PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Fuel Price

JIM KELLER
03-26-2008, 10:37 AM
Our wholesale cost of Diesel has gone down 28.4 cents per gallon since March 17th. This drop in price should be reflected on the street in the near future.

dalej
03-26-2008, 11:01 AM
That sure is good news!

When we first started running our bus in 1998, we always stopped in Oklahoma City where fuel was 87.9 at the low. I'm starting to sound like my mom, " Why I can remember when...."

rickdesilva
03-26-2008, 11:39 AM
Traveling to Key West last week...$4.25 a gallon...ouch... at Key Largo

tdelorme
03-26-2008, 11:59 AM
Our wholesale cost of Diesel has gone down 28.4 cents per gallon since March 17th. This drop in price should be reflected on the street in the near future.

I am in Port Arthur, Tx. this morning and was going to fill up at $3.83 before heading home. Now I think I'll just get a spalsh and see what happens in the next week or so.
Oh the heck with it, if I'm going to the trouble of waiting for a shot at the pump, I'm filling up. But, that is good news for a change.

truk4u
03-26-2008, 09:06 PM
Latest Georgia Prices.....

Petervs
03-26-2008, 09:37 PM
Tom, I noticed there was no price for diesel on your sign....

I remember when...... we bought our bus, and drove it home and filled it up the very first time. It was $1.13 and the date was 9-13-2001. Easy to remember the date .

Oh, and this brings up another of my pet peeves. At the prices they are charging these days, you would think they could knock off the stupid .9 on the prices. Maybe it made a difference when gas was 11 cents a gallon, but really now, they are no longer fooling anybody. The first company that changes this gets my business in the future, even if they do round it up!

garyde
03-27-2008, 12:31 AM
I saw where Truckers were protesting the price of Diesel. Its gotten to the point where they're making no $$ but simply supporting the Oil Industry. It seems to me prices would fall if we had a few more refinaries in this country.

gmcbuffalo
03-27-2008, 02:57 AM
I hear that the truckers are going to have a shutdown to protest. That will wake someone up.
GregM

Joe Cannarozzi
03-27-2008, 04:47 AM
Never happen

Jon Wehrenberg
03-27-2008, 06:50 AM
We could cure this problem in a NY minute if everybody would reduce their fuel usage by just 10%.

In my bus log book I have many fuel purchases at less than $.90. But even with diesel at $4.00 my entire year's cost of fuel is still less than the depreciation or the lost earnings on the invested capital. By far. Not even close.

truk4u
03-27-2008, 07:03 AM
I don't know Joe, remember what happened in the early 70's. We had a nasty shut down supported by people shooting at trucks who didn't honor the shut down. I sat in Detroit for 4 days with a load of steel along with a truckstop full of others in support of the shut down and it got pretty heated at times.

The problem then as it will be now, some would participate and many would not. We're hearing the word "slow down", but that will only make things worse for the guys trying to keep their trucks and not surrender to the re-po dude.

Out of 118 companies we do business with, since the beginning of Jan 08, we have lost 13 small companies. These were the small guys, 2 - 10 trucks who just couldn't handle the downturn in business and price gouging fuel cost. Our fuel surcharge paid to the carriers today is .44 per mile. Even with the pass through of fuel surcharges, they couldn't stay in business. The guy with equipment paid for, still has a chance, but anyone highly leveraged is toast.

For those not familiar, the DOE publishes a National Fuel Cost each Tuesday. The shippers then pays a fuel surcharge to the carriers. This surcharge changes almost every week. Surcharges started back in the 90's and most scales started at around 1.08 per gallon. So anything over the 1.08 per gallon is paid via the national average by a sliding scale. The problem with the surcharge, it is not enough to compensate the carrier and many shippers don't pay anything. You ask, why would anyone haul for a shipper that won't pay a surcharge! Desperation is the answer, someone will always take the load.

The transportation business is in turmoil at present. Business in general is in the toilet. Fuel, maintenance, taxes, equipment cost and driver benefits are through the roof.

Transportation is the heart beat of America and as transportation goes, so goes the economy.

