PDA

View Full Version : Cadet Thermostat

lloyd&pamela
04-13-2008, 08:17 AM
The living room Cadet C400 series heater. Never turns off and starts blowing cool air after starting off hot.

It seems to work correctly at first and reach the desired temperature and them the heating coil turns off but the fan continues and the heating coil never comes back on.

Is this a thermostat issue?

BrianE
04-13-2008, 08:23 AM
Lloyd,

The Cadet is a very simple little heater. The thermostat could be the problem. Dirt could also be the culprit. Would suggest removing the heater for inspection should be the first order of business. You might be able to find help nearby. :)

lloyd&pamela
04-13-2008, 08:31 AM
I will remove and clean now. The thermostat adjust properly. The small metal plate flexes like I would think it should.

lloyd&pamela
04-13-2008, 08:41 AM
I removed the heater from under the counter and vacuumed the dust from around the coil. The fan is surprisingly clean.

The heat worked for a fe moments and then stopped. A click is heard every 10 sec or so. Even though I have the thermostat set to 70 it is still blowing the room air with now heat.

Correction: The click happens and heat comes on for a few seconds then goes off. but the fan continues to run.

Any suggestions at this point?

Jon Wehrenberg
04-13-2008, 09:06 AM
If this is a "toe space" heater there are multiple circuit interruptors.

The primary one is the temperature setting thermostat. That is the one that is supposed to make it cycle. That does not sound like the problem unless its probe or sensor has moved into close proximity to the heating coil and that is making it cycle.

The next thermostat is likely to be located above the coil. It is an over temperature sensor meant to shut the heater off in the even the fan motor has failed and no air is being drawn past the heating element. It too could have become dislodged and if the fan is working, but the sensor is too close to the heater coil it could be cycling on that thermostat. Typically when things are working perfectly the temperature settiing thermostat will switch the heater on and off, but unless the fan has a timer so it runs after the heater has been shut off, the over temp thermostat will click open after shut off due to residual heat in the element. It is switching open and closed, but never under load.

The final safety is a fuseable link. Not all heaters have one, and this will open if the heat rise is too great, and it must be replaced once that happens. That is not your issue.

lloyd&pamela
04-13-2008, 10:11 AM
It must be the thermostat. Because:

1. I do not have the fuseable link

2. the heater is not getting hot enough for the second sensor to kick in. the sensor is attached to the top of the heater coil.

3. the clicking seems to regular for the thermostat to be triggering it that often.

I will call Cadet Monday and see what they recommend replacing.

Thanks

Petervs
04-13-2008, 10:34 AM
Lloyd,
I do not think it is your thermostat. The thermostat is a simple 2 wire switch. If you disconnect the 2 wires and separate them the heater will stop working, If you put them together the heater will turn on.

If the heater functions as you describe with the wires touching each other, you have proven it is not the thermostat.

lloyd&pamela
04-13-2008, 12:09 PM
The heater comes on when I connect the wires and off when I disconnect them.

But I thought the thermostat should determine when the room is the correct temperature and turn off the connection or is that controlled at the heater, itself?

How could I test the thermostat that is located on top of the heater coil? Thanks.

Darl-Wilson
04-13-2008, 01:34 PM
Sounds like you just found the problem Lloyd. It should be the thermostat you just disconnected. Good Luck!

Darl

Jon Wehrenberg
04-13-2008, 05:28 PM
Lloyd....a thermostat is a temperature controlled switch.

Once the temperature reaches the set point the switch opens and the heater no longer is energized.

Upon a temperature drop of a few degrees (called the differential), the switch closes and will remain closed until the set point is again reached. If the unit continues to function with the wires connected, then the cycling on and off is related to the thermostat. Before you consider the thermostat to be bad however make sure the thermostat sensor is in the return air flow path and it is not in contact with the heating element, and check to make sure that it does not have an adjustable differential, and that the adjustment did not get out of whack.

Alek&Lucia
04-13-2008, 07:33 PM
Lloyd,

We are at spot 197 at POG V. I just replaced my CADET heater and have all info with me. Stop by, we are here.

Alek

garyde
04-13-2008, 08:57 PM
Lloyd. If you have any problems with getting parts, just buy new
Cadet. Its easier than chasing down parts and their inexpensive.
Jon, you know way too much about Cadet heaters.

lloyd&pamela
04-13-2008, 09:59 PM
Jon I am going to pull the unit out from under the cabinet and pull the thermostat out from the wall. That way everything will be viewable.

During POG I hope someone can look at it with me, I can then call Cadet and order needed replacement parts.

gmcbuffalo
04-14-2008, 01:45 AM
I vote for the heater being bad. If the heater is still running the thermastat is telling the heater to run. Since the temp is not getting to the set point the thermastat is still making contact. There must be something in the heater that is not right and it is not turning on the heating element.
GregM

gmcbuffalo
04-14-2008, 01:47 AM
What modet cadets are these? i would like to put one in my water bay, I would not have to use the webasto to warm the bay when pulled into shore power.
\GregM

lloyd&pamela
04-14-2008, 07:53 AM
GregM I just emailed you the pdf brochure with all the dimensions, photos, and specs.