PDA

View Full Version : XL2 Dash Lights

Jerry Winchester
04-09-2008, 11:15 PM
Has anyone tried to change a dash gauge light on an XL2 panel? I pulled the cover off of the back of the panel and that doesn't seem to get you anywhere.

Kevin Erion
04-10-2008, 10:03 AM
Jerry, GOOD LUCK! I had a pair of eyes on the outside looking thru the windshield, I was on the inside with a long pair on needle nose pliers. I was able to get the one changed that was out, but what a pain in the butt! My left turn indicator is intermittent, sometimes the little arrow works and sometimes it doesn't. I tried a new bulb but that didn't change anything, guess I will live with that one.

rickdesilva
04-10-2008, 10:51 AM
I have 0ne lamp out on the speedo...based on what you guys are telling me, I think I'll live with it.

MangoMike
04-10-2008, 11:16 AM
Makes you appreciate the XL when all it took was a few screws off the front of the panel for quick removal.

mm

lewpopp
04-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Jerry, here's the trick.

Just reach behind the plastic shield on the front of the coach, then bend over as far as you can and kiss your ass goodbye.

Jerry Winchester
04-10-2008, 02:40 PM
But then I would be working on someone else's coach since mine is sans plastic shield.

Yep the old Royale had a removable dash pad that didn't even have screws; you just pulled on it and presto you had access. Now it looked like hammered crap next to the one on the XL2, but you could do work on it easily enough.

This has also made me think there is some indian trick that I need to ask one of the tech guys at P5 about. When I had to change a speedo bulb in my Scout, first you had to remove the front plate off of the radio, then remove a large metal bezel (8 scres) then pull the speedometer cable off (up under the dash in a real unhandy place) then pull the unit out. After I had done it about a dozen times it was a piece of cake, but the first time sucked.

Maybe this is a similar deal.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-10-2008, 03:19 PM
You traded up for this kind of grief because?????????

Do you have any other neat reasons why newer is gooder?

tdelorme
04-10-2008, 04:11 PM
I was gonna tell you how to fix it JDUB, but, Lew beat me to it.:)

Your Scout had a radio?? Did it have doors? Must have been the Executive model.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-11-2008, 06:55 AM
Hey Ted, did you notice that the color on the Scout is Tennessee National Champion Ladies Basketball orange?

tdelorme
04-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Hey Ted, did you notice that the color on the Scout is Tennessee National Champion Ladies Basketball orange?

That was certainly a sweet accomplishment and worthy of recongination. However, talk to me when the Vols win a championship in football.:)

Jon Wehrenberg
04-11-2008, 02:00 PM
Just a question to the LED crowd................

Why is it that so much time effort and money is spent replacing the easy lights with LEDs and the ones that are a pain in the ass to replace you guys keep installing incandescent? Don't tell me LEDs are just for show!

hhoppe
04-12-2008, 09:00 PM
Jdub; Get that little Japanese lady that runs up and down your back giving you a message to change the bulbs for you she has small hands and little fingers. You really didn't think you could get it done with those large meat hooks at the end of your arms.

garyde
04-12-2008, 09:06 PM
I did have my dash cover off to install antenna wire for the XM. I don't remember looking at the back of the dash guages. Jdub, are you saying access is from the front? Or, even after the cover is off, there is no access?

Jerry Winchester
04-13-2008, 01:19 AM
That's the point.; I don't know where it accesses at. You can kinda get to it from the back, but I could see pulling the panel cover to the right and going in that way. Either way there is a lot of crap in the way.