PDA

View Full Version : I cannot sleep at all! Help...

Tully
03-31-2008, 12:43 PM
I will meet the owner of the 1990 Country Coach on Saturday April 12, 2008 up in Crystal Lake Illinois.

Every night I cannotfall asleep am awake thinking about this coach. What gives?

It is really consuming me day and night. I have not been this excited nor nervous at the same time.

I know the 39 foot American Dream (after and hour or two) of seat time I was pretty used to driving it.

Now the 40 foot (but much heavier) Prevost has me worried and excited at the same time.

I think I will get just as much enjoyment out of it just sitting parked and looking at it as I will driving it.

Still, never really felt this way. Well yes, a few times. When I was dating I found a new gal I met and was very excited but also nervous on how I was going to tell the current gal I needed time to my self to figure who I am and what I really wanted out of life. Sure wish I was into Prevost back then- would have been a good escape route.

Oh well.

Tully Lee Garrett

Jon Wehrenberg
03-31-2008, 01:16 PM
What you've got is a mild case of MPD.

It never goes away, it has no known cure, but after a while the symptoms seem to diminish.

In some of the more serious cases the folks just cannot bring themselves to be away from the coach so they actually live in the coach. Less extreme cases, but still fairly serious have owners putting stainless steel trim on everything, putting rhinestones on all exposed screw heads, and replacing all lights with LEDs. There are owners that polish their slack adjusters and the inside of their valve stem caps.

Accept the disease and try to live with it. The best treatment appears to be frequent use of the coach, attending POG rallies, and boring anybody that will listen with tales of your purchase of the coach. We all understand.

Take two aspirin and call Joe in the morning.

JIM CHALOUPKA
03-31-2008, 01:17 PM
I will meet the owner of the 1990 Country Coach on Saturday April 12, 2008 up in Crystal Lake Illinois.

Every night I cannotfall asleep am awake thinking about this coach. What gives?

It is really consuming me day and night. I have not been this excited nor nervous at the same time.

I know the 39 foot American Dream (after and hour or two) of seat time I was pretty used to driving it.

Now the 40 foot (but much heavier) Prevost has me worried and excited at the same time.

I think I will get just as much enjoyment out of it just sitting parked and looking at it as I will driving it.

Still, never really felt this way. Well yes, a few times. When I was dating I found a new gal I met and was very excited but also nervous on how I was going to tell the current gal I needed time to my self to figure who I am and what I really wanted out of life. Sure wish I was into Prevost back then- would have been a good escape route.

Oh well.

Tully Lee Garrett

Tully, you've got perhaps the worst case of M P D yet recorded.:D:D:p

There's no going back now. Just call the seller and say SOLD!

It's the STAINLESS STEEL. It's in your blood now and there is no cure.
You can ignore it, but it will come back, time and time again.
I have been told that even after you have your first bus you still have M P D and may end up with having more than one as time goes on.

tdelorme
03-31-2008, 01:19 PM
Tully, its twelve noon, you ain't supposed to be sleeping. But, seriously I think all of us know the feeling you are talking about.
Since you are coming out of a 39' coach, driving the bus won't give you any problems. What it will do is put a huge grin on your face that may just last forever.
If you think your not sleeping now, wait till you get her home. I'll bet there aren't enough hours in the day to do all the things you will want to do.
Don't tell anybody this, but some nights I just go out to the barn and sit with her for a few hours. You, Tully are on the same slippery slope.:)

dalej
03-31-2008, 01:38 PM
Just be thankful you have the mild symtoms, for if you develop full blown MPD (mad prevost diesese) your only treatment will be joining the TBC (two bus club).

Tully
03-31-2008, 01:57 PM
Well I had a love affair with cars up till very recent. Had a 1988 Porsche 928 S-4 (5speed), 1991 Cadillac Allante, 1980 Corvette, Hand built kit car called Aquila with Gull Wing doors. Another hand built kit car called Sterling with canopy that lifts up like a jet fighter cock pit to get in. A 1972 PLymouth Raod Runner. After six cars in collection along with two daily drivers my wife had enough.

All are gone but the Road Runner.

So I know the feeling of having a madness.

Tully Lee Garrett

rfoster
03-31-2008, 01:59 PM
Yes, Tully there are other people with the same disease, they even polish all the copper pipe in their plumbing systems. I have even seen the most chronic case of adding polished copper to their engine compartments,and then taking tubing off the engine, painstakingly removing the paint , then buffing it into a mirror finish and then hanging 10,000 watts of flood lights to blind you when he shows it off, and then ran lights underneath his bus to be even more blingy.

I know an old guy that told me he hated show offs, it is a good thing he has an airplane or two to rub on and is not faced with this awful MPD disease.:cool:

Jon Wehrenberg
03-31-2008, 02:06 PM
Wow.....who are these wierdos? Can you imagine people doing that?

What's up with these people and their big toys?

Tully
03-31-2008, 02:08 PM
The 72 Plymouth RoadRunner that I kept is a multiple show winner. Over 40 trophies in only two years. Basically went to 41 shows over a two year period and placed at all but one show. Interesting that the show I did not place in was one of the smallest shows at a local church. They all fell hard for the 57 Chevy's- Not the Mopar.

I know a bit on bling. I have multi-layered Zaino brothers wax to the tune of almost twenty applications on the paint of the old bird (the Road Runner, not the wife)... You could fall into the paint.

So, where do I get the copper polish at for my hidden plumbing pipes behind the wall?

Tully

phorner
03-31-2008, 03:04 PM
Tully, you would have enjoyed my '67 GTX.... along with the 1969 Road Runner, '70 Challenger T/A and '70 Challenger R/T....(the Challenger R/T, to this day, is an original survivor car from hood graphics to carpeting). Sadly, all have been sold.. along with the rest of the collection.

