PDA

View Full Version : Lexan

flyu2there
03-28-2008, 09:13 AM
Country Coach obviously did a deal with Coach Armor in the mid 90's to install their Lexan shields on most conversions. Not sure how long it lasted but if my memory serves me, Coach Armor quit making it's appearance about 2001 on CC's. Now the business is gone, finished, closed......

So here's the question, how does one polish up the lexan? Brushes, bugs, road debris, rocks and the like all take their collective tolls on the plastic shield. The easiest fix is to remove the beast but, save the fact that it a regal pain in the rear to clean, it does a respectable job of protecting the front end of the bus.

I started yesterday with a McGuires product that claims to polish out small imperfections in the plastic....that doesn't work. I then moved to 3M's Finesse-It which removes swirl marks and sanding scuffs from 2000 grit sandpaper...that may work however I would watch the balance of my youth go away before that project would ever be completed. Finally, I went to the local Harley store where their paint guy recommended a potion of white rouge, mineral oil and distilled water....I bought a pint and am about to tackle the project again. Diamond sponge pad, lo speed buffer and water to mist the compound.

Has anyone else ever tried to polish this stuff and, most importantly, to what degree of success?

Thanks,

John

tdelorme
03-28-2008, 11:05 AM
John, this is without question the best product for polishing Lexan. If you have scratches, start with the #3, using a buffing machine with a foam pad. Then, same procedure using #2 and finish with a terry cloth towel and the #1. The #3 will also remove scratches from stainless. Lots of places sell the stuff, eBay might be worth looking at. Takes a little work but you can get the Lexan looking like new.

http://detailing4less.com/novus-plastic-polishes.html?gclid=CNL9gOqIsJICFRcasgoddUzrQg

tdelorme
03-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Also, John, this company has replacement parts for the old Coach Armor bug shields. I replaced several of the stainless edge pieces on my Country Coach before I sold it. This is a good outfit to do business with, very helpful.
http://www.summit-products.com/

dale farley
03-28-2008, 01:03 PM
John, There should be another post on the forum about this subject. Jim Keller polished the Lexan on his 99 CC, and it looked like new. I think he posted what he used. I am pretty sure it was the Novus Scratch remover products. You can get the best deal on eBay.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-28-2008, 06:29 PM
Let me see if I understand this concept.....

You put a plastic shield on the front of the coach that you have to go through a multi step polishing process to keep it looking good, so you don't have to go through a multi step polishing process to keep the stainless looking good.

Did I get that right?

I do not want to ever hear any crap from anybody about polishing slack adjusters.

flyu2there
03-29-2008, 07:26 AM
Jon,

Well your sort of right............

You put plastic on the front of the bus so that the Gomer driving the un-tarped bob-tail gravel hauler in the hammer lane at 80 doesn't share his spewing gravel with the front of your bus. It's also a good defense for stray high speed opposing direction hubcaps and moderately sized alligators (truck trailer treads from quality re-caps). I know, it doesn't do a thing for your windshield, but a good percentage of that road debris hits above the bumper and below the windscreen. The theory is that it keeps the front of the bus from looking like a corrogated steel cow shed after a nasty hail storm, Lexan is strong and fairly flexible..........but............

It is a pain to clean and polish, BTW the white rouge works, and the company that manufactured the product has long since tanked however, I think it is a decent product, especially for the metal fronted Prevost's. I suspect that the company failed with the advent of the 3M film on plastic coaches. Actually I never understood why one would install a piece of plastic over a piece of plastic (other than to prevent paint chips) ....kinda like putting perfume on a pig.

John

Joe Cannarozzi
03-29-2008, 07:57 AM
The front on ours is LOADED with road dings and dents.

That Lexon will prevent that.

I priced that front stainless piece below the windshield and the two radius pieces at the front corners from Prevost Elgin and they were only 600 bucks plus 100 for the rivets.

Harry said not to spend the money they could be repaired so if I ever remove them I will ship them to Cal. and let him do his magic.;)

Then I think I would install Lexon if available.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-29-2008, 07:58 AM
I wonder if I could get a set of plastic shields to protect my highly polished slack adjusters?

Dings in the front of the bus are beauty marks. Signs of experience. I remember when my folks would leave the clear plastic covers on the seats of the new car, and when the car was traded the new owners were the ones to enjoy the brand new seats.

flyu2there
03-29-2008, 08:03 AM
I wonder if I could get a set of plastic shields to protect my highly polished slack adjusters?

