PDA

View Full Version : Removable Ladder

lloyd&pamela
03-24-2008, 02:44 AM
I would like a removable ladder to access the roof. It would sit into two small mounts on the roof and be held in place by gravity and weight. It would be straight and have rubber protectors that keep the ladder off the rear bumper. It would also separate in the middle for easy storage in the bays below. It would be made of stainless steel like the bus.

Attached is a photo of a Removable H2 Ladder.

Do you know of something like this? Can anyone make something like this? Thank you.

dalej
03-24-2008, 08:34 AM
Lloyd,

Have you thought about a expandable ladder that you can carry in your storage. Most of us have one, so if we need to get on top or wash or maintain the upper portion of the bus.

Orren Zook
03-24-2008, 09:56 AM
If I were going to have one made it would be of anodized aluminum rather than stainless - just to keep the weight manageable. I have seen detachable ladders used on enclosed racing trailers, they enabled the trailer roof to be used as an observation deck and are removed when not in use.

lloyd&pamela
03-24-2008, 12:29 PM
I have 6 foot step ladder, but it is too short. After asking around I have decided to just buy a taller expandable ladder. Thank all.

Jerry Winchester
03-24-2008, 03:57 PM
Lloyd,

I would get a good Little Giant ladder or something similar. I remember when this board first kicked off there was a comment made about having roof air conditioners, big giant mud flaps, bras and ladders on your coach; Before long it starts looking like a Winnebago.

Resist the urge. But install all the LED lights you want.

lloyd&pamela
03-24-2008, 04:09 PM
I definitely want to avoid the mud flaps, bras, and attached ladders. And I don't even want to think about gluing leds on the coach. Though I thought your xmas ones looked great. Thanks.

ajhaig
03-24-2008, 05:13 PM
There is a 1995 Marathon listed for sale on Prevost-Stuff that has a rear ladder.

Joe Cannarozzi
03-24-2008, 05:24 PM
Did you say a 3 piece stainless removable ladder?

AJ I'm not sure but it looks like there is a roof deck on that Marathon. Back third, just noticeable, in a couple of the pictures you can see what looks like the railings folded down. Cheep looking ladder.

Ray Davis
03-24-2008, 05:59 PM
I carry a Little Giant ladder, which folds up into a compartment in the first bay. It it just tall enough that I can get on the roof, although the ladder is pretty darn heavy. This was setup by a previous owner (maybe even from the converter that way)

Steve Bennett once told me that he carries a folding laddder from Camping World. http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=20320

I have considered changing to this, cause it folds up really nicely and is MUCH lighter than the Little Giant ladder. You can get on the roof of your coach, but will need to use a nearby picnic table to be tall enough to make it happen.

Ray

merle&louise
03-24-2008, 07:05 PM
Lloyd,

I have an expandable ladder like this one; it stores to 30" high and expands to 12.5 feet! Not bad for $100.:D

I can show it to you if you are going to be in TN for the rally.

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-FOOT-TELESCOPIC-EXPANDABLE-LADDER-30-Fits-in-Trunk_W0QQitemZ350039102246QQihZ022QQcategoryZ4291 4QQcmdZViewItem

Darrell McCarley
03-24-2008, 07:07 PM
Lloyd, Be very careful when you walk on the roof of your Prevost. The metal is very soft. Should you walk, only step where the roof supports are located to keep from bending the rooftop. I would try to stay off the roof as much as possible. I would place a thick board such as a 2X10 on the roof to walk so you will not dent the metal between the cross members. Just a thought. Should have "thought" before I walked on mine. Darrell

Petervs
03-24-2008, 09:41 PM
I have one just like Tuga, I like it. It allow one to fix the awning that blows open while driving across Iowa at 70 mph in a 45 mile per hour crosswind, and other fun stuff like that. It lays in a storage bay on it's side, with a strip of velcro holding it to the wall.

Compact, lightweight, and best of all, it does noty look like a Winnebago. Always amazes me how many plastic coach folks tie an 8 foot ladder strapped to the ladder bolted to the b ack of their camper. Looks tacky.

Prevost people should have a higher standard.

