PDA

View Full Version : Generator Exahust

dalej
03-27-2008, 09:05 PM
On our coach, the generator exhaust come out through the door in the D2 bay (driver side second bay). If you have the windows open and are running the generator you can and most of the time get diesel exhaust coming in the windows.

Question...when I redo the insulation in this bay, I was thinking of relocating the exhaust down out the bay and head to the back of the bus. Do you guys have any thoughts on this? good or bad.

If this is a go, then I will need a place to get all the items necessary i.e. flex tube, exhaust wrap and fittings. Is the place that is a sponsor Zimmerman Coach, I think, the place to get all those kind of items?

BrianE
03-27-2008, 10:18 PM
Dale, Liberty runs their gen exhaust to the back. It seems to work very well. On our bus there are two mufflers. There will be plenty of examples at SV including some polished stainless ones also, right Roger?

dale farley
03-27-2008, 10:42 PM
Dale, My generator is in the second bay, and the exhaust comes out all the way in the rear of the bus.

garyde
03-27-2008, 11:48 PM
Hi Dale. Liberty groups all exhausts(webasto,gen., & engine) @ back Port side . but I have seen Coaches with a verticle exhaust at the top of the Bus. Thats a lot of trouble . I have seen portable verticle exh. extensions @ RV shows.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
03-28-2008, 12:37 AM
Dale, my American also exhausts both the Genset, and AquaHot out the back of the bus.

And they are also both Stainless tipped exhaust pipes, Wippppeeee. :D

Gary S.

dreamchasers
03-28-2008, 08:09 AM
Dale,

My coach is typical of coaches of my vintage with the generator and Wabasto exhausting at the rear of the coach. Mine has a long exhaust pipe running from the generator bay to the rear of the coach, attached to the underside of the coach to a piece of box tubing (2"X6") installed by the converter to protect the exhaust pipe. When I went to Prevost Fort Worth in November of last year for work, the techs needed to loosen the bolts on the brackets for the long exhaust pipe for access. When they reattached the pipe with an impact wrench, the isolating rubber grommets were smashed flat. Since then, I can hear a 'vibration humm' inside the coach when running the gen set. I will replace the rubber grommets and re tighten to allow for isolation.

When designing your upgrade, considered using exhaust pipe hangers to isolate the exhaust pipe from the coach to reduce noise.

Hector

03-28-2008, 08:18 AM
On our coach, the generator exhaust come out through the door in the D2 bay (driver side second bay). If you have the windows open and are running the generator you can and most of the time get diesel exhaust coming in the windows.

Question...when I redo the insulation in this bay, I was thinking of relocating the exhaust down out the bay and head to the back of the bus. Do you guys have any thoughts on this? good or bad.

If this is a go, then I will need a place to get all the items necessary i.e. flex tube, exhaust wrap and fittings. Is the place that is a sponsor Zimmerman Coach, I think, the place to get all those kind of items?
Hi Dale,

My Marathon (99) has its Genset exhaust coming out of the top D/S rear in a stainless curved exhaust. The piping appears to be steel pipe sections welded together, running underneath the coach at an angle all the way back. This was a factory install. The only downside in my opinion here is when you run the genset for long periods there is some exhaust residue that mixes with the dirt and runs down the back and side of the coach. I wash it off when I stop at truck stops. This does solve the problem with exhaust in the coach. My Wabasto comes out the back as well, but it is close to the main exhaust.

dalej
03-28-2008, 08:55 AM
Thanks Guys for the responses. This is one of the things to see in Tennessee

dalej
03-28-2008, 09:33 AM
I just can't quite see in my mind how they run it through the drive axle area.

hhoppe
03-28-2008, 11:36 AM
Dale: If you find the source for the rippled flexible SS tubing we saw at POG3 pass it on. I know they can anneal SS to a dead soft temper for bending. I'll help look for the source. Joe, did you find one in Chicago? My Liberty has the Gen. & Webasto exhaust out the back. After experiancing some of Liberties other plumbing expertise, I'm afraid to look under to see how they did it.
My water pump quit again. If anyone has a reasonable source please let me know.

rfoster
03-28-2008, 11:44 AM
Dale: Photo of the premo exhaust system from the Blingmobile:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/parkwayautoofbristol/CIMG0774.jpg

comes out right behind the tag on drivers side.

03-28-2008, 03:28 PM
Dale: Photo of the premo exhaust system from the Blingmobile:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/parkwayautoofbristol/CIMG0774.jpg

comes out right behind the tag on drivers side.
I think this install is reallly slick looking, well done.

What I would be concerned about, are those nights when you are dry camping in the fall somewhere and have your windows open in the bedroom while you sleep. The genset comes on to charge up the house batteries and your back in the same situation, exhaust coming back into your room.

I think the exhaust should either come out at the rear or on top of the coach, its my opinion, but I have had negative experiences with exhaust fumes in the past and want to avoid them at all cost.

MangoMike
03-28-2008, 07:07 PM
The drivers side of the Liberty in the rear, the windows don't open in the bedroom. This seems like a perfect place for the genset exhaust.