Except for Jdub, he's in the oil snuffing business!:p

merle&louise
03-27-2008, 09:07 AM
We were planning a trip this summer to Yosemite and then onto Northern California and eventually on to Seattle. In an effort to reduce the fuel cost, Karen and I were going to fly home from Seattle and a good friend of mine and his wife were going to fly up to Seattle and then drive the coach home. That way both families get a beautiful vacation, and we reduce the fuel costs by 50%.

But if the cost of diesel continues to rise, I'm not sure if we won't just call the whole thing off. We'll wait and see what the prices are in June and then decide. Maybe it would be better to take 2 short trips - stay in CG longer as opposed to a long trip.:confused:

tdelorme
03-27-2008, 10:01 AM
But if the cost of diesel continues to rise, I'm not sure if we won't just call the whole thing off. We'll wait and see what the prices are in June and then decide. Maybe it would be better to take 2 short trips - stay in CG longer as opposed to a long trip.:confused:[/QUOTE]

Come on Tuga, man up and get out there and burn some diesel. Read Jon's post on the price of fuel and it might make you feel better about $4 diesel. It didn't help me a bit, but I'm a cheapskate and won't ever be happy about fuel cost again. Still, I just refuse to let the cost of diesel dictate where we go. So maybe the kids won't have as much to split up when that time comes, too bad. That is funny come to think of it, its my kids that should be bitching about the price of diesel.:)

Orren Zook
03-27-2008, 02:08 PM
The fuel surcharge on dry freight here is ranging from 26 to 29 percent of the freight charge after your discount,

03-27-2008, 03:34 PM
I don't know Joe, remember what happened in the early 70's. We had a nasty shut down supported by people shooting at trucks who didn't honor the shut down. I sat in Detroit for 4 days with a load of steel along with a truckstop full of others in support of the shut down and it got pretty heated at times.

The problem then as it will be now, some would participate and many would not. We're hearing the word "slow down", but that will only make things worse for the guys trying to keep their trucks and not surrender to the re-po dude.

Out of 118 companies we do business with, since the beginning of Jan 08, we have lost 13 small companies. These were the small guys, 2 - 10 trucks who just couldn't handle the downturn in business and price gouging fuel cost. Our fuel surcharge paid to the carriers today is .44 per mile. Even with the pass through of fuel surcharges, they couldn't stay in business. The guy with equipment paid for, still has a chance, but anyone highly leveraged is toast.

For those not familiar, the DOE publishes a National Fuel Cost each Tuesday. The shippers then pays a fuel surcharge to the carriers. This surcharge changes almost every week. Surcharges started back in the 90's and most scales started at around 1.08 per gallon. So anything over the 1.08 per gallon is paid via the national average by a sliding scale. The problem with the surcharge, it is not enough to compensate the carrier and many shippers don't pay anything. You ask, why would anyone haul for a shipper that won't pay a surcharge! Desperation is the answer, someone will always take the load.

The transportation business is in turmoil at present. Business in general is in the toilet. Fuel, maintenance, taxes, equipment cost and driver benefits are through the roof.

Transportation is the heart beat of America and as transportation goes, so goes the economy.

Except for Jdub, he's in the oil snuffing business!:p
Hello Tom,

I just came across from Coburg Or. to San antonio Fl last week and was listening to the CB along the way. many of the truckers were talking about a state by state shutdown, in other words the discussion was focussed on finding a way to avoid certain states, go around them and still service other regions of the country and send a message while still working. They were discussing starting with the states that were the most punitive to truckers. have you heard of this approach??

I was amazed at the condition of most roads along the route, where is the tax dollars from all this fuel going, because it is not in the infrastructure. I saw so many trucks with bumpers falling off one end or the other, rattled off by these crummy roads.

As far as the cost of fuel and the consideration of holding back on taking a trip this spring or summer, I look at it this way, if you spend an extra .50 or even a $1.00 per Gallon this summer over prices 6 months ago and travel 5,000 miles averaging 6 or 7 mpg then you might spend as much as an extra $800 to go on your trip, not a large portion of the overall cost of ownership and frankly it is more psychological than financial for me.

