PDA

View Full Version : KVH TracVision A7

bonhall41
04-10-2008, 03:28 PM
We are unable to get our 13' 4 1/2" coach in our 13" doors. We are thinking of replacing the current sat dome with the low-profile KVH TracVision A7. Does anyone have any experience with this system on a coach? Thanks.

Jerry Winchester
04-10-2008, 09:02 PM
We had that unit on our Royale and it worked fine. Everyone on the board trashed it (oh it will quit the first time a bird flies over and craps on it) and all the other assorted hand wringing, but in the end it worked well in motion and standing still.

Is it more likely to rain or moisture issues? Yep. Is it better than having a big honkin blister on the top of your coach that looks like a pimple? I thought so.

I think the Krakman also had one and I never heard him complain. However if you have a Country Coach, I'm sure it will require several more mother__er cards or whatever they have hiding in the bay that controls every living thing on the highway.

bonhall41
04-10-2008, 11:25 PM
Nope--no Country Coaches around here. We have a Featherlite and they're KVH dealers so I'd like them to install it so if there's a problem, it's theirs. I want all the stuff to still work together. They mentioned to my husband that it could a problem in the morning with heavy dew. They said we could wipe it off (yeah, I see that happening) or let it dry off.

truk4u
04-11-2008, 07:54 AM
Jdub was referring to my CC, he's jealous cause I can easily open my dash and work on anything with ease.

I had the Tracvison Low Profile on my Marathon and liked it, but you will have problems due to rain, moisture or morning dew. It did not shed water like the domes. Another problem I had that may have been unique to mine, was anytime the house voltage got down close to 12v, we would lose the sat. As long as we stayed above 12v, we were good. I had the gen autostart set at 12.2 (50% discharged) and that took care of the problem. If you don't drycamp much, that's not an issue.

Would I buy another one, yes. I liked the low profile..

Jon Wehrenberg
04-11-2008, 08:09 AM
We had a KVH on the coach when we bought it. When it started having problems I contacted their tech support folks who identified the receiver as bad. I replaced the receiver and it still would not work reliably.

After going through several false starts due to advice from the technicians I finally gave up and manually aimed the dish. It worked perfectly when I had the dish positioned properly. The problem ultimately was in the KVH control that could not determine when it was getting a signal from the satellite. I got sick of the run around or the bad information (take your pick on which it was) and got the TracStar. That ugly blister on the roof has operated flawlessly, it nails the satellite quickly, and is as unaffected by weather to the extent that it is just about as good in that respect as the one I have on the house.

I probably would not have an attitude about KVH if they had not blamed everything but their own equipment for my problems, and if they were actually able to diagnose the problem which I was able to do easily once I got pissed off enough.

JIM CHALOUPKA
04-11-2008, 09:49 AM
Nope--no Country Coaches around here. We have a Featherlite and they're KVH dealers so I'd like them to install it so if there's a problem, it's theirs. I want all the stuff to still work together. They mentioned to my husband that it could a problem in the morning with heavy dew. They said we could wipe it off (yeah, I see that happening) or let it dry off.

Hi Bonnie, now that your in this group, you might as well take advantage of everyone else's experience and research. You say that you want single source responsibility with your KVH install. "so that if there's a problem it's theirs"
If you search posts on TracVision, you will see that you will probably have problems, so what's so good about that? No one likes/wants to spend time in the shop, no matter who's responsibility it is! If you choose a different brand such as TracStar, you wouldn't have that issue.
Read the posts research the opinions.

Post a picture of the bus garage door. There might be an idea or two out here with a solution for you.

JIM

Tully
04-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Is there a web site for TracStar. I have a tracvision 6 and had a lot of problems.

Tully

Darl-Wilson
04-11-2008, 08:14 PM
I have an older TracStar that had, what I thought, was an insolvable problem. After several conversations with their tech support (which is very good) they sent me an upgrade box. I easily installed the program and my TV works perfect, both stationary and in-motion. They did not charge me for the box, I simply paid for the shipping both ways. Nice folks!

My only issue is with Direct TV. They have never been able to hook me up permanently with my local stations. I much prefer DTV to Dish but I would like to have the local channels. Anyone have an idea for that problem?

