PDA

View Full Version : Toad my Buick Enclave

rff105
03-18-2008, 08:11 AM
I have given up on my stacker aspirations (for now) and am looking at going toad. I have a 2008 Buick Enclave AWD w/6 speed auto trans and the owner's manual reads like it is no problem to dingy tow 4 wheels down with out the need for a Remco circulator or anything. I have found this updated GM bulletin posted on the RV.net website:

Models:
2008 Buick Enclave

2007 GMC Acadia

2007 Saturn OUTLOOK

This bulletin is being revised to add models and revise dinghy towing procedures. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-00-89-021 (Section 00 - General Information).

The purpose of this bulletin is to inform dealers of special procedures necessary when towing the vehicle behind a recreational vehicle.

Recreational Vehicle Towing (Dinghy Towing)

Important: To avoid battery rundown while towing, remove the 50 amp BATT1 fuse in the UBEC. Refer to the dinghy towing procedure in this bulletin.
Recreational Vehicle Towing Information
Important: Vehicles with a 6-speed automatic transmission that are "dinghy towed" must be started at the beginning of each day and at each fuel stop for a minimum of five minutes.
Recreational vehicle towing means towing the vehicle behind another vehicle -- such as behind a motorhome. The two most common types of recreational vehicle towing are known as "dinghy towing" (towing the vehicle with all four wheels on the ground) and "dolly towing" (towing the vehicle with two wheels on the ground and two wheels up on a device known as a "dolly"). With the proper preparation and equipment, many vehicles can be towed in these ways. Refer to the appropriate model/model year Owner Manual for towing preparation guidelines and dolly and dinghy towing procedures. The Towing Chart below summarizes powertrain combination compatibility with dolly and dinghy towing methods.
2008 Buick Enclave, 2007 GMC Acadia, 2007 Saturn OUTLOOK Recreational Vehicle Towing Chart

Powertrain Combination and Towing Method Rear Wheels on a Tow Dolly Front Wheels on a Tow Dolly All Four Wheels on the Ground (Dinghy)
3.6L V6 (LY7) Engine with Front-Wheel Drive and 6T75 Six-Speed Automatic Transaxle (MY9) No Yes Yes*
3.6L V6 (LY7) Engine with All-Wheel Drive and 6T75 Six-Speed Automatic Transaxle (MH6) No No Yes*
*Notice: If the vehicle is equipped with a 6T75 six-speed automatic transmission, it can be dinghy towed from the front for unlimited miles at 65 mph (105 km/h). To avoid vehicle damage, never exceed 65 mph (105 km/h) while towing Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia and Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles. The repairs would not be covered by the warranty.
Dinghy Towing Procedure
Notice: If you tow your vehicle without performing each of the steps listed under "Dinghy Towing," you could damage the automatic transmission. Be sure to follow all steps of the dinghy towing procedure prior to and after towing your vehicle.
Notice: Don't tow a vehicle with the front drive wheels on the ground if one of the front tires is a compact spare tire. Towing with two different tire sizes on the front of the vehicle can cause severe damage to the transmission.
Important: Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia and Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles may only be dinghy towed from the front, with all four wheels on the ground.

1. Position the vehicle to tow and then secure it.
2. Shift transmission to PARK (P) and turn the ignition to OFF.
3. Set the parking brake.
4. Turn the ignition to ACCESSORY.
5. Shift your transmission to NEUTRAL (N).
6. To prevent your battery from draining while the vehicle is being towed, remove the 50 amp BATT1 fuse in the UBEC, and store in a safe location.
7. Release the parking brake.

Once you have reached your destination, do the following steps:
1. Set the parking brake.
2. Reinstall the BATT1 fuse.
3. Shift the transmission to PARK (P), turn the ignition key to OFF and remove the key from the ignition.
4. Release the parking brake.

I am looking at buying the following Blue Ox Equipment. From what I have read Blue Ox has the best looking Base Plates for the Enclave but what about the tow bar itself? I have read you can get adapters to work with other manufactures tow bars. Is there anything else I might need for installation/operation? I should not need a brakeing systems? What do you guys use to protect the front of your car bra, bar mounted deflector, or both? Any recomondatio0ns on protection for the Buick would be appreciated.