Ray Davis
03-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Tuge (and Peter)

So, I went looking on not only Ebay (the URL you listed), but looked at serveral other locations on the web. Either that is a VERY good buy, or it's a cheap imitation of a more expensive ladder?

Do you have a make/model of your ladder?

I found similar items from $139 (on Ebay, another vendor), to over $300.

I think that would be a great subsitute for the Little Giant I have currently, but don't want to waste my money is this isn't the "real thing".

Ray

merle&louise
03-24-2008, 10:04 PM
Peter,

My awnings have opened like that one time driving in the Texas hill country. I didn't use the ladder (didn't have it at the time). We slid the windows opened and re-wound the canvas. It took a while in the 30 mph wind and with 18 wheelers whizzing by. Now I use the LATCH that is provided to secure them. Works a lot better.:o

merle&louise
03-24-2008, 10:10 PM
Tuge (and Peter)

So, I went looking on not only Ebay (the URL you listed), but looked at serveral other locations on the web. Either that is a VERY good buy, or it's a cheap imitation of a more expensive ladder?

Do you have a make/model of your ladder?

I found similar items from $139 (on Ebay, another vendor), to over $300.

I think that would be a great subsitute for the Little Giant I have currently, but don't want to waste my money is this isn't the "real thing".

Ray

Ray,

I agree, that is a very low price - it could be a cheapo. I paid $179 + shipping about 1 year ago. It looks exactly like the ladder that I have. Mine does not have a name or model # on it (I checked last week when a friend wanted to order one). I bought mine on the internet, but I don't have any of the records from last year. It is really a quality product; the fit and finish is really nice.

I think for $100 I would take a chance! Columbus took a chance:eek:

MangoMike
03-24-2008, 10:45 PM
Ray,

I have this exact ladder bought from Camping World. Works great, but as you guess, not tall enough to get on top of the bus. Especially an H3 ;).

Mike

THIS IS INCORRECT. SEE MY FOLLOWING POST.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
03-24-2008, 11:51 PM
I also have the 12 1/2' Telescoping ladder. I purchased last year for around $140. Their prices have gone up, but this is where I purchased mine, http://www.brandsonsale.com/ht-001756.html

Works Great for waxing and cleaning the water spots off the windows. :)

I also have the 7' collapsible dbl step ladder in the bay, just in case. Haven't opened it yet.

Gary S.

dale farley
03-25-2008, 09:14 AM
I scanned 800 of the feedback for the eBay seller, and only a couple had purchased the ladder, but the comments were positive. I've bid on it, so if I get it, I'll give my opinion.

I also just purchaed a 12' fiberglass step ladder. It's nice for getting all the way to the top of the bus and working in the bus barn, but it is big and heavy. I don't think I am going to strap it to the back of the bus until I know several of us will be traveling in a caravan.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-25-2008, 09:48 AM
There is a rule.....if you strap a big orange fiberglass ladder to the back of the bus, then you need to tie as much miscellaneous junk to the roof as you can. When you load the roof with junk be sure to secure a few things in such a way as to make them look like they will fall off and they will flop around in the breeze. That is required.

Next to the ladder you need to tie a pair of webbed aluminum lawn chars.

You also need to strap a pair of rusty bicycles to the front of the bus.

To complete the look go to Camping World and get one of those US maps with stickers of the various states and paste that on the side near the door. Along with the purchase of the map make sure you get a string of Chinese lanterns to hang on the awning when you are in a campground. A wooden plaque with your name stuck in the windshield will complete the look.

The advantage of doing such a Tennessee decor is that you never have to waste time washing the coach or polishing the wheels ever again.

I learned all this from Roger.

MangoMike
03-25-2008, 10:48 AM
The above ladder is NOT the one I have (the one linked by Ray). After checking, it's this one.

Sorry for the confusion.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=27661&src=SRQB

Mike

Alek&Lucia
03-25-2008, 11:34 AM
Jon,

You missed the broom that should be mounted to the orange ladder .

Alek

rfoster
03-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Jon: I know you are trying real hard to fit in here in the Confederate States of America, and you are beginning to pay attention to the details, but

A couple of things you forgot -- no entry door required, its optional and at least 4 old coon dogs that sleep under the trailer/bus, three satellite dishes, and a coat hangar for local tv.

Lets get with the program or you could be accused of being from Oklahoma.