Bruce

hhoppe
03-28-2008, 10:45 AM
FUEL: Everyone wants to blame the oil companies profits for the problem. The real problem lies in the US Congress not allowing the oil companies to spend those profits drilling new wells in the U.S. The longer we wait the more severe our problem becomes. There are massive amounts of oil reserves off the coast of Alaska, enough to put the Saudis ( not our friends ) out of the oil business forever. Other energy answers are in the offing as soon as the regulatons are re-written to allow their implementation. The oil companies would be very willing to spend their profits drilling here at home rather than paying foreign countries blackmail for their raw products. The answer is, truckers, rail roads and the rest of us make up our mind we have had enough and scream at congress to get it done, all that's left is to complain until our total country is shut down and or belongs totally to forieners. Quit whining and look past your noses for real answers. The clocks are ticking.

rfoster
03-28-2008, 01:11 PM
Harry for King! Presidents don't have enough authority to fix this mess. Sounds like you are right and not The Rev Wright!

Joe Cannarozzi
03-28-2008, 01:39 PM
Dittos

I think I saw somewhere that there is 6 or 8% profit margins for big oil for all their efforts.

Then you have the tax man getting about a third of the cost of a gallon for doing absolutely nothing.

Also saw where, thanks to bad policy, we are now actually importing along with crude, refined product, because we do not have the capability to store enough of it or the capability to refine enough of it ourselves.

I am one little one truck operator and I do not get the luxury of a fuel surcharge at the local gravel pit. An average week is usually a couple of hundred miles a day. Last month I spent 3300 bucks for fuel.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-28-2008, 06:53 PM
I would hate to see this forum get into political arguments, but this debate needs to be more about the value of the dollar rather than the price of oil.

If the dollar was stronger oil would cost less dollars. Right now its value sucks and only domestic manufacturers that ship goods globally are benefitting due to the weaker dollar.

truk4u
03-28-2008, 09:19 PM
Your exactly right Harry, but the tree huggers and bleeding hearts seem to get the most attention! I have e-mailed my representatives about drilling in AK and off the coast of the US and it's a waste of time. None of the fat cats in Congress give a rats ass and most of the US will continue to just complain while watching our weakened dollars head to the middle east. No problem, we'll just borrow more money from China!:mad:

OK, I'm done..... Breathing a little slower now...... Relaxing........ Taking deep breaths...........:o

meandmyprs
03-28-2008, 10:13 PM
One of the millions of emails I get but I thought this was kind of interesting..thought I would share..not sure if Diesel is included in all of this...

WHERE TO BUY YOUR USA-GAS, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW. READ ON--

Gas rationing in the 80's worked even though we grumbled about it.
It might even be good for us!

The Saudis are boycotting American goods.

We should return the favor.

An interesting thought is to boycott their GAS.
Every time you fill up the car, you can avoid putting more money into the coffers of Saudi Arabia Just buy from gas companies that don't import their oil from the Saudis.

Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill-up the tank, I am sending my money to people who are trying to kill me, my family, and my friends.

I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil companies are the best to buy gas from and which major companies import Middle Eastern oil.

These companies import Middle Eastern oil:

Shell.......................... &n bsp; 205,742,000 barrels
Chevron/Texaco.........144,332,000 barrels
Exxon /Mobil..............130,082,000 barrels
Marathon/Speedway..117,740,000 barrels
Amoco..........................62,231,000 barrels

Citgo Gas comes from South America , from a Dictator who hates Americans.

Do the math at $30/barrel, these imports amount to over $18 BILLION! (Oil is now $100 -$104 a barrel)

Here are some large companies that
DO NOT import Middle Eastern oil:

Sunoco ................ 0 barrels
Conoco................ 0 barrels
Sinclair................ 0 barrels
BP/Phillips.......... 0 barrels
Hess.................... 0 barrels
ARC0.................. 0 barrels

Also: Pilot, Flying J, Love's, RaceTrac, Valero

All of this information is available from the Department of Energy
and each is required to state where they get their oil and how much
they are importing.