Dings in the front of the bus are beauty marks. Signs of experience. I remember when my folks would leave the clear plastic covers on the seats of the new car, and when the car was traded the new owners were the ones to enjoy the brand new seats.

Ahhhhhh....Fingerhut Industries, remember them well. Only trouble was that when the"new owner" removed the plastic, the little stars embedded in the plastic film had photographed onto the seats.....

As for the slack adjusteds, hows about a rattle can full of rubberized undercoating....that will keep em nice......under the goo:D

John

Jon Wehrenberg
03-29-2008, 11:45 AM
I can see you are going to be a problem John. Nobody puts goo on my slack adjusters. Nobody.

Actually Joe, the cost to remove the dings and have a highly polished nose on the coach is a dollar a rivet and a whole bunch of time tapping out the dents, sanding, and doing a final polish. Harry is correct. It is no big deal fixing the dings. Save it until you are ready for new paint because any dings that are in the painted area will require repainting after the repair.

garyde
03-29-2008, 09:56 PM
I had the ding Masters out to look at my car and also my Coach. As long as you can access the back of the metal, they can take the ding out. I had a small dent on the side of my car , thanks to a guy backing into me, the price at the body shop was $1200.00 incl paint. The price from the Ding folks is $100.00.

flyu2there
04-01-2008, 07:22 PM
So back to this Lexan thing.......

I polished the sweet b's out of it and it came out, oh so nice. Later I wiped some solvent on it, just a titch and the polishing went away. A google search tells me that Lexan is polycarbonate...like the high strength glasses. Hard to scratch but when you do, throw them away.....

So, are all of the dressings simply adding a layer of clear goo, like the boys at the auto detailer's do?? I am not certain if any of the products that I have used actually cut into the plastic to level the scratches; it looks to me like they fill the voids for a time.

Any thoughts or should I break out the high speed buffer and machine rubbing compound first? I hope I am making sense and not suffering from a Bozone infection!

" Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future."

John

tdelorme
04-01-2008, 07:39 PM
John, if you are coming to Sevierville I will bring along the Novus 3 part system and we'll try it out. I did the Lexan bug shiels on the front of my Country Coach before I sold it and the results were better than I expected.

I am happily no longer in the two coach club. Paul Davis sold the CC and I got a wire transfer today. You're next Mango.

Jerry Winchester
04-01-2008, 10:08 PM
John, If you are coming to Sevierville I will bring along the tools to just TAKE THAT POS OFF and you can drive naked like the rest of us and JUST SAY NO to plastic covers on the front of your coach.

There I said it. Two pages of polishing on this turd and that is still what it is.

Think of it like the old plastic covers your grandmother put on her sofa. Sometimes you just have to say WTF and live dangerously.

Kevin Erion
04-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Jdub, tell us how you really feel!

Jerry Winchester
04-01-2008, 10:56 PM
Oh, I forgot to add the smiley face. Isn't that the international symbol for "just kidding"?

tdelorme
04-02-2008, 06:38 AM
John, If you are coming to Sevierville I will bring along the tools to just TAKE THAT POS OFF and you can drive naked like the rest of us and JUST SAY NO to plastic covers on the front of your coach.

There I said it. Two pages of polishing on this turd and that is still what it is.

Think of it like the old plastic covers your grandmother put on her sofa. Sometimes you just have to say WTF and live dangerously.

My gosh, Jerry. I understand taking your shoes off when you get in the coach, but this deal of driving naked is overkill. You all might get away with that in Houston, but I strongly advise at least a thong in other areas. Am I right Mike??

JIM KELLER
04-02-2008, 08:47 AM

To all you Country Coach owners coming to Sevierville I have new grommets for these POS that Jerry wishes he had on the front of his Bus. Anyone interested let me know and I will bring you some.

P.S. I love my plastic shield !

lewpopp
04-02-2008, 09:05 AM
Jim,

After swimming thru the Dub's pile of Lew-isms, I noticed that you said you had some shield grommets. I have some cracked and broken plastic spacers and wondered where I could get some. Fill me in, please.

JIM KELLER
04-02-2008, 09:12 AM
Jim,

After swimming thru the Dub's pile of Lew-isms, I noticed that you said you had some shield grommets. I have some cracked and broken plastic spacers and wondered where I could get some. Fill me in, please.