From RVupgradestore.com

Product Name: Price: Quantity:
Aventa LX Tow Bar - Class IV 10,000 lb rated $559.95 1 (http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=232)

BX1513 2008 Buick Enclave Blue Ox Base Plate $336.18 1 (http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=200&strVarSel=480)

Towing Accessories Kit for Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar - 10,000 lb $139.43 1 (http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1782)

phorner
03-18-2008, 08:37 AM
We've been using the Aventa LX Tow Bar for a couple of years now and we're very happy with it.

The ball swivel can be a bit tight. It's hard to follow the instructions in the manual and not lubricate it...

Good luck with your project!!

Coloradobus
03-18-2008, 06:09 PM
We used the Aventa II and it has 7 years and over 100,000 miles of towing various "toweds" over the years. On the Chevy, we have the Blue Ox baseplate. On the Rover, we have a Roadmaster baseplate since it allowed Rover to retain its brushguard. With the MX Roadmaster Adaptor, we still use the Aventa II. And on the E-350 Airstream B Van, with a Remco driveshaft disconnect with also use a different Roadmaster base[plate and MX adaptor. Blue Ox didn't make a baseplate for the E-350 for the same Aventa II towbar, so we went to Roadmaster. We also carry a spare Aventa II just incase the first has a failure. We ran into a failure 6 years ago when one of the springs that hold the arm retraction lever in place broke. Blue Ox was very good at sending a new spring to out next destination, but in the interim we jury-rigged the lever so that the towbar arm stayed extended while towing.

lewpopp
03-18-2008, 10:30 PM
On our 2008 Outlook we have the Blue Ox system with the SMI braking system.

More importantly because of the debris flying all over a new car, I purchased one of those car covers from a California co advertised in the back of the FMCA magazine. I found that once I fit it on the car, It was easy to remove and put back on. I worried that it would be a pain but I fold it up (if clean) andput it in the supplied storage bag with no problem.

I would like someone to come up with a switch inside I could flip to cut the power to the 50 amp Batt fuse. That I find is a pain. Some of you motorheads should come up with that solution. Let me know.

Another suggestion I have is if you use the Blue Ox system, when the pins are removed go to a hardware store and buy a couple of 7/8" table leg cups. Like what is on the end of a cane. Put them in the holes and slightly turn as you put them in and it will keep the shaft hole clean. Blue Ox sometimes give you some plastic inserts and sometimes they don't.

rff105
03-19-2008, 08:04 AM
Here is how one guy on the other site added a switch.

I placed a switch under the dash 50 amp ran wires to the Batt I fuse - this is a fuse which receives the spades from the fusebox. Installed a spade connector on one of the wires then pushed it on the fusebox connector where Batt I fuse was removed, made up a pigtail from the other terminal to one side of the 50 AMP fuse and then the other fuse terminal to the switch. This set up works well not having to get under the hood.
You will loose some of the memory but not the A & B trip mileage. There is one thing I have had happen is the check engine light will come on if I don't follow this procedure of turning the key to off prior to turning the installed switch on.
Hope this helps.

Here is the link to the whole thread http://www.rv.net/forums/Index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/21018035/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm

rff105
03-19-2008, 08:14 AM
Do you think I will need a braking system? I have toad a chevy minivan with our old Vogue 5000 without brakes, no problem. But the Vogue felt like it could stop on a dime with or without a toad. The H3 is a different story, i definitely don't have the same level of confidence in the stopping ability. Although I would prefer to stay away from the expense, hassel, and ware on my vehicle if it is not necessary to have a brake system.

jack14r
03-19-2008, 11:20 AM
I have the m&g brake system on a chevy P/u and I can tell that the brakes on the P/U work.I wanted brakes because of legal issues,I am comfortable without them as far as stopping but not from a legal standpoint.

Jerry Winchester
03-19-2008, 11:48 AM
Richard,

Don't you have to be like 90 years old to own a Buick? I'm not buying all the Tiger Woods crap.

We have a Roadmaster tow bar and I just had to have the springs in the locks replaced. Not a good deal given the fact that it is only a little more than two years old and the spring "kit" was $17 and the labor to replace it was $90. I would have changed it myself but I was out of the country and thought it was under warranty.

