PDA

View Full Version : Toad Brakes

flyu2there
03-11-2008, 09:31 AM
For the last several years I have drug around a lttle Jeep Wrangler and never paid too much attention to having brakes in the unit; it's stripped out way light and weighs in at 2300 lbs.

This year I want to take a motorcycle with me so I thought I would use my Dodge Truck, no not one of those rattle can dually diesels!:D
Going on, I met a gent a few years back who had quick connects on his bus and his toad unit, utilized the pressure from the bus air brakes, it attached to the master cylinder of the towed vehicle. It looked clean and simple. I lost the brand name and have googled to no avail.

All I have been able to find are those units that mount on the floor of the vehicle with an arm reaching towards the brake pedal....don't want one of those. Anyone have any input on this?

John

Gary & Peggy Stevens
03-11-2008, 09:36 AM
John, you need to look up either,

Roadmaster http://www.roadmasterinc.com/new.html

M & G http://www.m-gengineering.com/index.html

They are suppose to be the best toad braking in the industry? I don't have a toad so I can't tell you anything more.

Gary S.

flyu2there
03-11-2008, 09:54 AM
Thanks guys,

M and G....that's the one. Before I start doing back flips anyone have any experience with the M and G system???

jack14r
03-11-2008, 12:27 PM
I have the M and G and it is a very simple unit to install,works great and I have the optional break away kit which will stop the toad if it comes unhooked.It is not available for all vehicles,I have a 4WD Chevy truck.They have a website and they answer the phone and will answer all Questions.I could only find 1 vendor that would discount it and then only 10% I think.

Will Garner
03-11-2008, 07:56 PM
flyU2there,

I tried to get an M&G installed on my 2003 Dodge 2500 with 5.7 L Hemi. M&G says they don't make one since there is not enough room under the hood. The shop I was speaking with at the time was the source of that information. They recommended a unit manufactured by SMI, Inc. The unit is named Air Force One. That name alone should go over well with all the pilot members of POG. I checked direct with M&G and they confirmed the information previously received about the lack of a unit from them.:mad:

I have not ordered an Air Force One as yet. I'll probably wait until travel season kicks in. Wait a minute, that is the middle of April and Sevierville TN. Guess I'll have to part with some more Lewbucks. By the way, Lew answered my question about any POGger having experience with the AF1 unit. If Lew is happy, although I bet he cried a river of tears parting with that many lewbucks, he said he is satisfied with it. Lew, really, thanks for the information. I'll feel better when I buy one knowing that you are happy. By the way, the quoted cost for installation was: Materials - $999.95 plus shipping; Labor - 3 hours at $90.00 per. The quote was from Cape Fear Custom Coach in Wilmington, NC 28401. I checked the SMI website and found out I was already being over charged by almost $100 lewbucks for just the materials. Now if materials and shipping were at $999.95 that would be better. Rounding the figures that comes to $1,300. not including the diesel for about 5 hours round trip.

Hey Jon, want to do a program on installing this unit while we are at Sevierville?

SMI does have a web site, no I don't have it handy but it can be Googled, Mozilla'd or any other search engine. On the site there is a .pdf file of the Installation Instructions that you can print out and read at your leisure.

See you all in Tennessee ... anybody have a list of those attending?

BrianE
03-11-2008, 11:11 PM
FlyU,

We've had M&G's in two vehicles, an 06 Colorado and our present 08 Vue. These units have been bullet proof, the system is simple and braking is truly proportional. Would however suggest you check with M&G for a recommended installer. They don't all have the same skill or experience and the factory will tell you who you can rely on.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-12-2008, 07:47 AM
Will, I have the Brakemaster in our H2. I have not seen either of the two you mention. I'll be the student.

gmcbuffalo
03-13-2008, 02:03 AM
I also have had two vehicles with the M-G system. Once you have bought one and you need to install in another vehicle if the unit you have doesn't match the vehicle, they take the old unit back in trade.

I agree with Brain get a professional installer. I have heard that they can be touchy to adjust. So why have your liability tied to that rocket if it doesn't stop or come unattached.

GregM