PDA

View Full Version : A/C won't col

grantracy
04-10-2008, 09:27 PM
My aft a/c doesn't want to cool...seems like the compressor is not kicking on. Is there a seperate breaker for the compressor (besides on the panel)?

hhoppe
04-10-2008, 10:26 PM
Granvil: Sounds like thermostat or thermostat wire problem. If the compressor is not even trying to run, it's probably not receivng the signal from the stat. Reset the thermostat to try and get it to run. As we have all found volt meter and an amp meter checks are our first line of defense with electrical problems. If a low voltage transformer gets shorted out it will need to be replaced before the controls will function. I hope it's this simple.

dale farley
04-11-2008, 12:31 AM
Granvil, There isn't a separate breaker for the fan and the compressor. If you don't hear the compressor try to start, Harry is probably right about the thermostat.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-11-2008, 07:09 AM
Gran....what kind of AC? Roof? Cruise Air? Converter?

grantracy
04-11-2008, 09:07 AM
It is a cruise air....and this morning the compressor has kicked on but it is not to cold. I am wondering if it might be low on freon and the low side switch is kicking it off? I didnt get a P/S indication however.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-11-2008, 11:44 AM
Gran, you can visually see if it has sufficient freon if you can get the compressor to kick on.

On the condensing unit there is a sight glass. When the charge is correct it will flow with some bubbles. If it is clear it is overcharged, if it is foamy or you can't see any evidence of liquid flow it likely needs freon.

Verify the condensing fan is running and that the condenser coil is free of dirt and debris. Both of those conditions will cause it to fail to function also. I am assuming the compressor does come on although it may not run after a while.

If the compressor does not come on at all it could be a bad compressor, bad run capacitor or bad start capacitor. As pointed out previously the control or thermostat could be bad or just need to be recalibrated.

If the compressor does not start, swap out capacitors with one that does work to rule them out.

grantracy
04-12-2008, 09:15 AM
Good news,after calling featherlite and around 6 other service techs I was unable to get anyone to come to where we are(camped at Sun n Fun)called a mechanical contractor I know from Miami. He asked where I was and I explained...he advised he was camped about three minutes away with his service truck and equiptment. He gave it a shot of freon and we are back in business. Anyway thanks for all the advice.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
07-20-2008, 05:20 PM
I am able to operate one of my Roof A/C units while traveling down the road, along with the Dash unit, for what ever good that is ? The dash unit keeps the windshield nice and cool :(

While running down the road, I currently run the front # 1 Unit, however, with my Slide in, am I cutting off some of the valuable air that needs to get to the a/c Unit for proper cooling in the bus? The drivers side roof return air ducts are covered up by the slide.

Jon I know, you told me to get OTR A/C, but we all can't have Liberty's now can we? :D :p

Gary S.

Jon Wehrenberg
07-20-2008, 05:36 PM
But Gary, Think of all the storage space you have now that your converter eliminated the OTR air.:rolleyes:

These are luxury vehicles and if you are uncomfortable cruising down the highway crank up the generator an cool the bus down. It will likely draw about 1/2 gallon per hour. While driving you are flowing anywhere from six to ten gallons per hour so there is no big penalty to staying comfortable.

tdelorme
07-20-2008, 06:52 PM
I am able to operate one of my Roof A/C units while traveling down the road, along with the Dash unit, for what ever good that is ? The dash unit keeps the windshield nice and cool :(

While running down the road, I currently run the front # 1 Unit, however, with my Slide in, am I cutting off some of the valuable air that needs to get to the a/c Unit for proper cooling in the bus? The drivers side roof return air ducts are covered up by the slide.
Gary S.

Gary, do what Loc does and just drive with the slide out. This is Loc's towed.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i174/tdelorme1/LM-oversize_load_sign_1.jpg

Sid Tuls
07-20-2008, 11:27 PM
Gary, For what it's worth I can run 3 of the 4 A/C on my inverters. Rick Thompson of Thompson Coach told me they can wire any bus this way. Don't know how but I know it can be done. He did it to my old Country Coach that I traded in. I had 1600 hours on my gen. when I traded it in because I also had to run my gen. going up and down the 40. If you need more information give me a call @ 559-901-6426

Sid & Judy Tuls
2007 Thompson XL11 D/S

Jon Wehrenberg
07-21-2008, 07:42 AM
Rick Thompson uses the 270 amp (big) alternator for the house and the smaller one for the chassis.

