PDA

View Full Version : Touch Up Paint

tdelorme
03-30-2008, 08:57 AM
I need a source for a few small bottles of Imron touch up paint. I find several auto touch up paint sites, but when I search Imron, nothing comes up. Any help appreciated.

03-30-2008, 10:30 AM
I need a source for a few small bottles of Imron touch up paint. I find several auto touch up paint sites, but when I search Imron, nothing comes up. Any help appreciated.
Hi Ted,

I spend some of my time working around boats. I think that if you contact any boat dealer (larger high end boats) in your area, (which might not be easy depending on where you live in TX) they will offer both Imron and Algrip products. Most West Marine stores,(there are some in Tx) Boaters World stores sell epoxy paints. There are some pretty good one part epoxy out now as well. Interlux sells a few I think. have you worked with Epoxy paints before???

tdelorme
03-30-2008, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the reply, Bruce. I'm not looking for Imron itself, just a touch up paint that will match my Imron colors. I did a boat years ago with Imorn and while it came out real nice, I swore then I would never do it again. You really need a professional setup to deal with any 2 part epoxy and I was working in my garage.
I'll go by the local English Color shop tomorrow and see what they can come up with.

03-30-2008, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the reply, Bruce. I'm not looking for Imron itself, just a touch up paint that will match my Imron colors. I did a boat years ago with Imorn and while it came out real nice, I swore then I would never do it again. You really need a professional setup to deal with any 2 part epoxy and I was working in my garage.
I'll go by the local English Color shop tomorrow and see what they can come up with.
My wife is the epoxy pro in our family. Pam has used a so called 1 part epoxy paint as well, which means you handle them much like any paint. The local boat store will carry these as well. Just make sure it is good for all metal surfaces.

flyu2there
03-30-2008, 03:05 PM
My airplane was painted with Imron and I needed a bit for a couple of nicks. Imron is not sold in too many places on the left coast due to the toxic nature of the paint....external respirators and all that stuff.

To get an exact match you will need the DuPont paint codes (Imron color codes) I went to an automotive paint supplier and was able to get pints of single stage polyurethane paint (similar to Imron) with a reducer (temperature sensitive) and the hardner. Mix up the concoction and air brush it on or use a fine brush. Worked fine for me....

I checked with the paint supplier yesterday and was informed that they will make touch up paint either in rattle cans or little bottles for a nominal fee. With the Imron codes they can get it pretty much right on although the paint is not poly but rather acrylic enamel...probably ok for little nicks but may have peculiar results if trying a large area.

John