PDA

View Full Version : Bus Washing at Sevierville

dale farley
04-03-2008, 09:12 AM
Does anyone know if we will be allowed to wash our bus at the campground in Sevierville? Maybe Jim Skiff can answer this one?

Jim Skiff
04-03-2008, 09:22 AM
Dale,

There will be a bus washer available in Sevierville.

Dayton Brownlow
865-607-3491

He quoted me $60.00 for wash
$175.00 for wash & wax.

I'm not sure if the dry is included in the wash.

dale farley
04-03-2008, 09:23 AM
Jim, Does this mean we will not be allowed to wash our own bus?

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
04-03-2008, 09:24 AM
Jim, How much to shine the "plastic shield"? OOOOH!!!!

Jim Skiff
04-03-2008, 09:27 AM
I don't think so. I think they allow coach washing there.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-03-2008, 09:32 AM
I do not know if camground rules allow coach washing, but after getting off I 40 and proceeding south on route 66 toward Sevierville there are a number of businesses with large parking lots just north of Sevierville.

Coming from the west the closest truck stop is the Pilot at exit 398. I doubt if there would be a problem washing the coach in their lot. Coming from the east there is a Pilot at exit 417. For reference the Sevierville exit is 407. Travel time from either truck stop depending on traffic is around 30 to 40 minutes.

dale farley
04-03-2008, 09:48 AM
I did what I should have done to start with and saved everyone a little time. I called the RV Park, and they said we can purchase a $5 wash permit and wash our own bus if we want to. Sounds good to me.

Jerry Winchester
04-03-2008, 09:54 AM
$20 for permit to wash a coach with a plastic shield on front.

MangoMike
04-03-2008, 10:12 AM
$30 with shield and girlie-man bra.

Jerry Winchester
04-03-2008, 10:17 AM
$40 if you wear a girlie man bra when washing the coach....

truk4u
04-03-2008, 10:27 AM
50.00 if your towing a Hummer...

Orren Zook
04-03-2008, 01:53 PM
it's starting to sound like that $60 quote in an earlier post is a reasonable price......

Jerry Winchester
04-03-2008, 03:36 PM
But I hear they give you the "Eunuch Discount" if you show up with a trike.....

tdelorme
04-03-2008, 04:44 PM
This washing coaches thread and our present location reminded me of what happened to a guy last fall here at Texas Motor Speedway.
We were parked facing three newer Prevost that belonged to some people from Missouri who were real special I guess cause they sure didn't have much use of my visiting with um about buses and the such. I'm a quick learner so I quit bothering with them after three or four days and went on to learn more than I ever wanted to know about 5th wheel trailers from the guy next to us. I had told him right off that the fiver never had appealed to me but since I didn't want him thinking about me like I'm thinking about the Prevost Proud people, I was nice and listened and smiled for awhile.
Anyway, here at the racetrack campground they always have a truck or two driving around with a pressure washer and three or four international helpers to wash your camper for a hundred Lewbucks.
One of the PP guys is fixing to go over to the track to watch the race cars practice, and just as he is driving off in his golf car, the wash crew stops and convinces him to let them wash the bus. I don't hear what is said, but I see lots of smiling and head shaking and hand shaking and I can tell Mr. PP is giving some real detailed instructions on how to go about washing a new H3 Prevost bus with as purtty a paint job as you have ever seen.
He goes off and the wash crew gets to work after a bit of trouble getting the pressure washer up and going. There is a lot of talking (hollering actually, cause the pressure washer is a big one and the muffler on the engine is shot to begin with) and waving of arms and taking turns using the wand and changing tips on the wand and its clear that this is the absolute first camper ever to get washed but this crew. Now, I'm sitting there in my own coach watching this taking place right across the campground lane in front of me. It's not long into the washing of the H3 that one of the crew just goes nuts while talking to the guy who has the wand. He is so loud that I really perk up to see what is causing such a stir. Wow, did you all know that a pressure washer can actually take the paint off the side of a coach? I couldn't hardly believe my eyes, but sure enough, that ole boy had found a tip that would remove even the hardest to remove paint on that bus. He had cleaned the paint off about three square feet of the H3 before the head guy saw what was happening.
I'm sure that crew meant to come back and finish washing the bus, but I bet when they saw the Sheriff's car parked there that evening they figured maybe it wouldn't be necessary.
You all be careful who does the washing, please.