Lew, Sorry, I don't know where to get the plastic spacers. I only have the grommets that go into the shield itself. You are welcome to some of them if you need any. I never thought about the spacers needing to be replaced some day but I guess I will start looking for a source now.

truk4u
04-02-2008, 09:36 AM
John,

Don't pay any attention to Jdub, he tried to put 3m film on the leading edges of the doctor killer and now he's anti plastic anything.:p

Orren Zook
04-02-2008, 10:24 AM

Lew, I replace the Summit shield on an American Eagle a few years ago and think that I have some spacers around here somewhere - if I can locate them I''ll drop you a line later today.

Jerry Winchester
04-02-2008, 11:38 AM
Lew - Just make some spacers out of anything you have handy. It can't look any worse than it already does. And let me think, your bus moves about 100 yards twice a year, so you need a plastic shield for.......

Krakman - Bite me. I'm not the one riding around on a flippin trike. I think that thing need a plastic shield on it painted black so we can't see you taking the "Ride of Shame".

Mel Torme - You trying to stick your head up to get whacked with the big kids now?

Orren & Mel - Having the plastic shield on your CC and American Eagle is a great reason to not have it on your Prevost. Just say no to looking like a Winnebago.

Jim - Jon is preparing do do a Plastic Shield Interventon Training seminar )PSHIT) at P5 to help those who have been drinking the kool-ade. These things are worse than crack and you have friends in the POG who will help you break this addiction.

Jon - Jump in here anywhere to keep the plastic shield nazis off of me.

JIM KELLER
04-02-2008, 11:56 AM
A New Plastic Shield Ceremony Will Be Commencing At Pog V. All Participants Will Pay $20. To Enter The Beauty Contest And The Winner Takes All !

Jon Wehrenberg
04-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Having a plastic shield on a bus is almost the same as Mae West wearing falsies. Hers looks better, but other than that they are both dumb ideas.

How was that JDUB?

MangoMike
04-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Previous debates used to pivot around H3's vs Xl's.

We're getting a little desperate here.

Mel Torme: I've signed a non disclosure statement.

Mike

JIM KELLER
04-02-2008, 03:33 PM
Denny, As a recipient of rubber grommets jump in here and give me some help. You should be the last person to let me down !

Jerry Winchester
04-02-2008, 04:11 PM
A New Plastic Shield Ceremony Will Be Commencing At Pog V. All Participants Will Pay $20. To Enter The Beauty Contest And The Winner Takes All !

Well that judging job will be easy. No one wins and all the money goes into the JDUB Diesel Fuel fund. Don't be cheap, make the entry fee $50 bucks.

Denny
04-02-2008, 04:21 PM
Jim,

Don't let them get to you. We know they paid about 100 grand more for their Liberty, Marathon, etc. and did not get the Ultimate Protection Shield on their bus. Now they're busy trying to pound the dents out of the stainless and touch up the road nicks in order to prepare the bus for the rally and are getting irritated because of the extra work.

Denny

Denny
04-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Truk,

Just remember, I have never had to put any heads back together or attach legs and arms from a trike but I have had to do it many times from a two wheeler.

Denny

Jon Wehrenberg
04-02-2008, 04:58 PM
I've planted a few of the three wheeler riders that attempted to disassemble some farmer's wire fence with their necks.

Now the four wheeler riders are doing it.

flyu2there
04-02-2008, 05:07 PM
I have to yield and agree with the rest of the Country Coachers....the Lexan Shield is similar to a motorcycle helmet. Drive around without one and sooner or later all you will be able to do for a living is to polish "slack adjusters".

So the question is, is a "little ugly" better than the "big ugly" when that 4 inch boulder at 75 mph strikes the front of your coach........

John

hhoppe
04-02-2008, 06:34 PM
My Liberty came with a padded color matching bra to put on when traveling and remove when parked. It will provide a fair amount of protection from flying debris. It does chaff the stainless finish a wee bit, but Fast Roger and I know how to bring back it's shiny ss finish.

Jerry Winchester
04-02-2008, 06:45 PM
Harry,

The bra is just another version of the plastic shield. I am surprised one of you doesn't have a bra for your plastic shield to keep you from having to buff that bad boy.

Skiff,

Make sure you park all the plastic shield guys in the same row so when they have the great buff off and slobber swapping, it doesn't have a negative effect on the rest of us.

flyu2there
04-02-2008, 07:11 PM
That's It Jdub....

Off to the lab to design a bra for the plastic shield to protect the metal. Thanks for the tip....probably sell a million of em. BTW I gather that Diamond Plate won't be acceptable...most of it is being used to protect the Honda's being toad....:D

I didn't forget the Happy Face....:)

John

hhoppe
04-02-2008, 07:29 PM
JDUB: Well La Te Daa aren't we the dandy one. Just keep that panel shucking XL2 bus away from the rivet secure models. We don't want SS glued panels falling on our fine machines.