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
03-28-2008, 10:30 PM
My brother-in-law is a master ship pilot with HESS in St. Lucia. He brings in the super tankers of oil there in St. Lucia and then the small tankers come in and load the oil and take it to St. Croix. It is there where the oil is refined. He just told us a few months ago that HESS had lost their contract with Saudi Arabia, because...... Hess was also buying from Venezuala. I think though this has just been resolved and HESS is back buying some from Saudi. I will find out tomorrow for sure when I speak to my brother-in-law in St. Lucia. Sandy

Ray Davis
03-28-2008, 10:33 PM
Very interesting info.

So, for the companies at the end of the list, including most of the truck stops I frequent, where do they get their oil? US oil?

Ray

garyde
03-28-2008, 10:57 PM
Some 35 years ago, my Grandfather hitched up his favorite Mare to his Buggy an took a trip into town in McCall, Idaho. He had a sign painted and attached to his Buggy 'My horse and I may be has-beens, but we got plenty of gas!
He was 83 at the time and Ginger (his Arabian Mare) was 27. It was picked up by the National news at the time.
Another old saying; 'everyone complains about the rain but nobody does anything about it'
Funny how this gas stuff brings up old memories.

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
03-28-2008, 11:16 PM
Type in GasBuddy.com and this will show all states their prices for gas and diesel. It also gives you cheapest to highest. Just check the day often because they can change at anytime as we well know.
Sandy:)

flyu2there
03-29-2008, 08:50 AM
I really believe what we are seeing with fuel prices, all of them, is nothing more than oil prices catching up.

Take yourself back say, to 1968, fourty years ago. Gallon of regular in California was 35.9, Ethyl was 39.9, and Custom Supreme for your GTO was 41.9. That new GTO, loaded with all of the whistles and bells, sold for under 3000.00 and it probably made 8-10 mpg on a real good day. That speeding ticket you got in the GTO on the way to the market cost you 25.00 and you were only going for bread and milk....the bread was .29/loaf and that quart of milk was .25. The drive home you stopped and took a quick look at a new housing development, three bedrooms, two baths in Silicon Valley, then know as San Jose, a whopping 19,900, although that little starter home at 16,900 would do! With you BA, you would be able to get a decent job that paid around 7.00/hr, someone that made 10 grand a year was doing well.

Today, everything on that list is up ten times, save housing which is up many more times than that. It's really all about inflation.

Oil kind of missed the boat, a laggard until the oil crisis in 1973 kicked it up a few notches and began to, sort of, follow inflation, lagging until recently.........now it has caught up. A gallon of gas today cost's no more in real dollars than it did 40, or even 60 years ago.

I know its not much of a consolation but when compared to nearly everthing else, television sets excluded, oil prices are not out of line. The question of what's next still remains unanswered....demand, production, refining, China, India, weak dollar....that's way to political for me.

John

03-29-2008, 09:15 AM
I really believe what we are seeing with fuel prices, all of them, is nothing more than oil prices catching up.

Take yourself back say, to 1968, fourty years ago. Gallon of regular in California was 35.9, Ethyl was 39.9, and Custom Supreme for your GTO was 41.9. That new GTO, loaded with all of the whistles and bells, sold for under 3000.00 and it probably made 8-10 mpg on a real good day. That speeding ticket you got in the GTO on the way to the market cost you 25.00 and you were only going for bread and milk....the bread was .29/loaf and that quart of milk was .25. The drive home you stopped and took a quick look at a new housing development, three bedrooms, two baths in Silicon Valley, then know as San Jose, a whopping 19,900, although that little starter home at 16,900 would do! With you BA, you would be able to get a decent job that paid around 7.00/hr, someone that made 10 grand a year was doing well.

Today, everything on that list is up ten times, save housing which is up many more times than that. It's really all about inflation.

Oil kind of missed the boat, a laggard until the oil crisis in 1973 kicked it up a few notches and began to, sort of, follow inflation, lagging until recently.........now it has caught up. A gallon of gas today cost's no more in real dollars than it did 40, or even 60 years ago.