JIM CHALOUPKA
04-03-2008, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the story Ted, I enjoyed it. :)

dale farley
04-03-2008, 04:58 PM
Stories like Ted's and $5 versus $60 is what makes me want to wash my own bus.

MangoMike
04-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Great story. As long as it's not your bus.

The only person I consistently let wash mine is JDUB.

... and he makes it purty.

mm

garyde
04-03-2008, 10:44 PM
At Branson, Jerry, Kevin and I washed my bus and Jerrys in about an hour. Might be a good idea to enlist your neighbor and save some Lew bucks.

Jerry Winchester
04-03-2008, 11:11 PM
Kevin has to be the hands down best bus washing padna you can have. The guy wears his clothes out from the inside; nothing but constant motion.

I think we even scrubbed the top of Gary's coach.....

mcirco
04-04-2008, 12:26 AM
I am sure I wash my bus the wrong way so I'm going to be taking notes on how you guys do it. I do know that Jon feels adding some liquid nitrogen to his water helps in some way but I'm looking for all the other secrets too.

Miles & Laura Circo
2004 Country Coach XLII 45' D/S No Lexan Shield

MangoMike
04-04-2008, 07:33 AM
You're right JDUB.

...plus he always had a complete set of tools to complete his task... at 7am.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-04-2008, 07:39 AM
A word of caution. That is an excellent set up, but it should only be used on rivet coaches.

I understand Prevost has language in the owner's manual forbidding the use of power washing equipment on late model coaches because it peels the skin off the frame. Something about the glue melting. I think.

Kevin Erion
04-04-2008, 09:04 AM
Jon, you are correct however I had the extra strong glue used when they installed my new side panels. Just to be sure I also backed down on the throttle on the pressure washer now that I have no rivets. The good news is you don't need to scrub as hard because there isn't any bug guts collected around the rivets.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-04-2008, 09:18 AM
You not only have to back down on the pressure washer Keven, but also your traveling speed.

There have been reports of stainless and aluminum panels littering the roadsides. I have seen them myself......usually near the plastic bug shield pieces. The wind just peels everything off. They call that the Aloha effect.

Petervs
04-04-2008, 09:54 AM
Jon,
Don't you think that is a bit harsh....those XLII coaches do look nice.

Think of it like an airplane built with flush rivets rather than regular rivets.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-04-2008, 04:07 PM
Peter,

I guess I should be more sympathetic to the bonded sheet metal crowd that probably wishes they had flush rivets rather than Elmer's.

I cannot help but think of the plastic RV crowd that has suffered for years with their RV skins delaminating. At least Prevost is stepping up to the plate.

Jerry Winchester
04-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Me thinks me detects a touch of frienvy from the rivetheads. Fret not, a rivet intervention is scheduled for Wednesday at the rally.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-04-2008, 06:34 PM
This coming from a guy who goes up in the sky inside a formation of flying rivets?

There are two kinds of bonded coach guys.....those whose have, and those whose will.

Some hot summer day when the bus is pointing east-west at noon there will be a loud "boink" on the south side of the bus and 450 square feet of tin will be laying alongside the coach. Right next to the plastic shield. (Oops....wrong thread.)

truk4u
04-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Jon,

Don't forget the pile of glue when the piece falls off, it will attach itself to Jdubs #12 brogans and be placed inside the Orangemobile for Rae to cleanup. The poor girl has a hard enough time with the underwear!:eek:

tdelorme
04-04-2008, 11:53 PM
You are reading all this, right JDUB. I will never understand why some people say the things they say.