PDA

View Full Version : Tire monitor system?

Tully
04-09-2008, 10:42 PM
Anyone using a tire pressure monitor system? If so, what kind of results have you had. What is one of the better systems, costs? Ease of installing.

Tully

dale farley
04-09-2008, 10:51 PM
Tully, I am installing the system from Trikor. There are some recent threads on the forum about this subject. Several people are using one of two or three kinds. I like the Trikor because they provide both temperature and pressure, and they allow you to add air to the tires without removing the sensor. http://trikor.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

I started installing mine yesterday, and so far they are working great. I paid $430 for 8 sensors and the optional antenna that is recommended for buses or motorhomes with metal bodies. I tried them before I installed the cabled antenna, and the system seemed to work fine with or without the optional antenna. Doran is another popular system.

Tully
04-09-2008, 10:56 PM
Does the monitor plug into a lighter or does it have to be hard wired?

Is the display back lit for night driving?

Finally, how hard was it connecting sensors to inner tire?

Thanks,

Tully

Jerry Winchester
04-09-2008, 11:07 PM
Tully,

Just search "tire monitors" on this forum and you will find everything you ever wanted to know about the subject. I think there are three threads about it.

JDUB

dale farley
04-09-2008, 11:13 PM
It comes with a lighter connection on the end. The instructions tell you it can be hard-wired or plugged in. They recommend that it be left on all the time. I installed a lighter plug so I could just plug mine in under the dash, but I may later install a switch so I can turn it off if the bus is left unattended for an extended period of time.

The display can be set to stay lit all the time. The default setting is that it comes on, displays the information for each tire then goes to sleep. If there is a significant change in pressure or temperature, it alarms to make you aware of that situation. You can also hit the button at any time and the screen is on instantly. Mine came preprogrammed, so I just installed the numbered sensors according to the diagram and turned on the unit.

I had to get two offset valve extentions, because the existing stem from the inside wheel came out too close to the outside wheel. I also had to remove the extenders on my tag wheels and install some that were 1/2" longer so I would have room to screw on the sensors. The valve stems on my outside wheels were turned in toward the inside wheel. I just loosened the nut and moved them around enough to install the sensors.

Fortunately, all my stems and extensions were metal, so I hope there won't be a problem with metal fatigue caused by the weight of the sensors. They aren't very heavy!