Now, regarding the bus.... you will have a wonderful experience driving the bus. We spent a couple of years shopping for ours and every owner we met said that no matter how impressed we were with the amenities, it was nothing compared to driving it. I was skeptical, since I was already driving a 42' Coach with air bag suspension, diesel pusher, yada, yada, yada.... so, how much "better" could it really be??

Simply put, a world of difference. Nothing drives (or rides, for that matter) like a Prevost bus.

You should be fine getting used to it. Just take your time, relax, and enjoy...

Tully
03-31-2008, 03:11 PM
That Mopar collection would cost some serious coin to duplicate today. I had to grab a napkin and wipe the drool. Wow! Always loved the Challengers even more than the Cuda's.

I just cannot wait to get this bus. I want to show the wife how nice and smooth she drives.

The American Dream I had weighed in at 29,000 lbs and I thought that was a bus. Did get bounced around a bit on certain roads and she just was not into that. I hope this is as smooth as all say it is - would be good to be right for once and have the wife fall in love with it too.

JIM KELLER
03-31-2008, 03:12 PM
Tully, You got a bad case of MPD for sure but wait till your wife finds out how much time you have been on this site in the last four days ! The addiction is overwhelming.

MangoMike
03-31-2008, 04:54 PM
Tully,

Respond like the rest of us. When your wife asks why you're spending so much time on the computer - just say "damn taxes".

Happy MPD.

Mike

Tully
03-31-2008, 09:01 PM
Speaking of taxes- anyone using section 179 for depreciation on their coach? You can write off up to $125,000 if being used for business. This is going to be phased out 2010.

Tully

lewpopp
03-31-2008, 10:08 PM
Tully,

When you finally "pull the trigger", don't forget how it felt, how it was done and tell Jim Chaloupka how to do it.

garyde
03-31-2008, 10:34 PM
Hi Tully. I'm sure everyone's first time is different. We expect you back here bragging.

dale farley
03-31-2008, 11:28 PM
Tully, We had a 40' American Dream before we got the 93 Prevost. I thought the Fleetwood was "Top of the Line" until I drove the Prevost. There really is no comparison.

Petervs
04-01-2008, 11:24 PM
Tully,

I am coming to this thread a bit late, but when I saw the title I just had to chime in.

A few years back we were at a Bus Converters rally, mostly folks who drove home grown conversions. Some were very basic, some were as nice as any Marathon or Liberty.

They were built on all kinds of chassis.

One fellow remarked he could not sleep in his Eagle conversion. Remember those busses, the ones Continental Trailways used? The reason, there is too much noise from the constant rusting of the frame!

Now you know why you want stainless.

Tully
04-02-2008, 12:24 AM
Well just got finished talking with seller. Funding is complete. Will be driving up to Marengo Illinois next Saturday morn. Looks like most of the driving will be toll-way. About 70 mile trip of which 50 is toll-way. This should be very nice for me in getting use to the coach. Cannot wait.

I know that American Coach had top notch customer serice even for the older coach/s. Does Country Coach still has customer support for a 1990? Or, is this too old of a coach?

I am certain with all the great insight I have gotten on this forum- should be more than I ever need. I was just reading how Liberty and Marathon have excellent support systems and was not certain about Country Coach.

Tully

dale farley
04-02-2008, 10:01 AM
Tully, I've had a Marathon, and now I have a Country Coach. Marathon had excellent customer service, even though some have had trouble. So far, I have been pleasantly surprised with Country Coach's customer service. I am really pleased with the systems and quality of the coach.

Tully
04-09-2008, 10:32 PM
Well 60 more hours and Joe and I will go pickup the coach. Man am I excited.

I have bags under my eyes from all the sleepless nights thinking about this shinny coach.

I have never made a purchase this large without seeing it in person. The pictures were great but I have seen great pictures and actual product and things went South real fast.

Speaking with the owners they seem very up front and have a lot of love for this coach. I guess the complete over the road a/c system being replaced and updated with new Kohler genny and tons of interior updates done by a proffesional converter (along with great service history)- all new batteries and Mich. tires was the selling point.. The wife seems to know almost as much about the coach than the husband.

So, fingers crossed and thanks so much for all your insight.

Joe, I will be sending you an IM Thursday.

Tully

tdelorme
04-10-2008, 07:02 AM
Tully, you should be aware that Joe will come up with some fancy excuse as to why he should do all the driving. Don't fall for it. You just need to remind him he is along as co-pilot/mechanic/camera man for the PDI and you can drive the bus just fine. We want pictures.
You guys have fun and be safe.:)

Tully
04-10-2008, 09:48 AM
Just go an email from sellers. They are about 600 miles out. Been through a lot of rain storms and such. My buddy owns a power washing business so I put him on notice that the moment we get home I want a complete wash down.

Will keep all updated & photos too.

Tully

MangoMike
04-10-2008, 10:08 AM
Tully,

After we grow up it's always hard to replicate the excitement of Christmas morning.

...but shortly you're going to relive those memories.

Enjoy every minute.

mm

dale farley
04-10-2008, 10:38 AM
Tully, Just make sure your buddy is familiar with washing painted buses. You don't want one of those jobs that is so thorough that it removes half the paint.

Tully
04-12-2008, 08:22 PM
Well Joe and I and a clsoe friend picked up the coach today. First time I drove a Prevost! Wow........!!!! That is all I can say.

I think the coach (as as Joe says "camper") really is a lot nice that I expected.

Will have tons of questions and will try to get the rig cleaned up and get some pic's posted.

Oh yea, was snowing a little this A.M. in Marengo Illinois :-{

Tully

Alek&Lucia
04-13-2008, 07:45 PM
Hi Tully,

Did you had a cigarette after driving the coach ??????

Alek