PDA

View Full Version : Day time running lights

lloyd&pamela
03-15-2008, 02:20 PM
For the Motor vehicle inspection I have to have day time running lights.

How do I rewire the head light to come on when ever the ignition is on?

JIM CHALOUPKA
03-15-2008, 03:14 PM
For the Motor vehicle inspection I have to have day time running lights.

How do I rewire the head light to come on when ever the ignition is on?

Lloyd, are you sure you must have that if your vehicle was not manufactured that way?

It seems logical to me that you should contact Prevost and see if it can be reconfigured and if they have a wiring schematic with shop notes on the topic.

If this is a requirement as you say, then I am sure it has been done before.

Maybe its just the turn of a screw here and a washer there, no I meant an added jumper, or repositioning of a dip switch!

Darl-Wilson
03-15-2008, 03:50 PM
Lloyd, hopefully these folks (http://www.sav-a-life.com/Drl_intro.htm) can help you. You'll need to call them with your bus info. It should be relatively easy to convert. Good Luck!:cool:

Jim, Lloyd is from Nova Scotia and he needs to meet Canadian standards to import his bus.:)

lloyd&pamela
03-15-2008, 03:54 PM
Thank you I will contact them.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-15-2008, 04:59 PM
Lloyd,

This may not apply to your coach, but if not specifically it may lead you to the right place.

There are various relays in the front and rear boxes that control certain lighting functions. Look on the listing of relays on the diagrams for your front and rear electric boxes and you may have a listing for DRLs. If one is listed, just make sure the previous owner did not remove the relay.

DRLs are commonly disengaged. I think JDUB did that to his Royale and maybe he will post which relay that was. You may also want to check to see if in the rear box the relay that is used to light the brake lights when the jake is engaged has been removed. You may wish for those lights to be restored also.

Earlier coaches did not have DRLs, but I do not know which years started them.

Loc
03-15-2008, 05:40 PM
Lloyd,

As Jon said, it may be a relay that has been removed. In my 92 XL (91 chassis), I removed the relay for the daytime running lights. I don't remember the relay number, but it was listed on the schematic on the inside of the electrical panel compartment just below the driver's side window. I think it was relay 56 or 58, but don't count on my memory. Take a look at the diagram for the relays on the inside door (on my 92 it was depicted by the square boxes).

Loc

JIM CHALOUPKA
03-15-2008, 07:46 PM
Lloyd, hopefully these folks (http://www.sav-a-life.com/Drl_intro.htm) can help you. You'll need to call them with your bus info. It should be relatively easy to convert. Good Luck!:cool:

Jim, Lloyd is from Nova Scotia and he needs to meet Canadian standards to import his bus.:)

I realize that Darl, what I meant was that I think Prevost makes all the buses the same so that with a simple addition or subtraction of a component ( relay or switch if you will ) the lights would meet the requirements of any location where the bus would be sold.
JIM

Jerry Winchester
03-15-2008, 10:44 PM
It's relay 76.

lloyd&pamela
03-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Thanks I will check that first thing tomorrow.

Joe Cannarozzi
03-15-2008, 10:51 PM
No dumb questions right?

Isn't it enough to make it law that you have to have your headlights on rather than insist that the vehical has to do it for you??????????????

Jon Wehrenberg
03-16-2008, 08:00 AM
Jerry,

I think relay 76 is in the rear box and it applies to brake lights coming on when the Jake or retarder is applied.

I think his DRL relay is in the driver's front electric box.

Judi Brown
03-17-2008, 01:19 AM
Lloyd,
Is this inspection a N. S. requirement Because we did not have to have our
coach inspected because was over 15 years old . The customs guy at border said we would get notice as to where to take it. We waited for paper work and finally my husband phone number on border paper work and he said we will not be getting anything iit didn't need to be inspected so went down and put B.C. plates on.
Judi B

lloyd&pamela
03-17-2008, 06:26 AM
We are exempt from the RIV federal inspection (which is a problem for some new buses) but I believe we still need to have a Motor Vehicle Inspection. I will call Service NS Office this morning and verify. i can not find any information on a motor vehicle inspection beside the RIV federal inspection, though the RV dealer said I still needed one. Thanks

lloyd&pamela
03-18-2008, 12:52 PM
With the help of Prevost and Jon. I now have running lights. It was an easy fix. A jumper between posts 96 and 98. They now work fine.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-18-2008, 01:20 PM
I didn't do nuthin. Lloyd did it all.

He's going to be pretty handy with a multimeter by the time he gets a little experience under his belt.