P.S. The Prouds are looking for new members with your altitude.

garyde
04-02-2008, 09:23 PM
I have the clear 3M on my Coach however it only covers the painted portion on the front. The stainless is still vulnerable to rocks, etc. Liberty furnishes a very nice snap on heavy vinyl which covers most of the front down to the top of the head lights. (Matches the Paint design) If you are traveling cross country, it definately has saved the front from many varied attacks. I don't always use it, but it gets to be like a seat belt, you feel better when its on.

flyu2there
04-03-2008, 07:20 AM
That 3M film is what put Coach Armor out of business...it's back to the plastic protecting plastic thing again. Anyway 3M protects paint very well although it's a bit difficult to install, it really wants to stick to itself.:cool:
I guess we have to agree to disagree on the shields.....of course the front end damage thing becomes almost a moot point if one drives in the slow lane with the old cruise control set at 35.......

John

Jon Wehrenberg
04-03-2008, 07:33 AM
Has any POG member ever NOT purchased a bus because there were dings in the front?

Has any POG member listed on the "must have" items that in addition to bus OTR air or a private toilet that the front end must be free of dings?

Is there a POG member that thinks a plastic cow catcher enhances the appearance of a coach? Isn't that kind of like a brush guard for a Range Rover that never goes further off road than the mall parking lot?

Is there a POG member that has ever thought he did not have enough surface area on the bus to wash and wax, so he decided to add a few more square yards just to keep him busy?

Skiffer.....any chance of lining up all the CC coaches with plastic shields so we can all marvel at the ding free stainless hidden behind the cloudy polycarbonate?

flyu2there
04-03-2008, 07:59 AM
Jon,

I am surprised at you!

I have a friend (sans the plastic) who's front end look's like a teenagers face with acne vulgaris. Paint chipped, little dings everywhere and a couple of big old goodun's.

As a polisher extraordinaire, slack adjusters and the like, I was certain that you would have at least some admiration for those of us, who in our own little way, are trying to keep our coaches nice. True, the cloudy Lexan is a problem but, we will resolve that issue. Yes, there they will be, all lined up in a row, shinny front ends with oh so clear plastic......under constant patrol from our own Meter Maid (sorry Truk)

John

Jon Wehrenberg
04-03-2008, 08:10 AM
These aren't dings.....they are beauty marks. Signs of experience. No plastic seat covers for me.

flyu2there
04-03-2008, 08:19 AM
That's what a caring Mother would say to a teenage daughter on Prom Night when, in reality, her face looked like a Large Pepperoni Pizza:D

John

Ray Davis
04-03-2008, 02:25 PM
Wow, I really can't believe this thread.

Geez, if you don't like a plastic cover, then FINE don't use one. But give us a break who don't like our buses getting rock pitted, and not calling that beauty marks!

My first bus didn't have a shield, and I almost cried every time I took a rock, and that was OFTEN. That's also why I replaced TWO windshields out at Kerrville. Both were pitted multiple times.

My new bus has a shield, and although I'll admit it's not as attractive as one without, I'm glad to have it. And at some point I'll probably polish it out.

Let's agree that we're gonna have disagreements about this and move on.

Ray

Orren Zook
04-03-2008, 02:49 PM
Well said, Ray.

dalej
04-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Ray, I'm pretty sure most are just pulling the chains of the others in good taste. It's Rally time you know. :)

Jon Wehrenberg
04-03-2008, 02:58 PM
So tell me Ray, how many windshields would you have replaced if you did not have the plastic shield?

I have found that by driving 62.5 MPH that everybody is passing me so fast that it takes me a few minutes to catch up to the stones and rocks they kick up, You guys are either tailgating or speeding. Which is it?

JIM KELLER
04-03-2008, 03:03 PM
You have to admit some of the verbaige brought grins to our faces. " Mae West in falsies " " plastic seat covers" "turds" "Winnebago look alikes" " The Great Buff Off" I had tears running down my face reading some of the stuff in this thread. I think its like Dale said " Its Rally Time !"

And one of my favorites " plastic front shield disposal bins " over in the Nitrogen Thread !

Jon Wehrenberg
04-03-2008, 03:15 PM
Your membership dues do not include laughing privledges. You are to cease and desist.

Jerry Winchester
04-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Ray = Uptight West Coast Dude

Kevin Erion
04-03-2008, 03:49 PM
HEY, I draw the line on the WEST COAST uptight S__T! It might be true, but you don't need to remind us.

