PDA

View Full Version : Roadmaster Even Brake - Help

rff105
04-14-2008, 08:02 PM
We just finished hooking up a Roadmaster Even Brake in my 2008 Buick Enclave toad. I am getting in error in operation. Here are the final steps of setup and where i am having the problem.

1. Plug in the Motorhome LCD
2. Plug in the Even Brake system
3. LCD Says "Even Brake ready to Test"
4. I press "Test" in the Even Brake and it does 3 full braking cycles
5. The light beside the test button goes green
6. The LCD says "Test is good system ready"
7. When i turn the coach on and press the brake i get the Yellow error message "Not operational more info" "Brake Pedal is depressed"

The system does not do anything after that i have repeatedly turned the power to the units on and off and have re-done the initial self test successfully many times.

I have double checked that i am only getting a signal to the green wire terminal 1 on ICX transmitter when the coach brake lights come on. Also the brake system applies full bakes at any time when the Break Away pin is pulled. I have not taken the unit for a road test but I have read it operates with the deceleration of the coach not nessisarly the brake lights. I do not think this should affect operation but the brake lights are on any time the parking brake is on while the ignition is on.

I also have a question about brake systems in general. Our coach turns on the brake lights when the retarder is active. Will this activate the toads brakes while going down hill for long periods of time? Will the low sensitivity level keep the toad brakes from coming on while going down hill with retarder only (no braking at the coach)?

Has anyone disabled the brake lights from going on with the retarder? None of our commercial trucks activate the brake lights with retarded/jake, why do coaches? I think it is a safety hazard to always have the brake lights going on when traveling at interstate speed on cruse control when the retarder kicks in just because you go over a slight rolling hill. I know when i see brake lights ahead when I am on the interstate it makes me ready to hit the brakes.

Ray Davis
04-14-2008, 08:28 PM
Did you install the diode in the kit to the even brake transmitter? As I remember looking at the diagram, I believe that was to prevent false readings.

The even brake systems presses the brake pedal, and then looks whether or not the break light has come on (via the transmitter wiring), to verify that it is indeed pressing the brake.

It seems like you've wired directly in, and that the bus is turning on the brake light, and the even brake is sensing that, even though it has not pressed a break. It only brakes through motion (deceleration).

When I installed my system, I had separate lights for the tow vehicle, which were independent of the actual tow vehicle brake lights, so these didn't interact.

Ray

rff105
04-14-2008, 08:57 PM
I think i know what you mean and now the directions make a little more sence. So should i rely on only the Roadmaster pushing the brake pedle to turn on the brake lights and disconect the wire from the trailer plug? or do you need to use the diode, relay type setup?

Ray Davis
04-14-2008, 08:59 PM
As a test, disconnect your wiring from bus to toad (lights), and see if the problem persists. If it does, then we've nailed the issue, and can determine the best way round it.

If it works, drive it, get up to speed where you can hit brakes normally, and make sure that the red light comes on the even brake monitor in the bus.

Ray

rff105
04-14-2008, 09:03 PM
That is likly the issue because we did not use the extra bulbs that came with the blue ox sytem that would have operated independently. I did not like the though of having to drill a big ugly bulb into the clear red tail lights. I guess that is why they have directions.

Ray Davis
04-14-2008, 09:23 PM
I believe when you put in an extra bulb, you put it in from the back side, so that you cannot see it from the front. You shouldn't be drilling into the tailight, at least anywhere visible.

Try the test, and let's see what happens. If that works, then I believe you can simply install the diode inline with the transmitter wire that connects to the brakes. Basically you don't want the transmitter to see voltage on the wire that is coming from the bus, only from the brakes being applied, i.e. via the brake pedal switch.

Ray