PDA

View Full Version : Forward Shutters

phorner
03-12-2008, 09:06 AM
OK, I gotta ask, what is the intended purpose of being able to open and close the forward shutters?

Is this a consideration only when the bus is in motion? Does it allow any fresh air into the coach or only provide ventilation to the forward Cruise Air unit?

Are there any concerns with having the shutters either opened or closed when travelling?

Seems the Liberty manual makes mention of using them when the forward Cruise Air is operating, but only when moving? Or should they also be open when parked and using the Cruise Air units. Closed when using the OTR air?

Is all of this temperature dependant?

Anyway, just thought I'd ask......

rfoster
03-12-2008, 10:35 AM
Paul: We close the shutters when traveling in cold temps. While you and Janice lavish in the Florida Sun, it may be hard to imagine sub freezing temps, but they do exist. And in those conditions you can tell the difference with shutters open -particularly the passengers' side. That would be Micki's side. You can ask Jon - he has seen her with her coat on while I am running the AC and still perspiring.

MangoMike
03-12-2008, 11:38 AM
It's my understanding that you always need those shutters open when running the front cruise airs.

Mike

rfoster
03-12-2008, 12:45 PM
Right on Mango. Shutters are to be opened while running cruise airs. Closed while Traveling in Cold Temperatures.

I got so excited thinking about the beautiful ORA @ PSL I forgot to tell Paul that.:cool:

phorner
03-12-2008, 08:25 PM
Is that running the front Cruise Air while travelling or stationary....or both?

The only time to close them is to keep out the cold air?

Sounds like they are "normally open"...

Thanks for all the info...

Jon Wehrenberg
03-12-2008, 08:44 PM
Paul they are normally open. On our coaches in the display we have an indicator light to remind us when they are closed. The front two cruise airs need the air flow so the shutters need to be open when the cruise airs are on.

BrianE
03-13-2008, 12:43 AM
On our '94 when the switch is in the normal (off) position they close when the ignition switch is turned on, (you can hear them clunk) and they open again when the ignition is turned off. The switch opens them when the ignition is on so the cruise-airs will cool if used on the road.

phorner
03-13-2008, 06:16 PM
Thanks for all the information. Another mystery system unraveled.....

Looking forward to the rally to learn a bit more!!

Jon Wehrenberg
03-13-2008, 06:53 PM
So far what you learned is that on my vintage coach the shutters are normally open and a status light indicates when they are closed, and Brian's vintage coach the shutters are normally closed, but open upon ignition off.

It is the minor differences between model years on the same converter's products that makes answering questions and diagnosing problems so difficult on this forum.

I guess the moral to the story is verify.