JIM CHALOUPKA
04-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Lew - Just make some spacers out of anything you have handy. It can't look any worse than it already does. And let me think, your bus moves about 100 yards twice a year, so you need a plastic shield for.......

Krakman - Bite me. I'm not the one riding around on a flippin trike. I think that thing need a plastic shield on it painted black so we can't see you taking the "Ride of Shame".

Mel Torme - You trying to stick your head up to get whacked with the big kids now?

Orren & Mel - Having the plastic shield on your CC and American Eagle is a great reason to not have it on your Prevost. Just say no to looking like a Winnebago.

Jim - Jon is preparing do do a Plastic Shield Interventon Training seminar )PSHIT) at P5 to help those who have been drinking the kool-ade. These things are worse than crack and you have friends in the POG who will help you break this addiction.

Jon - Jump in here anywhere to keep the plastic shield nazis off of me.

This one's SOO FUNNY, it needed repeating!

tdelorme
04-03-2008, 08:48 PM
My fellow POG members, I want to highly reccomend to you a new product I have had installed on my coach. Contrary to what you may have heard, I just love the look of plastic. This happened shortly after I lost my rivets and my coach looks so sweet, don't you think!!

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i174/tdelorme1/awinchester.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i174/tdelorme1/APS.jpg

:)

MangoMike
04-03-2008, 09:03 PM
Danger Will Robinson!

Unauthorized use of JDUB likeness.

Mel Torme's bus is now on the designated must visit list at POG5.

mm

rfoster
04-03-2008, 09:30 PM
I love POG Rallys. They are so much fun, and educational. Be there.

dalej
04-03-2008, 09:33 PM
I'm sure glad my name is not Ted!

lewpopp
04-03-2008, 09:36 PM
Some who have shields have nice looking coaches. Many who do not have shields, their coaches are butt ughly. Put that in your Dub-Hole.

Jerry Winchester
04-03-2008, 11:08 PM
I can't believe the Trukster got the break of a lifetime as the Mel Torme coach becomes ground zero for P5. Great break for the Krakmobile........

Skiffer,

Ted will require an empty space on either side. No one should have to endure the collateral damage.

Mike,

Remember the items we discussed on the phone today that I said were too cruel to bring to Tennessee? I was having a weak moment. Lock and load.

Lew,

Remember what we discussed about not posting on the Internet when you had skipped your medication? Keep this up and the suppository police will be paying you a call.

MangoMike
04-03-2008, 11:24 PM
If I was Trukman I would still sleep with one eye open.

Fast Roger, There's still more learnin' coming your way.

mm

tdelorme
04-04-2008, 12:27 AM
Well ain't this something, you all wanting to gang up on the old guy in the Antique Liberty whose tow vehicle is actually pushing the bus up the road. Here I've been saving for years to afford a real rally at a plug in park and now I find out I'll not be getting much sleep in order to protect the right of every American to the freedom of speech.
But thats ok boys, I crossed over the imaginary line of whats in good taste for the rivetless crowd, who have a wrapped sense of humor and derive pleasure from picking on their elderly fellow members like Lew and I.
Whereas those of us who were "raised right" and have only good in our hearts, love our fellow members and wish only peaceful fellowship with one another at the gathering which looms near.
So, I will be the one who reaches out in peace to those with mischievous ideas floating through their minds and remind them that I know how easily one can be lead down the path of destruction. Now, boys is the time to repent and get headed down the straight and narrow.
I also know how easily these individuals can be bought off, so the beers on me all week. That is if I can still get help changing out my old steering wheel for this new purty wood one. You all behave.

Orren Zook
04-04-2008, 02:36 AM
Jerry,

I don't have one on this camper, but on my American Eagle the (Spartan) chassis flexed so much that both lexan shields I had on it developed stress cracks.

lewpopp
04-04-2008, 06:54 AM
Ted,

All of that sweet-talking isn't going to save you from a damn thing at the rally.

As for the offer of beer, you have to be nuts to make that offer cuz those bottomless boozers will drink anything that's free and then kiss you. On top of that, they will call an extra squad of bombers into make sure you don't have the hard stuff that you are holding out on them. Ya know, Mango can sniff out a lime, salt, sugar, triple-sec and the makings of exotic umbrella drinks.

Just a warning, you can offer them the world and they will still stand over you and pee all over you and giggle.

flyu2there
04-04-2008, 07:46 AM
I have found that by driving 62.5 MPH that everybody is passing me so fast that it takes me a few minutes to catch up to the stones and rocks they kick up, You guys are either tailgating or speeding. Which is it?