TracStar Website (www.tracstar.net) and Tech Support Ph is 888-650-9054. There is also some downloads at this site that can be used prior to calling.

rff105
04-11-2008, 08:41 PM
Looks like some of the new KVH sat have a GPS to allow locals for the area you are in with the DirecTV mobile package. Does anyone have the mobile package or are you all just acting like it is another home reciever like we do?

In-motion reception of DIRECTV’s TOTAL CHOICE® MOBILE package, the only satellite TV package designed for automobiles, including DIRECTV satellite TV programming and 70 channels of XM Satellite Radio†
Integrated GPS and exclusive 12V mobile receiver to automatically enable local channels while in your home designated market area (DMA)*

http://www.kvh.com/tcm/

Tully
04-11-2008, 09:07 PM
What is the pricing on this system? I do not see anywhere on their site pricing?

Tully

Darl-Wilson
04-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Tully, I don't think they compete with their retailers. Check for a seller in your area for retailers and installers. They can give you a package price. You can also call TracStar for a list of their dealers. Good Luck!

rfoster
04-11-2008, 10:48 PM
I posted some time ago about a device called Slingbox that I purchased at Circuit City (a store with policies I dont like). This device allows you to receive via the internet all of the channels you receive on your home system. If you have a laptop with a wireless card you can get your local channels without the hassle from Direct Tv. It hooks up to your cable receiver, and a wireless router. If you already have wifi in your home it is a fairly simple process - even I did it.

My experience with Direct TV has been a memorable one for me and the representatives that I dealt with. We are no longer speaking to one another at least in a civil manner.

There are no additional monthly fees from the cable system - all you do is purchase the slingbox ( about 180 lewbucks probably less now) and install the hardware at your home, and the software on your computer. My newest laptop (toshiba) has video and audio out so I can tie into the coach if I wanted to go to the trouble.

Here's a Link if you want more info:
http://www.slingmedia.com/

rff105
04-12-2008, 06:13 AM
It looks like they only list the GPS enabled home channels as a feature on the small vehicle A7 http://www.kvh.com/products/product.asp?id=125 sorry for not being clear before. I do not know if that feature is unavailable for RVs or is just not listed. If it is not, I bet it will only be a matter of time until all there products have a local channel system.

One note of caution about the Slingbox it is a great product and I use mine all the time while traveling and on my work computer but the quality is no where near even as good as a low definition TV signal. I have 488kbps upload speed at my house where the Slingbox is and 5mbps download at work and the stock ticker in CNBC is just readable at full screen mode. Sports and other fast moving TV tends to get a little choppy. The Slingbox works well for its intended use on a 15" laptop but i think most would be pretty disappointed in the performance on a 40" coach TV. Just try one out before you cancel your DTV.

garyde
04-12-2008, 10:46 AM
Direct TV will ask you to sign a paper (Declaration of intent) confirming your account is for a RV. Giving them a current Vehicle registration and signing their form will get you local channels.
I have not snt my form in yet, but that is the procedure they require.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-12-2008, 12:18 PM
Since when? I have Direct TV and they never had me sign anything.

garyde
04-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Direct TV will ask you to sign a paper (Declaration of intent) confirming your account is for a RV. Giving them a current Vehicle registration and signing their form will get you local channels.
I have not snt my form in yet, but that is the procedure they require.

Clarification; In order to recieve Local channel programming , you must sign their paper. This I assume is so not to step on local Televi;)sion Broadcasting licenses.

Joe Cannarozzi
06-26-2008, 07:56 PM
If someone were looking for a dish for satellite TV, currently, what would be the most economical way to go.

The parameters are: 1 Not interested in anything off of e-bay or Craigs list.
2 Does not have to be in motion, a stationary set-up will suffice.
3 Can be a used or re manufactured unit.
4 It has to be compatible with Direct TV satellite service.

I'm trying to help some good folks in the neighborhood (snowbirds) who currently have to set up a dish on a tripod every time they head south. All the other idiosyncrasy's of dong this in an RV with Direct TV service are not an issue. They simply want to get away from the tripod on the ground that they currently use to a dome on the roof, in the least expensive way.

Also What about those very low profile units that are affected by dew and rain? This is going to be installed on a Dodge van, could very easily be wiped off and seemed very appeling to them. What say you.