I know its not much of a consolation but when compared to nearly everthing else, television sets excluded, oil prices are not out of line. The question of what's next still remains unanswered....demand, production, refining, China, India, weak dollar....that's way to political for me.

John
Great analogy. Brings back some fine moments in my 442. Don'y forget the price of a six pack back then (???) when you took your date for a ride to lovers lane, no charge.

I was listening to Boone Pickens on the radio while driving on a recent trip. he was guest on CNBC. He said that we will think todays oil price per barrel will seem cheap a year from now, predicts $5 pg. prices.

It is true that the price of oil has lagged behind, and we should feel lucky that we dodged the bullet for all these years. The only problem is that when an economy already in trouble gets hit hard, and quickly by these prices and combine the cost of fuel with eggs and butter, housing and job losses you have a potential problem that will not subside any time quickly. None of our presidential choices have a clue what is going on or what will cure the problem.

Someone said in one of these blogs that we need to start drilling our own domestic oil reserves, I agree. We need to get rid of our foreign friends hold on our lives and start getting green, and I mean fast.

If we start today as a nation getting green it will take 20 plus years to get our sh.. together. We are so far behind our Western European friends who have been paying big money for fuel for years.

I fly large aerial photography missions in Europe and have been paying $10 a gal. in Europe in some regions since 2005, it just part of doing business over there.

This brings up another subject that you guys have discussed. Has anyone taken the time to really look at the propane high pressure injection fuel source for our coaches. can it be done effectively without destroying our Detroits?? 12mph would be a huge change in the wallet as long as it did not ruin the engine.

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
03-29-2008, 10:03 AM
:o
My brother-in-law is a master ship pilot with HESS in St. Lucia. He brings in the super tankers of oil there in St. Lucia and then the small tankers come in and load the oil and take it to St. Croix. It is there where the oil is refined. He just told us a few months ago that HESS had lost their contract with Saudi Arabia, because...... Hess was also buying from Venezuala. I think though this has just been resolved and HESS is back buying some from Saudi. I will find out tomorrow for sure when I speak to my brother-in-law in St. Lucia. Sandy

:o Let correct my above quote, please:) Hess has NOT bought from Saudi since 2000!! Hess now buys their oil from Brazil, Mexico, and Venezuela. Sorry for any confusion:(

Sandy

truk4u
03-30-2008, 09:27 AM
Bruce,

Now you've done it!:eek: Getting this bunch started again on propane and french fry oil from Mickey D's will take up 20 - 30 pages easily.:rolleyes:

flyu2there
03-30-2008, 09:48 AM
:eek:
The other day, on my way to Phoenix, I encountered a road block in Gila Bend where the DOT was inspecting trucks, busses, motorhomes and diesel cars for red diesel. I was waived thru because I was driving a car that doesn't rattle but.....Heads Up!

I suspect other states, aside from Arizona, are also looking for new forms of revenue and a red died fuel filter will get you busted.

John

03-30-2008, 10:04 AM
Bruce,

Now you've done it!:eek: Getting this bunch started again on propane and french fry oil from Mickey D's will take up 20 - 30 pages easily.:rolleyes:
I think it worth investigating the propane injection concept further, unless it has been exhausted and will not work in our coaches. at $5 gal in 1 year or less (my prediction) its worth the effort.

If there were some evidence that the system works and won't destroy our engines along with a clear rode map on how to install, safety issues etc. I would consider the install. Who wouldn't get a big kick out of getting 12+MPG and be able to go 3000 miles on a tank. I'd love this. Depending on the cost, it would be relatively easy to figure the return on investment along with the potential increase in value the coach would gain on resale (some might say it would decrease I guess) If the install was done with every consideration, tank placement, lines, injection system, cut offs, it would make a really cool rig.

Check out this link: http://www.dieselperformanceproducts.com/

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Fastest-Way-To-Destroy-Your-Diesel-Engine&id=269770

Jerry Winchester
03-30-2008, 10:07 AM
Didn't we just live thru the french fry oil and propane hell a few months back?

mcirco
03-30-2008, 10:11 AM
:eek:
The other day, on my way to Phoenix, I encountered a road block in Gila Bend where the DOT was inspecting trucks, busses, motorhomes and diesel cars for red diesel. I was waived thru because I was driving a car that doesn't rattle but.....Heads Up!