He has AC units that draw 65 amps or less at 24 VDC powered through the inverters pulling 13 amps at 120 VAC (1560 watts). Three running simultaneously will draw 195 amps of the alternator's available 270. That leaves some 75 amps available capacity to run a refrigerator and whatever other devices you choose within reason.

I think his inverters are 3500 watt so two AC units on an inverter are OK also.

What sets his system apart, and I think others should have a system as good is that his loads are constantly being analyzed and it will automatically prioritize loads and if necessary shut down devices if the loads approach the system limits. Further, when it shuts things down it is looking at other parameters such as battery condition so it won't allow everything to go to hell because it is doing the energy management for the coach.

Sid or Rick, correct me if I am wrong. I think Rick Thompson's system logic is awesome, and it may be the best out there.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
07-21-2008, 09:50 AM
Gary, do what Loc does and just drive with the slide out. This is Loc's towed.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i174/tdelorme1/LM-oversize_load_sign_1.jpg

Ted, I think Loc will take offense to that picture, BUT SINCE he and the family are in Disneyland this week, what the heck. Go ahead and Pick on him, it is such fun. :)

Gary & Peggy Stevens
07-21-2008, 09:55 AM
Thanks guys for the information and replys about the A/C. It looks like we will just run the gen to keep the bus cool.

But Jon my main question still didn't quite get answered? When my slide is in and I run the front and salon A/C's is the air intake being compromised to much with the roof intake vents being covered by the slide? There is nothing I can do about it, but just wanted to know what your thougths were.

Thanks. Gary S.

Jon Wehrenberg
07-21-2008, 12:40 PM
Gary,

Questions such as that are converter questions. Since each converter addresses such issues in their own way, what might be a reasonable answer for a Liberty may not apply to an Angola.

I think you can do the checking yourself and determine where each AC gets its air and where it discharges its air. I think once you find that out you will have answered your own question.

To show how this is not something that has universal answers, Roger and Mango and I all have Libertys from the same vintage. But I know my Cruise Air supply and return locations are different than theirs, and theirs may differer from one another. My filters are not located where Roger's are. And we have the same converter. This is because each of us has a floor plan that in the center differs from one another.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
07-21-2008, 04:32 PM
Thanks Jon, and your answer makes perfect sense to me now.

I am learning lots, thanks to all of the posts of questions and answers from everybody. What a great site this is. :) :cool:

Gary S.

Sid Tuls
07-21-2008, 07:56 PM
Hey Jon, Thanks for the information. I'am learning more about this great hobby everyday. Hope to make a rally someday. Got go on another road trip to Amarrillo in the morning and look forward to every mike of it!! Jon do the ever have rally's on the west coast??

Sid Tuls
2007 Thompson XL11 D/S

garyde
07-21-2008, 11:24 PM
Hi Gary. On my Galley Cruise Air, on the drivers side, the supply is out the top of the back wall where the Salon/Galley slide slides in. The slide does block the supply vent but the air still comes out and diffuses above and to the side of the slide. In other words, I still get air but it is diverted. The return is at the base of the wall. I do not use the cruise air units while traveling however because I have OTR.

Sid Tuls
07-21-2008, 11:39 PM
Gary, the lens came in today I believe it's going to work. I might have to do a few minor mods. I'll let you know how it comes out. Thank's again

Sid & Judy Tuls
2007 Thompson XL11 D/S

Jon Wehrenberg
07-22-2008, 07:31 AM
Sid,

We had a rally in Pahrump. It was a great one. You gotta make plans to come to a rally.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
07-22-2008, 09:24 AM
Gary, the lens came in today I believe it's going to work. I might have to do a few minor mods. I'll let you know how it comes out. Thank's again Sid & Judy Tuls 2007 Thompson XL11 D/S

Sid, glad you got the camera mounting body I sent to you. And I am glad you can use it with only a few modifications.

JDUB says the best tools to use for making your camera fit into that housing box are a die grinder and a sledge hammer, however he didn't say how big the hammer needed to be? :eek: :D

Hope to see you at a rally someday or on the road.

Gary S.

BrianE
07-22-2008, 11:21 AM
Where's the thread creep cop when you need him???:D

Jerry Winchester
07-22-2008, 07:20 PM
No joke. Spongebob is off of his ADD meds and acting like Lew after happy hour.

Brian, I think this is a hopeless cause......