PDA

View Full Version : Cross Country - Where to go?

Ray Davis
03-28-2008, 01:38 AM
This is real early in my planning stage, but I thought I'd ask now as I do start planning things.

I'm saving as much vacation as I can over the next 14 months, so that in May of 2009 I can drive cross country in my bus to see my son graduate from West Point (in New York). I'm planning on taking 6 to 7 weeks, and really enjoying it.

This will be my first time to actually drive through much of this country, other than the west coast (and my three trips down highways 10/40 to Kerrville TX!!)

SO, I'm looking for suggestions. Suggested route, suggested places to camp for a night (or longer). Places to eat, play etc. I had hoped to go to the SD rally in September, but unfortunately we're gonna miss it. I've never ever been in that part of the country.

Right now I have only a few places that I know I have to go, other than that, I can take any route we please.

1. I need to be at West Point NY the week of May 18-24, 2009 for graduation.
2. My sister lives nearby in Connecticut
3. I've got to stop at Mango Mikes, either on my way in, or out (or both!)
4. I've got a friend I'd like to see in Nashville.

I do plan on going back through old posts and getting some ideas. But, if anyone would like to share, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
Ray

Jim_Scoggins
03-28-2008, 06:00 AM
Ray;
Have your son try to get you reservations at the Round Pond Campground there aboard post. I suggest you do this as soon as you can as it will fill up during graduation week. The P will not fit in most of their spots -- but a gravel overflow area handled my old Bluebird just fine. 30 amp power and water --honey bucket three times a week --$3.00 a shot. Steep climb going in and they will block a short section of road so you can get out easily. Don't let any of this discourage you--it's a great campground, geat surroundings.

MWR has some great day trips into NY for sightseeing, plays, etc. Details are probably on the web site. Day trips up the Hudson River valley to see the mansions is another good thing.

Don't miss touring the cemetary there at West Point-- a stroll through American history, and yes, Marty Mahr is really buried there!

I-40 across OK and AK used to be really rough.

Ray Davis
03-28-2008, 03:14 PM
Hi Jim

I had planned on actually staying at North Dock during grad week. I've been to Round Pond (in a car), and as you said, there's only a few sites which would fit a bus.

Unfortunately reservations cannot be made for Round Pond until somewhere around February of next year for that season. So, I'm thinking it will be nice to be closer, and use North Dock. I've seen at least one Prevost there during a home-coming football game.

Ray

Ray Davis
03-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Wow, I'm surprised, almost no comments?

Let me ask this a different way.

If YOU had 6-8 weeks, to make a coast to coast trip AND back, where would drive? What places would you want to see?

I've basically driven none of the center of this country, and don't have a clue as to what I'd miss.

I could certainly plot a route up I40 to I80 and head towards NY, but that's just straight line shortest. Should I take a southern, central or northern route? What are the great places you've hit in your travels.

I've got a couple of tour books, however they are aimed at cars, and I'm not sure what places and routes would be bus friendly?

I know I'm WAY early on this. But, if I can't take the trip now, at least I can have the fun of planning it?

Thanks in advance,
Ray

dalej
03-29-2008, 10:01 PM
Ray if you take I-90 from the west to the east your trip will have lots of things to see. I 80 and I 70, your right in the heart of the grain belt. As you plan this trip we can see if you will have time to stop at the places you should to get the feel of the high plains.

Keep in touch and posting your plans.

BrianE
03-29-2008, 10:28 PM
Without knowing your interests, it would be pretty hard to make recommendations.

Beverly and I are enjoying hiking, fishing and visiting historical sights on our trip across I-10, I-20. There are many state parks and Civil War battle sights on this route. There are also numerous aviation related sights along the way.

If on the other hand if you are interested in culinary delights, especially taco stands and barbeque, JDUB is your man.

No doubt there are folks that can recommend golf courses, tennis resorts or high class tourist spots. I am blessed that Beverly is not a shopper but that might be a make it or break it for your bride.