I suspect other states, aside from Arizona, are also looking for new forms of revenue and a red died fuel filter will get you busted.

John
I wish you didn't mention this. Lets hope our jokesters in Seviersille don't show up now with a gallon of Red Food Coloring.

Miles & Laura Circo
2004 Country Coach XL II 45' D/S

Kevin Erion
03-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Bruce, When I bought my 99 Marathon, The owner made his own propane injection system for the bus with a small 5 gallon tank in the engine bay. His reason was for increased power, I removed it first thing, just because I was afraid of it. If you would like, I can put you in touch with Steve, he loved it and felt it was safe, but remember, he did it for more power!

Jon Wehrenberg
03-30-2008, 12:38 PM
It sounds so easy, but......our engines are controlled by DDEC, and that is comparing a whole lot of parameters and is regulating the amount of fuel injected per piston stroke based on load, turbo boost, throttle position and other conditions.

Before I messed with my engine I would want to be certain it would not be an exercise in futility. Lest anybody think this can't be real complex, the diesel engine manufacturers now are just beginning to see the impact of the change of the sulfur content in our fuel and its affect on the lubricity of the fuel and in turn the impact of that on our engines. I don't think any of us except for the diesel engine engineers among us even know what we don't know.

I'm fairly certain any of us can boost our power or reduce our fuel costs by putting french fry oils in our tanks, but I am also certain we can convert our million mile engines into quarter mile engines.

03-30-2008, 01:15 PM
It sounds so easy, but......our engines are controlled by DDEC, and that is comparing a whole lot of parameters and is regulating the amount of fuel injected per piston stroke based on load, turbo boost, throttle position and other conditions.

Before I messed with my engine I would want to be certain it would not be an exercise in futility. Lest anybody think this can't be real complex, the diesel engine manufacturers now are just beginning to see the impact of the change of the sulfur content in our fuel and its affect on the lubricity of the fuel and in turn the impact of that on our engines. I don't think any of us except for the diesel engine engineers among us even know what we don't know.

I'm fairly certain any of us can boost our power or reduce our fuel costs by putting french fry oils in our tanks, but I am also certain we can convert our million mile engines into quarter mile engines.
Jon, is that a "NO" answer????

All I want to do is fill up in Maine and again in San Francisco. save a $1000 per 3000 miles and climb hills a little better.

One thing I did read about was the possible damage the extra torque might have on the transmission. I still have to believe one could regulate the temps and the boost in advance. Why not knock the HP rating back some out of the gate??? Jon, I know you can make this happen.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-30-2008, 03:01 PM
Bruce....You are kidding, right?

Fuel consumed is a function of HP produced. Period. Not subject to debate.

You can produce HP with french fry oil. Steal it from all the MacDonalds along your route. Of course vegetable oil has less BTU content per gallon than diesel fuel so you will burn more. Get yourself a tanker trailer with a pump and some good filters and you can undoubtedly go non stop cross country if you fill it with FOG (fats, oils , and grease) and supply your engine with it.

I am sure you can reprogram the DDEC for more HP, but after you do that let us know how you make out with the cooling system changes. As you produce more HP (and in turn burn more fuel) so you can go faster, you also generate more engine heat which must be dispersed to the air. That will require the new cooling system, at the very least a radiator, and possibly a change in the fan and circulating system. If you don't want to go to the trouble, don't worry. DDEC will protect your butt, because as the engine heat nears 215 DDEC will dial back the HP no matter how much your engine is capable of producing.

Your best bet is to only travel down wind, down a hill, and with an aerodynamic shape like the nose of a 767.

Yes the tranny has torque limitations, but so does the driveshaft and the U-joints. Don't worry about them until they break.

Oh, did I talk about the brakes?

flyu2there
03-30-2008, 05:28 PM
Jon,

Any consideration to Jet -A??? That's about .50/gallon cheaper than diesel, smells like a Boy Scout Cook Out and probably has all the whoomph that one would ever need. Just a thought...

