PDA

View Full Version : Removing Rivets

lloyd&pamela
04-06-2008, 11:08 AM
I have to remove the two fantastic fans from the roof and send them in for repair & replace service. I have never removed rivets before. Any suggestions.

One side of the front fan has rib rivets as the forward edge. the other three sides and the bath vent are between ribs.

1. How do I remove the rivet? If drill, how large a drill bit?

2. do I worry about the inside piece not being removed.

Thanks

BrianE
04-06-2008, 12:01 PM
Lloyd,

Typically, this type of installation will use pop rivets which have a hole in the center of the head. Also typically, the rivets will have a 1/8" shank which you can drill with a sharp 1/8" drill. To be sure of the size would suggest you purchase a small rivet assortment at Home Depot etc, compare head sizes and use a drill the same size as the shank of the rivet that the head matches. If the rivets don't have a hole in the center would suggest you purchase a spring operated center punch which is a handy gadget for your toolbox however a standard center punch will work. You will need to carefully center punch the rivet head before drilling in this case. Once the rivets have been drilled you may need to help them come apart by oscillating the drill motor slightly. the expanded portion of the rivet will hopefully fall off. Be sure it doesn't get in the works of the fan. The fan may also have been sealed with silicone sealant which you will need to cut and possible work loose with a screwdriver or putty knife. If you have any doubts, this might be a good project to request help with at SV if you can wait. Good luck

lloyd&pamela
04-06-2008, 12:29 PM
Thanks Brain,
The front fan needs to be removed and Jon has told me how to cover the hole. We are having the F3 installed this coming Thursday and I will need to get the work done before the rally. Thanks for the info I will go buy a spring punch from Lowes today and a few extra drill bits. Thank you,
Lloyd

Jerry Winchester
04-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Lloyd,

I thought this was a trick post when I saw the title.

"Best way to remove rivets?"

Swap your XL for an XL2. No Mo Rivets.....

Let the glue / tape / sticky media comments begin.

lewpopp
04-06-2008, 05:32 PM
I have replaced my Fantastic and they make a retrofit to slip right in the spot and the frame does not have to be removed and you'll have a completely new framistat. One size fits all.

JIM CHALOUPKA
04-06-2008, 07:46 PM
Lloyd, there are different types of Pop Rivets.
It is best to use those of the alloy of the metal being riveted.
If you don't you create the possibility if electrolysis, between the dissimilar metals. That (simply said) means one of them will be eaten away.

Also take note that some (most) Pop Rivets have a mandrel (the center part that you pull and break off) that is of steel and it will rust.
You can buy the rivets with the same alloy mandrel alloy as the rivet.
Aluminum, Copper, Stainless steel, Monel, etc..

To complicate it more, most Pop Rivets are not sealed at the mandrel.
You can buy Pop Rivets that are used for instance in boating that are sealed at the mandrel and rivet interface.

tdelorme
04-06-2008, 07:47 PM
Lloyd, Lew is right. You do not need to remove the frame unless you are removing the fan entirely. Call Fan-Tastic Vent at 800 521 0298 and they will more than likely replace the fan for free. They also sell a replacement unit with a remote control that has like ten different speeds.
These remote control units are great for coaches that have some sort of cover over the fan control knob and a remote switch that allows only one speed setting.

lloyd&pamela
04-06-2008, 08:31 PM
I had to remove the vent and cover the hole for the new Motosat F3 that is being installed Thursday.

Jerry I like rivets. I never trust glue. Screws and glue, but never just glue.

Thanks Jim, Jon warned me about getting the same alloy.

There were no rivets in the fan they were installed with hex sheet metal screws. Easy to remove.

Jon told me how to seal the new aluminum patch which will be covered by the sat mount.

Thanks everyone.