So before you start whining about lack of input, how about some basic input concerning kind of stuff you guys like to do. :D

lewpopp
03-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Prior to arriving at the western end of New York State, somewhere in the key (of the Keystone State of Pa) you will find interstate 86 (old 17) and it will not only show you the most beautiful area of NY, but it will save you several Lewbucks. (no tolls).

You have the Corning Glass Center and the Fingerlakes region where there are some wonderful sights and wine along the way.

This is all on the way to the Hudson where I expect you have a destination.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-30-2008, 07:10 AM
We have always lived in rural settings so when we are traveling in the bus we gravitate towards the cities.

It's a shame Nagin has screwed things up so bad, but if you haven't spent time in New Orleans it is a great place to spend a few days. We have seen most of the plantations and heard the history of them, eaten great Cajun food and gone to Cajun cooking school, walked Bourbon Street, visited cemeteries, gone to the French Market and had mufalettas at the Central Grocery. NO is like another country and culture.

We have also spent time in St. Louis. It is just a nice city with lots to do and an RV park right in the city. That city has a nice botanical garden, the restored train station, and some great restaurants.

If you like country music spending time in Nashville should be on your agenda.

Washington is a must see city, so when you are getting ready to go to Mango Mikes allow a few days in Cherry Hill campground (which has transportation to and from the city right at the campground) so you can see the sites in our nation's capitol. You couldn't cover all there is to see in a week so you will not lack for things to do.

No travel around the country is complete without seeing NYC, Niagara Falls (Canadian side is best), or eating seafood in Maine while shopping at LL Bean.

Your problem Ray is going to be figuring out what to do from all the things you potentially could do.

We figure you can see Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse at the fall rally.

lloyd&pamela
03-30-2008, 08:11 AM
Ray we just picked up two great guides:

Road Trip USA: Cross-Country Adventures on America's Two Lane Highways by Jamie Jenson (http://www.amazon.com/Road-Trip-USA-Cross-Country-Adventures/dp/1566917662/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206878520&sr=1-1)

United States On the Road (http://www.amazon.com/Insight-Guide-United-States-Guides/dp/9812586768/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206879128&sr=1-1) (Insight Guides) by the Discovery Channel

1,000 Places to See in the U.S.A. & Canada Before You Die (Paperback)
by Patricia Schult (http://www.amazon.com/000-Places-U-S-Canada-Before/dp/0761136916/ref=pd_bbs_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206878657&sr=1-3)z

The first guide has a Road Trip # 9 called the Loneliest Road. Leaves San Francisco and ends in Annapolis. The guide highlights all the interesting sights along the way. It is divided into north/ south routes and east/ west routes. There are 5 east/west routes.

The second one is nice because it takes you along the interstate routes and then shows were to detour for interesting sights and how to re-access the interstate. It seems to keep you on interstate through the boring parts and on other routes where there is something of interest.

The third book is by state and lists some very unique sights to see.

The titles are linked to Amazon.

Hope this helps. Have a great trip. Lloyd

lloyd&pamela
03-30-2008, 08:30 AM
Ray if you go to Niagara Falls (Canadian side) drive alone the Niagara parkway to Niagara-On-The-Lake. It is a wonderful small town. The parkway includes the botanical gardens, butterfly conservatory. This is ice wine country. Innaskillen (sp) winery and many others are located here. One of our favorites towns anywhere.

JIM CHALOUPKA
03-30-2008, 11:38 AM
Ray if you go to Niagara Falls (Canadian side) drive alone the Niagara parkway to Niagara-On-The-Lake. It is a wonderful small town. The parkway includes the botanical gardens, butterfly conservatory. This is ice wine country. Innaskillen (sp) winery and many others are located here. One of our favorites towns anywhere.

Ray, if you don't already have them, get your pass ports (now required even for Canada). If you go there leave your guns at home!!!!!!!!!
Pass ports take more time to get now!

You might want to travel old route 66 up to Chicago and then in a North South zigzag towards W P from there.

JIM CHALOUPKA
03-30-2008, 03:05 PM
Ray, where will the graduation event be in the time frame? That is, beginning, middle, or end of the trip?