I also have the SMI Silent Partner brake system. I would not recomment it either unless you want to put up with the brakes coming on every time MangoMike calls on the cell phone.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-19-2008, 12:06 PM
Isn't a Roadmaster a Buick?

I'm thinking "out of the country" is a weak excuse for "hands so shaky from old age I need someone else to do it for me".

rff105
03-19-2008, 12:23 PM
My wife loves her Buick. It is somewhat like a glorified minivan with doors that open, but it does the job of hauling 4 kids and their stuff around. We actually traded in our Toyota Sequoia and went back to an american car. I still would not by GM stock though.

Jerry Winchester
03-19-2008, 01:39 PM
Well if I lived next to A1 Bus and Truck Repair, I could have chucked it up in the Jaws-o-Death vise and got-er done. However, if I wanted to tow the Hummer to Gulf Shores this week, someone else was going to fix it.

BuicK Roadmaster? Way before my time.

Don't you have some rags that need delinting or a bolt bin to sort?

Coloradobus
03-19-2008, 01:57 PM
Lew,

We had a Coastline Cover from Ontario, Ca for our 2001 Chevy P.U. After several trips, we decided that too much grit got under it and scuffed the chevy's finish. We also had one for the 2000 Saturn SW2 wagon. So, we cut them down to just cover the windshield. Along with the Blue Ox stoneguard and the cut down Coastline Cover windshield cover, all of our "toweds" are rock ding-free.
Too bad for the passing palm tree near Blyth, Ca last year. Chris was driving Rover detached ( SO WE each COULD DO 70 MPH on I-10) following me and the coach, and Rover's windhshield got hit BAD!:(
A new heated windhshield for Rover, $$$:eek::eek:

merle&louise
03-19-2008, 08:55 PM
Hey Jim,

A little thread creep here: when passing through Blyth, CA check point traveling west on I-10 is it necessary to disconnect the toad in order to avoid a ticket? We disconnected on the way to Indio this past February just to be safe; then, reconnected 10 miles down the road.

Ray Davis
03-19-2008, 10:04 PM
I've never been stopped there, but I do keep down to 55 MPH (towing speed in CA), and I'm not over the 65 foot limit. If you're over, and concerned, you might as well unhook.

I haven't personally heard of anyone getting stopped, but I have read about it on other RV forums.

Ray

lewpopp
03-19-2008, 10:36 PM
After talking to my electrical gurus here who have dug me out of other troubles, I have decided not to remove the 50 amp fuse at all. Just make sure I start the car each day and let run for 5 minutes after each days' trip.

Anyway, the only thing I had to reset in the car was the time and date but the wife did it on command. No more of that!

Jer....The Roadmaster was da one wid the portholes.. Loved them. It was popular when that ughly Scout was on the road.

Jerry Winchester
03-20-2008, 08:58 AM
Lew,

I made a widget for just the problem you encountered. You take one of those 12 volt cigar lighter power plugs you have laying around and wire it up to a 9v battery. When you are going to disconnect the battery or power from the car, plug it in to the lighter and the power from the little battery will keep the clock and radio preselects programed.

Coloradobus
03-20-2008, 12:11 PM
Hey Jerry,

Sorry for the thread creep. NO, we don't detach just because of the Ca "fruitstand" check point at Blythe. If we are towing Rover, we are 65ft. The other two toweds make us over that limit. Sometimes, we chance it, and sometimes we don't, but, if we just don't want to be restricted to the SSLLLLOOOOWWW 55 mph, we detach, and head up to 70 mph.

Otherwise, say on I-15 from Las Vegas into Fontana, we have never had a length issue.

Yes, we have listen to several who have been pulled over and measured.

Jerry and Sherry O'Connor, Current and outgoing Prez of the Country Coach club, who has a 45 CC XLII has been stopped while towing a Tahoe, and the Trooper pulled out the tape measure. Rick Kent, Treasurer of the Prevost Prouds was pulled over several years ago towing a F-150 and was ticketed.

So it depends. I have checked with CHP, and depending on which office you talk to, their intent differs. I have even asked if we could buy a permit for being over length, and was answered, NO. Gee, they are turning down a $$$$ on that one.,

lewpopp
03-20-2008, 09:56 PM
Jer....Thanks for the heads up tip, butt smeller!

Go get em Scout !!