62.5 MPH.........I'll bet your in the hammer lane to boot! Suspect your radio is turned up too, because you obviously cannot hear their horns. And that single digit that all have raised as they pass you on the right does not mean that your coach is number 1, polished slack adjusters and all!!

78-82 MPH...that's where you want to be....that's the speed where Lexan pays off. 62.5 MPH, hell, if you are trying to save gas slow it to 35 and fall in behind the lettuce trucks over there in the slow lane then you really don't have to worry about additional "beauty marks", all you will need is a table/chair set up in front of your bus when you stop, a little blue cheese dressing, a black pepper grinder and you can feast off of the saladbar that you collected on your stainless steel plate. :D

John

Jon Wehrenberg
04-04-2008, 08:32 AM
I get nose bleeds over 63 MPH.

I'm not even sure my bus goes faster than 64.

I always stay in the LH lane so all the traffic that wants to come on the interstate will be able to just merge right.

I do have to come up with some device to keep the bugs from splattering across the rear of the coach however. After a 200 mile trip I can hardly see out the rear TV because of all the bugs splattered on the back.

At 78-82 mph you will need a plastic shield. You are not only driving up the butt of some LH lane cell phone talkers, but even a bumble bee at that speed will dent the metal. Buy your windshields in bulk.

flyu2there
04-04-2008, 09:12 AM
I get nose bleeds over 63 MPH.

Do you have your head hanging out the window or what....I know, you have one of those train whistles, explains that one;)
I'm not even sure my bus goes faster than 64

I guess it's pretty hard to tell, what with your eyes watering from the breeze and trying to keep that engineers hat in place.;)
I always stay in the LH lane so all the traffic that wants to come on the interstate will be able to just merge right.

See previous message;)

I do have to come up with some device to keep the bugs from splattering across the rear of the coach however. After a 200 mile trip I can hardly see out the rear TV because of all the bugs splattered on the back.

Have you thought of a rear, giant sized, trimmed with chrome and highly polished Lexan Shield, kinda like the one that JDUB is endorsing;) or is your transmission installed backwards...you know, like the Italian Tanks left over from WWII with six speeds in reverse and one forward, just in case they got attacked from the rear......that may explain it all!

At 78-82 mph you will need a plastic shield. You are not only driving up the butt of some LH lane cell phone talkers, but even a bumble bee at that speed will dent the metal. Buy your windshields in bulk.

At 78-82 I am merely following the flow of traffic. I also use my "fear flashers" a light bar set up below the bumper with 10 Lucas Flame Throwers, makes the vehicle in front think the Sun is coming up in ther rear view mirror.
John

Jon Wehrenberg
04-04-2008, 09:24 AM
I get nose bleeds over 63 because at those high speeds my heart is just a pounding. Downright scary I tell ya.

Every now and then to control all the traffic speeds I find an old Pinto or Falcon in the right lane and I stay along side of him for a few counties. Yehaw. I love driving the big bus.

Jerry Winchester
04-04-2008, 06:05 PM
I took you at your word with "Enough Already". I figured that was airline pilot lingo for "Poke a fork in this one".

Guess not.

I think you should consider using the 3M film in multiple layers on the plastic shield so you could do like the dirt track guys and just tear one off instead of cleaning it. Then place it sticky side up on the picnic table and there you go; a giant fly trap.

truk4u
04-04-2008, 08:24 PM
Hey Mel, no sucking up, you gotta take it like a man. I love it, now your in the Dynamic Duo crosshairs instead of me. I'm so glad you joined up with this bunch of weenies, sure takes a little pressure off the Trukman. They are getting a little jumpy though, it always happens about this time, a week or two before the Rally. They got blind sided in Branson, kind of like seeing a weasel in your headlights.

Right now they're both rummaging through their Acme Bag of nasty deeds and the air strikes are coming. You can't stop the sorties, you just have to take the best defensive position you can and hope for the best.

Were are you parking, I need to protect my flanks?

truk4u
04-04-2008, 08:27 PM
And just for the Lexan record, my CC doesn't have the Fleedwood American Eagle Shield. Someone smarter than me removed it before I got it.

Mel said anyone with a shield is a Puss.....:p

Jim_Scoggins
04-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Jerry,

I don't have one on this camper, but on my American Eagle the (Spartan) chassis flexed so much that both lexan shields I had on it developed stress cracks.

Because inquiring minds want to know: A little knowledge about cracks.

