveling can only be done via the add-on hydraulic system (as far as I know).

jkbriggs
04-29-2008, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the tip about Phil Coopers. I'll look into it.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-29-2008, 04:07 PM
JK, it ids not too late to sign up for Pahrump. Even if you do not have a coach. In fact people should come to our rallies BEFORE they get a coach.

The knowledge you will gain will be compared to drinking from a fire hose because there will be coaches and owners. The owners do not have an axe to grind so you will get straight answers and you will get to see coaches and learn the systems.

You are about to spend a ton of money, and a whole bunch after that if you are a typical buyer fixing things and changing the bus to suit your needs. What you spend to get to a rally will be chump change compared to what you will be spending on a bus, and it will be the only thing you spend money on related to a bus where you come out ahead.

The only down side is you will get to meet us.

truk4u
04-29-2008, 07:35 PM
Orren,

Any idea who Custom Coach is? I also saw the ad, but don't know the Converter.

Denny
04-29-2008, 09:42 PM
The Custom Coach I am familiar with was a converter located in Columbus, OH. They were a well established concern and then fell on troubled times and are no longer in business. I believe they converted one of John Madden's coaches a few years back.

Owen Connoughton, the owner of Creative Mobile Interior in Columbus, OH and one of our sponsors, worked for Custom Coach for many years prior to forming CMI. Many of his employees are former Custom Coach employees.

And by the way, they do excellent work.

Orren Zook
04-29-2008, 10:20 PM
Orren,

Any idea who Custom Coach is? I also saw the ad, but don't know the Converter.

Tom, Here's a link to Custom Coach: http://www.customcoach.com/home.php

They've been around for a long time, I wouldn't be afraid of their conversions , it is the same company Denny mentions in the previous message.

Jerry Winchester
04-30-2008, 12:04 AM
I would, however, be afraid of anything John Madden endorses. I stopped in Van Horn, Texas at a Mexican food establishment that had his glowing endorsement.

You guessed it; wouldn't even make a turd. The Trukman couldn't have worked up a loaf out of that stuff. And they had photos of his coach and a mural of it on the wall as well.

Kinda put me off of Madden for a spell...........

jkbriggs
08-22-2008, 01:04 PM
Still looking for an H340. Just sold my motorhome and am having "withdrawals" already. Have identified a few prospects on the usual web-sites. Anybody out there ready to sell theirs?

Coloradobus
08-22-2008, 02:34 PM
JK,

Marathon has Coach 200 on consignment. I beliefly saw an ad for it . It has had lots of new stuff put on it including a new engine. Preston Green at Marathon Fl told us it has around 160K miles on it. It is list on their website for 185K, but the site I saw it on briefly had a price of 134.5K
Might give Preston a call 1800-437-8295 or 1-813-323-2747 I have a lots of photos of it. Just email me and I will send them if you like
coloradobus@comcast.net

Joe Cannarozzi
08-22-2008, 07:36 PM
JK I know a fellow who has 2 Liberty H340's. A 90 and a 93. If you are interested call him.

1-813-323-3006 His name is Bob

jkbriggs
08-23-2008, 03:04 PM
I will give Bob a call. Thanks for the info - Jody Briggs

Darl-Wilson
05-30-2009, 06:31 PM
I was snooping around in Ebay looking for 'who knows what' and found a Texan, Mr JNK Briggs has a 1991 Prevost H340 for sale. Looks like a real nice coach. I remembered we had a POG member named jkbriggs looking for a H340 last year. Must be the same fellow. He was still looking to buy in August of last year so it makes me wonder why he is selling so soon.

I've been thinking about downsizing and noticed his ad headline states no reserve. I contacted him and he DOES have a reserve.

The point is this looks like a real nice coach but what would something like this be worth? And is there a market for one of these if I were a seller? This a Liberty conversion which I much prefer to the Country Coach. Then I wonder what our '97 45' Country Coach with 96,000 miles would sell for in this economic slowdown? I guess Steve Bennet would be my best contact but I would like to get some other opinions too.

If any members can give me a little guidance I would appreciate the input. :cool:

Darl

Denny
05-30-2009, 09:34 PM
Darl,

Creative Mobile Interiors in Columbus, OH and one of the sponsors of the Prevost Stuff site, has a 1992 H340 listed for sale on their site. Looks good.

05-31-2009, 07:40 AM
The H-340 in San Antonio Fl looks good from the outside, saw the other day while at Marathon Fl.

Also Marathon has its own (smaller) OTR system that works well for us. It takes less room and still offers good OTR cooling. Most OTR comes out of the window sills.

Also XL Vs. H, some folks are not comfortable with the drivers seat position of the H models, find themselves feeling too low down while driving the H, can't see traffic out in the distance.

I have driven both, no biggy for me, but it is different and should be considered. The bay storage in the H is better and taller, enough for some bigger items, like bikes and other toys.

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-31-2009, 08:43 AM
Darl, ask Jody Briggs about the bus.

Even though he withdrew from P O G he left behind an email in his postings.

jkbriggs@flash.net.

JIM