Mike

Jon Wehrenberg
03-28-2008, 07:24 PM
Depends on the floor plan. On Roger's coach the false windows are on the passenger side. Ours are on the driver's side.

MangoMike
03-28-2008, 09:18 PM
Fast Roger, Better switch those pipes.

rfoster
03-28-2008, 09:42 PM
Fast Roger, Better switch those pipes.

Nope, I like them that way. Generator fumes etc have not been a problem. As you know the auto start on the Liberty can be toggled on or off as needed. I never leave the auto start on when I am in the coach, as I am able to monitor when the Gen is needed. I set the autostart only when I am going to be absent from the coach all day and into the evening. I also have the carbon monoxide detector (brand new) positioned near that window opening. Additonal issues are when dry camping and using the Gen for AC or even using the webasto running on batteries, the windows are closed. My wife is afraid of the boogie man.

Now having said that I like them that way- I recently had an occasion to very closely examine a Millenium that is exhausted thru the roof and I like that concept. Now that is not practical to do on my exisiting coach, but would be viewed very favorably when considering a future purchase.
So there.

Joe Cannarozzi
03-29-2008, 06:09 AM
Rodger ours goes through the roof. Where it goes through the ceiling of the engine bay it begins double walled just like a residential fireplace chimney is. It continues that way all the way up to the roof. Inside the closet it is wrapped in heat tape and then boxed in with 3/4 plywood with 4in by 4in dimensions. Terminating it there makes it much quieter too.

Dale I will look how ours goes past the rear axles.

Harry that source for the corrugated stainless exhaust is:

Geib Corp.
Franklin Park, Il.
847 455 4550

Top is the new corrugated, bottom old spiral.
I gave them the correct dimensions for the flanges and they welded the correct collars on the ends for me.

Mr Source Locator Chalupka initially steered me to this web site that I was able to get the stuff locally http://www.penflex.com/ Maybe you will find it locally too.

I found it to be way more flexible than the old stuff.

03-29-2008, 08:53 AM
Rodger ours goes through the roof. Where it goes through the ceiling of the engine bay it begins double walled just like a residential fireplace chimney is. It continues that way all the way up to the roof. Inside the closet it is wrapped in heat tape and then boxed in with 3/4 plywood with 4in by 4in dimensions. Terminating it there makes it much quieter too.

Dale I will look how ours goes past the rear axles.

Harry that source for the corrugated stainless exhaust is:

Geib Corp.
Franklin Park, Il.
847 455 4550

Top is the new corrugated, bottom old spiral.
I gave them the correct dimensions for the flanges and they welded the correct collars on the ends for me.

Mr Source Locator Chalupka initially steered me to this web site that I was able to get the stuff locally http://www.penflex.com/ Maybe you will find it locally too.

I found it to be way more flexible than the old stuff.
Like I said earlier, the roof idea maybe the safest, but if you guys like a clean coach, there is a trade off if you use the genset when camping, especially after you have run down a dirty road for any distance. On my trip back from Coburg to Florida I did use my genset and ran through some nasty Wx. I found myself working the back D/S roof corners where the diesel juice ran down the back, not very pretty.

Kevin Erion
03-29-2008, 09:53 AM
My old Marathon #545 had the Gen exhaust out the roof about 1/2 way back on the driver side. I never had any exhaust fall out that I was aware of and it was perfect. My XLII #704 has it out the rear, to early to know the down side but out the roof was perfect in my opinion.

Ray Davis
03-29-2008, 12:23 PM
My '02 has it out the roof, which I'm hoping is the best solution. I made the mistake once of driving onto a dirt parking lot with the generator running in my old coach!

Kathy, who was driving the car behind, said the dust came up so bad that you couldn't even see the bus! Needless to say, I had to wash it for hours to get it clean!

ray

Joe Cannarozzi
03-29-2008, 02:32 PM
Dale the exhaust goes up and over the rear-ends. It hugs and is attached to the frame, up, across the top and then back down the backside with the muffler mounted right next to the bus muffler.

I'll betcha with all the bends it is probably 30 ft, maybe more, from the gen to the tip on the roof.

rickdesilva
03-29-2008, 03:29 PM
Joe
is that your foot in the 2nd picture on the bottom right?

dalej
03-29-2008, 03:57 PM
Thanks Joe for all your trouble.

Rick, don't make fun of Joe's feet, he will run you down! :)

VegasDogMan
03-29-2008, 07:46 PM
We travel and show our dogs and at dog shows we're usually parked quite tight with other coaches.

Wit dogs outside in exercize pens it's imperative - usuall dog show rv parking rules - that when running generator it must be exhausted over the roof.

I had to make an adaptor for the Liberty to send Generator exhaust over roof.

03-30-2008, 01:44 PM
We travel and show our dogs and at dog shows we're usually parked quite tight with other coaches.

Wit dogs outside in exercize pens it's imperative - usuall dog show rv parking rules - that when running generator it must be exhausted over the roof.

I had to make an adaptor for the Liberty to send Generator exhaust over roof.
Hello Lee,

Are you familiar with Add-Sim Kennel, Homestead (Miami) Fl. We have a miniature red smooth from Cliff Simones. Cliff breads both Mini's and standard, including long hairs. Good kennel, nice people.