Do you want to be on the road more in April/May, or May/June?

rmboies
03-30-2008, 05:11 PM
Wow, I'm surprised, almost no comments?

I know I'm WAY early on this. But, if I can't take the trip now, at least I can have the fun of planning it?
Thanks in advance,
Ray

Ray, I've been told that this is a pretty nice place to stay for a layover or even a weekend www.castleridgefarm.com :D

If you travel the southern route, I would definitely make a stop in New Orleans. Part of the city is back together and it is very unique as Jon said. There are many parks, civil war battlegrounds, etc. all through the south. Charleston, Savannah, the outer banks of NC, all great places to see. Just watch out for the fried green tomatoes, they can be addictive, and if you like to drink iced tea make certain you ask for unsweet unless you like alot of sugar!

Debi

QueenOfTheRoad
03-30-2008, 06:21 PM
Lucky, lucky you! We're itchin' to get back on the road (and we've only been home two weeks!).

Here were some of our favorites from our trip that might fit into your plans (and please forgive me, I have no sense of direction, so when you say "middle of the country" I take your meaning rather broadly): In addition to the Finger Lakes and SD, already mentioned, I'd add northern MN, especially around Itasca State Park and Walker Lake; the outer banks of NC; Savannah, GA; Sante Fe, NM; Roswell, NM/Carlsbad Caverns (Roswell only if you can make it for the annual UFO Festival, around the first week of July - but then again, we're shrinks so the prospect of seeing weirdness recreationally without the expectation we do anything about it was appealing); Charlestown, SC; Austin, TX; Las Vegas, NV (we got our vows renewed on our bus - with Elvis officiating - loved the Oasis RV park and had a blast in Vegas).

If you need any specifics (RV parks, restaurants, sights) about any of the aforementioned, give a holler!

Jim_Scoggins
03-31-2008, 06:25 AM
I really enjoyed the Hoover and Truman presidential sites.

Ray Davis
03-31-2008, 05:44 PM
Thanks for all the replies everyone. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Jon, unfortunately, we won't make the SD rally. Kathy and I really wanted to, but the West Point ring weekend (when seniors get their rings, big important weekend), has been moved from it's normal August timeframe to mid September, right in the middle of the SD rally. Completely bashed our plans to come to SD.

Jim, thanks for the note regarding passports. I recently renewed, and Kathy (and son) got theirs earlier this year. I hadn't really thought about bringing them, but we might hit parts of Canada.

Lloyd, I've never been to Niagra Falls, and that certainly will be on my list. Any suggestions for nice RV park in the area?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Any more, keep 'em coming. Right now I have a new strain of MPD. (Mad Planning Disease!)

Ray

QueenOfTheRoad
03-31-2008, 05:53 PM
In the Finger Lakes, if you enter the neutral zone in the town of Romulus (between Cayuga and Seneca Lakes), please ask some of the natives if they call themselves Romulans. I did (as Tim tried to pretend he didn’t know me) and it was as if I were the alien.

I lived for several years in the Finger Lakes region as a kid, then as a young adult - it's one of my favorite parts of the country - in the summer.

On the US side of the Niagra Falls, don't park at the park - it's $10 for your car! We found side street parking for free.

We didn't stay at an RV park there, just the nearby Wal-Mart, as we were only overnighting. Check out a Wegmans grocery store - they are dotted along the East Coast. I've never seen anything like it. There's one in Ithaca and the Cornell Campus, including the bell tower, are worth a visit. "Ithaca is Gorges" as the bumper stickers say!

lewpopp
03-31-2008, 10:26 PM
Queenie,

Where did you grow up in the Finger Lakes area? That's where I hang out.

Haven't seen any Romulans in a long time.

QueenOfTheRoad
03-31-2008, 10:37 PM
Elmira, indeed!
We're practically cousins!

When very young a year in Buffalo and then a year in Oswego. For college, Ithaca. I SO love that area.

Put on your Spock ears, then maybe you'll see the Romulans.