John

03-30-2008, 05:43 PM
Jon,

Any consideration to Jet -A??? That's about .50/gallon cheaper than diesel, smells like a Boy Scout Cook Out and probably has all the whoomph that one would ever need. Just a thought...

John
I also like the smell of Jet-A, but we need the noise to go with it. I do not however expect to see any availability at Flying J anytime soon.

Jon will not like this idea either. Lets offer to try it out on his coach first. We'll pressurize his coach at the same time.

JIM KELLER
03-31-2008, 06:37 AM
Well that drop in wholesale prices didn't last long enough to make it to the street. I started this thread on March 17th posting a drop of 28.4 cents per gallon in Diesel Fuel. This morning, back in my office I see the price has gone back up 22.7 since last Wednesday. Todays Tank Wagon cost is 387.989 down here in Florida.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-31-2008, 07:13 AM
Jet A, home heating oil, and diesel for off road use will all work.

Add a nitrous tank for a little boost and you should be good to go. I don't need pressurization for the bus but a JATO would be nice.

Will Garner
03-31-2008, 07:26 AM
Since this is supposed to be a post on the price of Diesel fuel I thought I'd let everyone know our local price dropped 6 cents at the end of last week. That is not much but it is a movement in the right direction.

Coloradobus
03-31-2008, 03:33 PM
Sound thinking Harry, but there is a flaw. Most of the oil that is currently pumped from Alaska goes to Japan and other foreign markets. The US Mainland sees very little Alaska oil since the oil companies get more bux for exporting it. So, if we drill for more Alaska oil, it better be stated somewhere that the oil companies can't export it!
Diesel at our local Shell down the street is $3.85 today. Today, Crude closed at $101.58, and the US dollar is worth 98 cents to the Canadian dollar. The spiral down as we know began with the interest rate drop. Everyone is so focused on the big banks' exchange rate.
What no one talks about are the rates that individual banks charge for home loans, and they aren't going down much.

That' my $4/gallon comment.

garyde
03-31-2008, 10:55 PM
I have read some USA oil is more expensive to process. That is one reason we import Saudi oil.

Joe Cannarozzi
06-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Mr Gingrich has a petition going that he is planning on presenting to congress.

www.americansolutions.com Be patient if you go here I think the volume of hits is more than the server can handle!

Drill here drill now..........

Do you think that it is dreaming to hope that some day we might get a plain spoken, intelligent, statesman that has the ability to get good legislation through running things at the front office?

I just did an advanced search for the rant I went on pertaining to fuel costs and could not find it. That's O/K it would be rude to blow my own horn:rolleyes:

Get onboard on this one, I think it could get interesting.

hhoppe
06-19-2008, 01:20 PM
Future Transportation Fuel: In accordance with the Oil billionair T Boone Pickens our buses and semi's running on (LNG) liquid natural gas would reduce the use of oil in the USA by 55%. How can this happen? Read this web site http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=819165
The systems are here and in use and are even offered to us in kit form for our Detroits. As I see it filling stations will have to grow with the expanded use, but I don't see other draw backs. The fuel is very abundent at home and at lower prices than oil.
Remember guys the far left that is eliminating our chosen way of life in our buses and craming us into the new fhuers car the Prius or other mouse car.
We can beat them at the ballot box and the use of public referendums.

Ray Davis
06-19-2008, 02:16 PM
It might be worth reading this, from the Wall Street Journal.

http://itsgettinghotinhere.org/2008/04/29/wsj-says-dont-bet-on-lng-to-reduce-us-natural-gas-prices/

Ray

flyu2there
06-19-2008, 04:52 PM
OPEC sells oil for $136.00 a barrel.

OPEC nations buy U.S. grain at $7.00 a bushel. (four Pecks for the Purest's)

Solution: Sell grain for $136.00 a bushel.

Can't buy it? Tough! Eat your oil!

Ought to go well with a nice thick grilled filet of camel thigh cooked over Light Sweet Crude!