PDA

View Full Version : First Time Prevost Owner - Questions....

Tully
03-26-2008, 10:01 PM
Hello. My name is Tully. I bought my first RV/Coach last summer. It was a American Eagle 39 Foot 1995. Got my feet wet. Was very nice and well built. My first choice was a Prevost- but out of $ range.

Came by a 1990 Prevost- Country Coach for sale. Spoke with the owner numerous times on the phone, email & photos- ect...

Three owners with him being the 3rd owner and has owned for 10 years.

He just had a stroke last year and decided to put up for sale. Had a new 20k Kohler generator put in just a couple years back. Converted A/C from R12 to R34- entire system at a cost of $13,000. Had spent $40,000 to update interior - new leather recovered on all furniture, dash. Burl wood dash plates, marble flooring ....

Coach has 224,000 miles on it. Service records back to day one including every single service receipt all in binder. He was very pro-active on maint. items.

Well here goes- He had listed on philcooper.com. for $119,500. I was able to get coach for $105,000 and have him deliver it from Ariziona to Illinois. I will take delivery of the coach on 4/15/08.

Always loved Prevost look. Loved the idea of a tag wheel. The weight. The quality.

Not certain how to link- if you go to philcooper.com you will see it listed- $119,500.

I am very new to this and would appreciate any thoughts or insights. Was Country Coach a good converter? I know that make a decent fiber/plastic coach.

This has brand new Mich. tires and house/coach batteries.

Will post more in the next day or two. Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

Looking forward to comments.

Tully

dale farley
03-26-2008, 10:19 PM
Tully, Welcome to the Prevost world. Hope you can come to the rally in Sevierrville, TN in three weeks. You will learn a great deal about your coach, and we'll get to meet you and see your new coach.

I had a 93 Marathon and now I have Country Coach. I liked some things better on the Marathon and some better on the Country Coach. Overall, I am very happy with my CC, and I think the other CC owners on this forum feel the same way.

I looked at the pictures, and yours looks like a very nice coach that has been well maintained. Maintenance is much more important than who converted the coach. Welcome aboard.

rfoster
03-26-2008, 10:20 PM
Tully: Welcome to the nut and bolt house as some may call us. We are certainly glad to have you on board. From what I see from the photos - the coach looks like a great buy. The cleanliness and condition of everything in the photos looks great. It appears that the p.m. and regular maintenance, along with some soap, water, and wax have been applied on a regular basis.

Congratulations on the new coach. There is nothing in the world like a Prevost Motorhome! The Country Coach is a popular brand in the Prevost Owners Group as you will soon see.

Fire away with your questions as we have a couple of very capable guys and a bunch who can make up answers to your questions. Sometimes we even lie.

We are having a Rally (a get together with food and stuff) in and around Dollywood in April. You should try to be there. I think there is 40 plus buses going to show up for fun and information exchanging.

Tully
03-26-2008, 10:32 PM
I live in Illinois. 30 minutes South of Chicago. However, I built a retirement home in Tennesee two years ago. Bought 11 acres of land and decided to build. Have another 20 years before retirement but thought- what the heck.

Anyhow, the house is 40 minutes East of Nashville in Carthage/Gordonsville.

I have never been to a Rally before but sounds like it would be a great time.

Is there a schedule for time and dates for the Tennesee get togethers?

Have so many questions and will be posting often.

Tully

dale farley
03-26-2008, 10:37 PM
Tully, This link will get you to the agenda for the TN rally. http://www.prevost-stuff.com/prevost_owners_group_rally_V.htm There are currently about 50 Prevost's scheduled to be there.

tdelorme
03-26-2008, 11:10 PM
Welcome to the forum, Tully. You will soon find out that the hundred bucks to join is the best investment you could have made as far as your Prevost goes.
Come to the Tenn rally if at all possible. You will get up to speed much faster with hands on help.

garyde
03-26-2008, 11:25 PM
Welcome Tully, I always enjoy it when 1st timers post. Its great to have you. I would verify other rubber componants are as new as your tires , like the air bags, belts, etc. I know very little about the older Prevosts but you have purchased a million mile Bus at a reasonable price. Congradulations.

Tully
03-26-2008, 11:25 PM
Good information cannot be valued by the dollar. $100.00 is $100.00. Now getting the right information from a "target group" such as this will be priceless.

My first and only rig was a 29,000 pound American Coach- 39 footer.

Was very nice but had plety of flex and rattles that drove the wife nuts.

She says she hopes this Prevost will be a little better with road manners.
I told her the tag set up and six extra tons should be of help. I hope I am correct?

Is there much of a learning curve on the driving of the 40foot tag of over the 39 foot single ax.?

I would guess tracking straight would be better and cross winds and trucks blowing by less noticed?

Tully

dale farley
03-26-2008, 11:35 PM
Tully, I had a 1999 40' American Dream, and although it was very nice with 2 slides, it didn't compare to any of the Prevosts. If yours is as well-maintained as it looks, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Alek&Lucia
03-27-2008, 12:09 AM
Tully,

Welcome to the POG !
We are also in ILLINOIS. 2 HR SW of Chicago. Perhaps we will make
small mini-mini-mini Prevost rally in ILLINOIS this summer ?

Alek

Ray Davis
03-27-2008, 01:36 AM
Is there much of a learning curve on the driving of the 40foot tag of over the 39 foot single ax.?

I think the big thing you'll find in driving differences is that your wheel base if probably much further apart with the bus, than with the motorhome. RV's tend to have rear wheels forward quite a bit, with a large overswing in the rear.

Buses have the wheels well towards the rear, so there is less overswing to worry about, however you have to swing wide to not clip your sides. Drive using the mirrors, and try to watch that your rear wheels are close to clearing the curb before making a right-hand turn, and you'll be ok. Generally stay on the high side of a turn.

Otherwise, you'll find that there is no comparison in the ride between your bus, and an RV. It will be a VERY pleasant change.

Ray

Joe Cannarozzi
03-27-2008, 04:45 AM
Tully

We too live South of Chicago and also have family in Smithville Tn.

Bought 25 acre in Spencer Tn. but after Deb got cold feet cause it was too far out from relitives we sold it and are looking again. The taxes on it were 73 bucks a year!

Sounds like you got a great bus for a great price.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-27-2008, 06:44 AM
Congratulations Tully.

To help put this in perspective you bought a coach that will outlive you if you continue the maintenance and it will provide you with a lot of smiles per mile.

As an older coach there are many things that "age" out so as you become familiar with the coach and its previous history you may find things you want to replace as a preventive measure. Learn the coach, understand its systems, and when you want to step ahead of the maintenance curve (if that is even necessary) there are a bunch of folks here that will offer help and advice.

mcirco
03-28-2008, 12:39 AM
Hi Tully

Now the fun begins. I have been a Country Coach Prevost owner for less than a year now. Before that I had a Country Coach Magna. I normally attend the Country Coach Rallies and have a number of contacts at Country Coach that have always taken good care of me. Feel free to contact me at any time if I can be of any help to hook you up with the right people there. But you will be amazed by the knowledge and experience of the members here and the willingness of this group to always help you. After attending my first POG rally in Branson last year, I can't imagine owning a bus without having the support of everyone in this group. These are complex machines and the more I learn about them the more I realize what I don't know.
Get ready for a great ride.

Miles & Laura Circo
2004 Country Coach Prevost XLII 45' D/S