Joe Cannarozzi
03-25-2008, 03:16 PM
Roger and Jon you have perfectly described our 26ft Class C Coachman Leprechaun that preceded the bus. We also carried in addition to EVERYTHING you listed a bar fridge sitting on the rear bumper in between the ladder and spare tire. We once purchased a step stool at Wallmart that I stowed on the roof and by the next stop it was gone:o

Those were the good old days, we held the title to it and could afford to do a whole lot more traveling with it that what we are doing now:(

Jerry Winchester
03-25-2008, 03:32 PM
Nice try Roger, but you need to know that Oklahoma is a name derived from two Cherokee words, okla and homa which when translated mean, "Not from Tennessee", so keep those coon dogs under the Blingmobile and remember that it was A1 who harpooned you, not your friend from the sooner state.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-25-2008, 05:16 PM
Joe, Just remember, Roger and I did not mention names. You outed yourself.

jello_jeep
03-25-2008, 08:33 PM
Ray, IMHO you already have the best ladder. The little giant ladder is rated for a normal American to be on it. Yes its heavy and a pain to unfold and all, but it is heavy duty.

I am 5 weeks post op on my shoulder surgery from complications arising from being too stupid to go to the truck and get the right ladder. I was using a 1A rated ladder, so the duty rating of the ladder was fine. However instead of getting a taller ladder to do the job I foolishly elected to stand on top of it (8') right where it says "Don't stand here" and was working up through a suspended ceiling.

I did that type of thing for a living in those days, and I felt at home up there, what could go wrong?

Well it all went South when I leaned out to do the last overhead task. The ladder went sideways, and I gingerly descended down through the suspended ceiling like a falling snowflake. I tried to land on my feet, but hit the ladder on the way down and hit the concrete, landing on my shoulder. It dislocated same, and shattered the ball. I have broken lots of stuff but this was the worst.

I would give a good 5 years pay to take that day back. So don't be shy about using good equipment and technique on ladders. I had a little giant on my truck and it would not have done that.

FWIW, there was a guy on crutches wandering about the camp in Lake Havasu and sooner or later I had to ask what he had done.

He was standing on a 4' ladder, putting his day shades on, took a gainer off just a 4 footer and busted his hip.

This falling, even from a short distance can really foul up your day!

MangoMike
03-25-2008, 09:00 PM
Warren,

This should only happen to Bin Laden. Sorry man.

Mike

garyde
03-25-2008, 09:44 PM
There is a rule.....if you strap a big orange fiberglass ladder to the back of the bus, then you need to tie as much miscellaneous junk to the roof as you can. When you load the roof with junk be sure to secure a few things in such a way as to make them look like they will fall off and they will flop around in the breeze. That is required.

Next to the ladder you need to tie a pair of webbed aluminum lawn chars.

You also need to strap
a pair of rusty bicycles to the front of the bus.

To complete the look go to Camping World and get one of those US maps with stickers of the various states and paste that on the side near the door. Along with the purchase of the map make sure you get a string of Chinese lanterns to hang on the awning when you are in a campground. A wooden plaque with your name stuck in the windshield will complete the look.

The advantage of doing such a Tennessee decor is that you never have to waste time washing the coach or polishing the wheels ever again.

I learned all this from Roger.

Jon, you forgot the Bumper sticker; I'm spending my childrens inheritance! or If you see the Coach rockin, don't come knockin!

dale farley
04-08-2008, 12:24 AM
I received the 12.5' ladder I ordered from eBay for $89 plus shipping. It appears to be the exact same ladder ($179.99) as Gary gave the link for $ttp://www.brandsonsale.com/ht-001756.html (http://www.brandsonsale.com/ht-001756.html). The decals are exactly the same. Mine just says CMT 12 1/2' ladder. It seems to be a very nice ladder, and I think it will serve the purpose.

truk4u
04-08-2008, 08:23 AM
Dale,

I ordered one also at the same price and it looks like the same thing, works great.

Ray Davis
04-08-2008, 12:21 PM
I had sent the Ebay seller a message about the ladder, asking if he could tell me the make/model of the ladder. He didn't even do me the courtesy of a response, even though his add indicated to feel free to send questions.

Ray