PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recognize this coach?

craig
03-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Anyone recognize this coach. Interesting to see where a no reserve auction on a 91 Marathon with a $1 starting bid ends up. If anyone recognizes or knows history on this coach Id like to hear about it. Ends today. Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Prevost-Marathon-Private-Coach-Bus-RV-Motor-Home_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50056QQihZ013QQite mZ230228766938QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW#ebayphotohos ting

Petervs
03-10-2008, 11:11 AM
It has the potential to be interesting, but so often they yank the listing right before the end if they do not like the price. The description even alludes to that.

But, on the other hand, it is possible someone might get a good deal.

Five-O
03-10-2008, 11:13 AM
The seller has good feedback. So when I see a seller with excellent feedback and a great item that obviously is worth more than the present bid with no reserve smells shill bidding to me. To me the seller has friends or other ebay handles and he drives the price up. This late in the game usually, the high bidder is a shill bidder and to overcome his bid your bid will have to eclipse what he really wants to begin with. That paint scheme looks familiar. Dont know if I have seen it on the road or for sale on the internet. It would be tough for me to buy a bus over Ebay without first looking at it or having someone that I trused who lived close by look at it.

Jim Skiff
03-10-2008, 11:15 AM
Craig,

From my experience with ebay, bidding on any auction with "Private Bidders" is a bad idea no matter what the starting price.

Some of the mystery bidders are working for the house and will milk your bid so it doesn't seem to be such a good deal anymore.

A no-reserve auction is actually reserved by the bidders who refuse to reveal their identity.

I'm no expert but what I wrote above can happen.

Jim

craig
03-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Well guys heres the update. Asked for a phone contact. Was directed to the maintance manager of a corporation. This fellow sounded straight up and has been overseeing maintainence for the three years they have owned it. It is used to shuttle execs from the airport. Only 20 minutes each way so lots of systems havent been used regularly but he claims they have all been run and are in working order,

Knew the coach well and says its a 8.5 to 9 inside and out. All systems check out. If it was on the open market Id definetly be checking it out. Doesnt have prevost air but has busair in the drivers compartment, otherwise three cruisairs run with the genset is the other option when going down the road so that parts not so appealing to me. 3100 hrs on the gen.

So having got a pretty good run through of the options and layout, condition report and maintence report from a third party that like I said sounded straight up i think its as good a crap shoot as you'll come across for whoever would get this coach if the price is right. Rubber is one year old and front airbags changed out last year.

So like I said at the start of the post its going to be interesting to watch. As far as the bidding goes you can see the bid history and will be able to at the end of the sale as well so that will be interesting.

Will I be on the list? Only possibly at the end if it stays anywhere close to where it is now in the low 70's. At that price I dont think one could go wrong but like others have said that likely wont be the case.

Thanks for any input or know history is posted. Great site you guys have going here! Ive been following for a long time as I search out my coach and your experience and posting have really helped in the learning experience.

dalej
03-10-2008, 04:02 PM
Hey Craig, I hope your ebay name is leeann! :)

Darl-Wilson
03-10-2008, 05:03 PM
I used ebay to email to invite LeeAnn to join POG. Did you get that note Craig?

JIM KELLER
03-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Craig, If you didn't get this one hang in there. You will find another one that fits the budget and your dreams. Lots of support on this site and we are all willing to help.

craig
03-10-2008, 05:39 PM
Congratulations LeeAnn, I also extend my invitation to join POG. I was the guy a couple spots behind you going for the snipe.. but I wasnt quite as brave as you :)

I really think you got a great deal so Im with the rest of the guys and gals here and say "come on in!" We'd love to hear more about your new coach and you wont find a better group to help you learn about it and enjoy it!

craig
03-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the encouragement Jim and Darl no i didnt get a copy but hope she got your message.

Will let you all know if I get any invites from LeeAnn to buy a coach:)

truk4u
03-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Biddings over, 87,700.00, but who really knows!

merle&louise
03-10-2008, 08:58 PM
Biddings over, 87,700.00, but who really knows!

According to the Prevost Pricing Guide LeeAnn got a steal. Base value $155,000 to $170,000 + 10% for Premium converter + ~3% for mileage. That would put fair market value at about $175,150 - $192,100. Boy what a difference.:eek:

Our friend Steve Bennett (California Coach Company) has two 1991 Prevost 40' listed for $149,000 each, one Liberty and one Royale.

craig
03-10-2008, 09:48 PM
You can click on the bids link to see who bid and when. If its a shill bidder they did a good job of sniping the sale and if it was arranged by the seller it was a big gamble from a timing standpoint. I suspect they used sniping software to time it like they did. Personally having watched and participated in the closing bids it seems on the up and up.

My bid was made in the last 10 seconds. I think it shows though that the risk of doing a $1 opening bid, unreserved ebay auction on a quality prevost isnt necessarily the best option for the seller. If it was shilled they still have to pay ebay their fees for running the auction and at that final price its not cheap.

I must say there has to be a lot less stressful way to buy a coach but like Merle pointed out it would be at a lot higher price.:)

Orren Zook
03-10-2008, 10:49 PM
Anyone recognize this coach. Interesting to see where a no reserve auction on a 91 Marathon with a $1 starting bid ends up. If anyone recognizes or knows history on this coach Id like to hear about it. Ends today. Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Prevost-Marathon-Private-Coach-Bus-RV-Motor-Home_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50056QQihZ013QQite mZ230228766938QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW#ebayphotohos ting

Isn't that in Shookie's neck of the woods? maybe he is familiar with this coach...

merle&louise
03-11-2008, 10:09 AM
If it was shilled they still have to pay ebay their fees for running the auction and at that final price its not cheap.