The maximum stress felt near a crack occurs in the area of lowest radius of
curvature. In an elliptical crack of length 2a and width 2b, under an
applied external stress σ, the stress at the ends of the major axes is given
by:
σ(max)= σ(1 + 2a/b) = 2σ [sq rt (a/ρ)]; where ρ is the radius of curvature
of the crack tip. A stress concentration factor is the ratio of the highest
stress (σmax) to a reference stress (σ) of the gross cross-section. As the
radius of curvature approaches zero, the maximum stress approaches infinity.
Note that the stress concentration factor is a function of the geometry of a
crack, and not of its size.

I found this in a book. I know words!

Joe Cannarozzi
04-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Jim are you back in Okinawa?

tdelorme
04-04-2008, 11:48 PM
Jim, would it be ok for me to borrow Pootie the Guard Dog at Sevierville? Can he bring some friends?

garyde
04-05-2008, 01:04 AM
Tom, you know they just can't help themseves! I think if you sprinkle eucalyptus leaves and wear garlic around your neck........ Oh screw it. Lock and bolt your doors when the sun goes down.

truk4u
04-05-2008, 09:26 AM
Thanks Gary, the new codes are now safe and the electrified wiring to the engine access doors is complete. Thanks for the know how on the electrical stuff, I couldn't have done it without you!:D

Jim_Scoggins
04-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Joe C:
I back from Okinawa two weeks ago--still hasn't sunk

Ted D:
Pootie the All American Guard Dog will be on duty to protect our coaches from Pogite Slithery Ner-Do-Wells and Lurker types. Probably won't need much help with the normal rally trash. She has backup with guns and dynamite.

tdelorme
04-05-2008, 10:22 AM
Ted D:
Pootie the All American Guard Dog will be on duty to protect our coaches from Pogite Slithery Ner-Do-Wells and Lurker types. Probably won't need much help with the normal rally trash. She has backup with guns and dynamite.
"Painted Lady"
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD
Dragon Lady and Guard Dog Pootie

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i174/tdelorme1/YES.jpg

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
05-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Just finished with my new bug catcher. With all the disdain everyone has for them I thought I would find a nice one in the junk pile at POG 5 Sevierville, that was better than mine. Alas you guys must have been too embarrassed too admit you had one on your bus and left them at home. So on our way to Detroit from Siverville I decided to build my own. After a day of calls I located a fabricator to discuss the plan. He wanted to see the old one before committing to the project. After delivering my old one the fabricator, he agreed to bend and rout the new one. I noted that there were several holes that I did not want drilled because the old one did not align like I wanted but he drilled them anyway. I am happy with the outcome. He quoted $ 800 and paid $ 700. I asked if he would consider making more. He replied that if he did he would make a wood form and the bends would appear nicer and would cost between $ 500-600. Advise. If I were to do it again the only holes I would have the fabricator drill would be the 2 lower ones by the head lights. Then mount on these to locate all the others as I had to elongate several to fit them up. Lots of fun while your on the road. I have tried to attach the photos of the finished job but dont think its going to work.

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
05-13-2008, 10:06 AM
Here are 2 pictures that started a learning process for resizing and of course the main reason Ed started this: THE NEW BUG CATCHER
So here we go!
Sandy

JIM KELLER
05-13-2008, 03:27 PM
Here are 2 pictures that started a learning process for resizing and of course the main reason Ed started this: THE NEW BUG CATCHER
So here we go!
Sandy

FROM ONE PLASTIC SHIELD LOVER TO ANOTHER , THAT LOOKS GREAT ! ED, I ALSO HAVE THE RUBBER GROMMETS THAT FIT THE LARGE THREAD FASTNERS AT THE WINDSHIELD WIPERS, HEADLAMPS AND OUTSIDE EDGES. LET ME KNOW IF YOU ARE NOT HAPPY WITH THE GROMMETS YOU ARE USING.

dreamchasers
05-13-2008, 03:51 PM
FROM ONE PLASTIC SHIELD LOVER TO ANOTHER , THAT LOOKS GREAT ! ED, I ALSO HAVE THE RUBBER GROMMETS THAT FIT THE LARGE THREAD FASTNERS AT THE WINDSHIELD WIPERS, HEADLAMPS AND OUTSIDE EDGES. LET ME KNOW IF YOU ARE NOT HAPPY WITH THE GROMMETS YOU ARE USING.

Jim,

I am planning on replacing all the rubber grommets on my shield. Where did you purchase them and a p/n would be handy?

Country Coach, "Shield Proud".

