PDA

View Full Version : Florida Keys...Today

rickdesilva
03-15-2008, 10:00 PM
We're leaving Naples monday morning and heading to Blue Water Key for a few days then home to NJ. The last time I traveled to Key West was about 6years ago with my family on our Harleys. The roads were Ok and needless to say it was easy to pull over to enjoy the sights. Has anyone been down there lately as I hear that there is some road construction that has caused traffic delays. Are there any places to pull over with the coach or is it non-stop to Blue Water Key. We're taking RT41 from Naples to the east coast, how is the availability of Diesel? Any help or "heads up" would be appreciated.

Joe Cannarozzi
03-15-2008, 10:37 PM
It is readily available but the price more. I would make sure we had enough to go down and back without needing any. There is a truck-stop where you will turn off 41 and head South at 997. If the price in Naples is not real appealing I doubt it will get any better, that will probably be your best bet.

Last few years they've been widening the road North of Key Largo but there are not any lane closures and being one lane to start, no different in terms of flow, not to say that we weren't lucky.

The rest of the way down should be no different than the last trip you took, nothing happening from Largo down in the way of road work.

Lots of places to pull over with the bus but they do limit parking along the seashore at night to 4 hours and watch that pretty closely.

GREAT Italian restaurant real close to Blue Water, 21 mile marker, turn oceanside (southside), at the end of the road, called Ramundo's. The meal setting and service all first class.

Have a safe trip.

dalej
03-15-2008, 10:41 PM
Rick,

We haven't been there since 02, but it didn't seem that far across 41, maybe less then 100 miles. If you have 1/2 tank or more you should get along fine. Don't remember any fuel stops, just gators:)

truk4u
03-16-2008, 08:39 AM
Rick,

We were just at Bluewater in November for Thanksgiving and had no traffic construction problems except for a few minutes on 997 before we got to Homestead. There's fuel at 41 & 997 and also at Homestead, but it was mighty pricey.

There's multiple places to pull over. We stopped at one of the parking areas I believe near Marathon, all lined with tree's and a nice place to take a break.

If we go back to Bluewater, we'll probably ask for canal side. The bay side was real windy the whole time we were there and cool, but that was November.

Caution - Before you back into your site, check out the palm branches. I had to have them trim a few or they will drag across the top and side of your bus. Some of the RV's there must get their cookies off by having the palms hang all over their campers pretending they're in the rain forest!:p

Have fun, don't forget Sloppy Joe's.....

grantracy
03-16-2008, 10:10 AM
we were there a couple of months ago,there were a couple of spots along the 14 mile stretch under construction but the delay was not to bad. Of course traffic is a lot lighter Monday thru Thursday.

rickdesilva
03-16-2008, 01:43 PM
thanks for the info, I usually fill up before I park the coach, but I didn't get the chance after the Lew east coast mini rally. I didn't want to find myself in the middle of no mans land and no Diesel stops. Thanks again for the Key West info. We'll see everyone in Tennessee!

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
03-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Hi Rick and Wendy. Ed and I live in Key West and agree with everyone regarding the diesel question. Even if you have to make a detour for diesel it would be worth it. Gasoline price is $3.56 in Key West. Diesel???? Ed said that you could get diesel in Key Largo At Hess(would be on your left side coming down). There is no telling what the price would be though. Our advise is get fuel before you leave or at 41/997. As for the construction on the 18 mile stretch, be very careful because they do change lanes at times. Just go slow!!!We are all use to the traffic going slow so don't let they bother you. Better safe than sorry.
Please give us a call when you are here. We will be here until we leave for TN. Our bus is currently at Excalibur and we will drive to there and leave for TN. Just saw an ad in the paper for open house at Bluewater Key today and there is a lot for sale there $450,000.Fits 45 with 4 slides and deeded. Wish we could afford that but also, you don't want to have a coach stored down here during hurricane season due to all restrictions of time getting it out. Our number is 305-294-6440. We live at MM5 on the Gulf. Would love to hear from you. Sandy:)

ajhaig
03-16-2008, 09:32 PM
Rick,

We just made the trip several weeks ago.

We topped off at 41/997. We did hit a bit of construction traffic on our way south. On the way north we visited friends at the very tip of Key Largo, so we came back via 905 to Card Sound Road and we missed all the construction traffic. If I did the trip again I would go that way, although the road is somewhat narrow and there is a toll bridge.

Drive safely.

AJ

rickdesilva
03-16-2008, 10:50 PM
Sandy
we're storing all our stuff and pulling out of Pelican Lake tomorrow some time so we'll get to Bluewater Key sometime in the afternoon. We have no plans after that except to leave Friday AM. We'll catch up with you and Ed during the week hopefully we can get together.

AJ..thanks for the heads up

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
03-17-2008, 09:52 AM
Ed and I look forward to seeing you if possible. Have a safe trip. Beautiful day today except the wind. Forecast calls for 20-30 winds for next 2 days.

Sandy