PDA

View Full Version : A/C Compressor pump

garyde
03-08-2008, 10:37 PM
Back in November i took my coach into Prevost and had a leak fixed at the A/C compressor . A few weeks later , while the Coach was parked, I noticed some green fluid, (a very small amount) below the A/C compressor. Is this coolant or lubricant? I cleaned the area off and have not seen anymore for the last 6 days. I have not started the engine since last week.

flyu2there
03-09-2008, 07:53 AM
Hmmmmmmh......Because you cannot see or really smell any of the members of the Freon family, leaks are shown with dye....if the unit had a leak they probably added some leak check to the R-34 although all I have ever seen is red....but they could make it in green, dunno. I guess the next question to ask is the green stuff or was the green stuff oily or slippery? Leak check is stuff that reacts and changes color when it mixes with nitrogen (ambient air) under pressure and the newer air con systems all keep a some oil inside the system for lubrication...R-34 needs that the old R-12 systems did not. Anyway if there is a leak, usually around fittings and couplings, this stuff shows up the color will manifest itself and it will be oily.

The actual compressor uses regular plain old fashioned motor oil, check the manuals for specific recommendations, many of the newer one use Mobil 1. A bad compressor will first indicate pending failure by sounding if, rather than oil, it was being lubricated by marbles. After a bit of that, its anyones guess, seizure is not uncommon.

My guess is that if you had a service at Mira Loma along with the a/c issue, Jose or is that Hose-A, may have slopped some radiator coolant around or overfilled that system. Run it, if it cools and the compressor does not make too many strange noises, I spect you are good to go.

I hope that helped..maybe a little,

John