I must say there has to be a lot less stressful way to buy a coach but like Merle pointed out it would be at a lot higher price.:)

Craig,

I have listed my coach on eBay (no sale) and I only paid the standard $48~ to list it. From what you say, it sounds like there are additional charges if an item sells. How much would the charges be (approximately) on a $200,000 sale?

craig
03-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Shows how much I know about Ebay.

Heres what i learned from their site. No final value fee on ebay motors but rather a transaction fee if there is any bidding activity. If there is no bidding activity then its just the insertion fee.

Taken from Ebay website:

Basic fees

You pay only an Insertion Fee and a Transaction Services Fee to list a vehicle on eBay Motors. The Transaction Services Fee is charged when the first bid is made on a listing without a reserve price or when your reserve price is met. There is no additional fee charged after the vehicle is sold. eBay Motors vehicle listings are those within the Passenger Vehicles, Motorcycles, Powersports and Other Vehicles categories.

Passenger Vehicles
Insertion Fee $40.00
Transaction Services Fee $50.00

Thanks Merle for asking the question. I thought there were still final value fees when a vehicle sold but I was wrong.

Ray Davis
03-11-2008, 01:10 PM
I tried once to sell my corvette on Ebay. At that time I thin the fees were $40 and $40. For me, it was $80 wasted. I got two bids, which caused the transaction fee to kick in. Both were down in the mud.

It was a lot cheaper, and more effective to list my vehicle on a site that sold only corvettes, and auto trader.

Ray

merle&louise
03-11-2008, 02:13 PM
I sold my last Newell to a fellow who saw it on eBay but contacted me from a listing on RVOnline.com So while eBay may not directly SELL the coach it can aid in the sale. I sold both of my Newells myself, but I am beginning to think that the use of a broker is the best way to go. I have read several posts on this site that attest to that fact. A really big advantage of using a broker is that he is in a position to take the buyers' coach in trade on your coach! Think about it!

garyde
03-11-2008, 11:00 PM
Tuga is right about Brokers being able to take in trades, however, sometimes the trades are not wanted by the brokers and he will off them to another RV Lot. When it comes to selling RV's, Brokers can be your best freind but it also depends on the owner setting the price correctly.

shookie
03-11-2008, 11:47 PM
hello....shookie here....wilkes barre is about 15 miles away from me....i have never seen the coach but have heard an owner of a car dealership was selling his "bus"...never gave the comment any thought...if anyone is interested, let me know...i can turn over a stone or two and gather info....as always....

Gary & Peggy Stevens
03-12-2008, 12:19 AM
Craig,
I have listed my coach on eBay (no sale) and I only paid the standard $48~ to list it. From what you say, it sounds like there are additional charges if an item sells. How much would the charges be (approximately) on a $200,000 sale?

SO TUGA, am I understanding this correctly? Your looking to sell your Newell, and buy, WHAT ELSE EXACTLY???? :confused: Are you looking to get into a bus, or stay with the many slide Newell's? Just curious.

Gary S.

merle&louise
03-12-2008, 09:33 AM
Gary,

My error: it should have read; I have listed my Newell on eBay in the past.
I listed it about 1 year after we bought it because of financial reasons; I had a gas spill at my C store and I thought that the world was coming to an end. Problems and costs with the EPA seemed insurrmountable, and I was thoroughly disgusted. All that changed and now we have decided to keep it.

So I am staying with my Newell; no problems; no real reason to sell. I couldn't replace it for what I have invested in it. Also, we love the floorplan; rear bath and a half bath. The slides are trouble free and we love the extra room.

Where is the slide on your bus, front or rear? I sure would like to see some pictures:D

Gary & Peggy Stevens
03-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Tuga the slide is in the front. It is a Prevost slide which I am real happy about.

See if this web site will allow you to see more pictures?

If not let me know, and I will find another way to get pictures to you. I am Very Happy to share photos of my new girl, with anybody that asks.

http://picasaweb.google.com/gstevens51/AmericanXLIIAllCleaned34Polished?authkey=z9C_VATaS vY

Gary S

merle&louise
03-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Thanks Gary, she is beautiful! I really like burgandy. Are those 2 Girard automatic awnings? Whenever you get some inside pics please post. Are you and Peggy going to make the Sevierville Rally?

QueenOfTheRoad
03-17-2008, 10:04 PM
Re: LeeAnn's winning bid: Way to go, girl! And, I thought I got amazing deals on shoes on Ebay!

Gary & Peggy Stevens
03-17-2008, 11:10 PM
Thanks Gary, she is beautiful! I really like burgandy. Are those 2 Girard automatic awnings? Whenever you get some inside pics please post. Are you and Peggy going to make the Sevierville Rally?

Sorry to get back to you after so long, Tuga. For some reason this question on my previous post never came up again. Anyway, yes it has 1 Auto Awning and 1 Empty box on each side. The driver's awning goes about
2' past the slide out.

Yes Peg and I will be attending the TN rally, with our big GRINS ON :D
We wouldn't miss it. We will be in Panama City, Fl. with our granddaughter the week prior, and then dropping her off in Atlanta on our way up north.

See you soon.

Gary S.