Hector

JIM KELLER
05-13-2008, 05:37 PM
Jim,

I am planning on replacing all the rubber grommets on my shield. Where did you purchase them and a p/n would be handy?

Country Coach, "Shield Proud".

Hector

Hector, I don't remember where I got them but I had to buy 50. I have given some away but still have some left in the box. The size I have fit the large diameter main attachment points. They don't fit the row under the windshield. I think six grommets is what you will need. Tell me where to send them and they will be on the way !

P.S. The top row on mine is a very thin rubber gasket, unlike the grommet that fits into the plastic for support on both sides. I think the six on top are different because they don't support weight, their function is to hold the shield out from hitting the bus as a result of wind force.

lewpopp
05-13-2008, 09:22 PM
You speak of rubber gaskets, but I don't think you are speaking of the plastic spacers, are you?

Have I confused everyone yet. I am in need of the plastic spacers and am willing to make them myself if I can find the plastic dowel to cut. Anyone know where to get a clear plastic dowel?

JIM KELLER
05-14-2008, 06:16 AM
You speak of rubber gaskets, but I don't think you are speaking of the plastic spacers, are you?

Have I confused everyone yet. I am in need of the plastic spacers and am willing to make them myself if I can find the plastic dowel to cut. Anyone know where to get a clear plastic dowel?

Lew, I don't know of a source for the plastic dowels. If you find one please let me know. It would be nice to have spares.

Joe Cannarozzi
05-14-2008, 08:16 AM
Give Chalupka time to read this he will put up a source.

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-14-2008, 08:28 AM
Give Chalupka time to read this he will put up a source.

Well Joe, I'm reading right along. Before I closed my shop, I could have made a couple thousand spacers in no time. Now it's a different story.
The problem with this one is the quantity required is so low that to find a reasonably priced source for a small amount of the material will be difficult, even if you make your own.

Without even looking, I would say Mc Master-
Carr might have something. There are also plastic supply houses in most large cities that would have it.

You also might find a towel bar in a (???) that you could salvage.

Joe Cannarozzi
05-14-2008, 08:32 AM
Jim yer breakin my heart.

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-14-2008, 08:37 AM
http://www.aetnaplastics.com/

Lew, call them and ask for sales, tell them the size you need and they will quote you.

Ask both ways, material only and the spacer made to your size.

JIM

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-14-2008, 08:40 AM
For something like a bug shield, you might as well cut up an old broom stick and drill it out.:p

JIM KELLER
05-14-2008, 09:15 AM
For something like a bug shield, you might as well cut up an old broom stick and drill it out.:p

NOW JIM ! ! !

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-14-2008, 10:03 AM
Just joking :D:D

tdelorme
05-14-2008, 10:19 AM
http://www.smallparts.com/products/descriptions/zpr.cfm?Source=GG&cpgn=Wire&grp=Nickel%20Silver&strg=German%20Silver%20Wire&gclid=CJfqy5qXppMCFQ7WsgodHh1zow

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
05-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Lew, I don't know of a source for the plastic dowels. If you find one please let me know. It would be nice to have spares.

Ed said:"Grommets can be found in 3 different sizes(6per package) and the plastic dowel, try US Plastics in Lima, Ohio."
Contrary to belief he has found that most of the shields are not made of Lexan(due to the fact of yellowing too fast). Most of the shields are made out of acrylic.

Sandy, (the secretary ):rolleyes:

lewpopp
05-14-2008, 10:15 PM
Sandy, is that (USPlastics) where the shield was made?

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
05-14-2008, 10:21 PM
No, we had the shield fabricated in Warren, Michigan. This was their first shield made and was all done by replicating the old shield.
Sandy

Jerry Winchester
05-14-2008, 10:23 PM

I think this sums it up....

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
05-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Jerry, you are just jealous because your shield has "bubbles all in it and turned blue". By the way, I am going to get the shooting pics ready to put here on the forum and you look like the pro.
Sandy

Jerry Winchester
05-14-2008, 10:39 PM
Sandy,

I thought maybe you had deleted the photos since it has been a month since we shot........

Reckon we'll see them this year?

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
05-14-2008, 10:48 PM
Yes, Jerry. You will see them this year. Actually, I am just learning how to post a picture. Mango Mike, DaleJ, and Joe C have been helping me on the resizing issue. PS, I have just gotten home in Key West and been home only 1week since. We had to leave POGV and head to Detroit then to "Jawga" and then "Ilabam". Getting ready to leave again this weekend for Red Stone State Park, GA. Our bus is in GA right now.
Sandy