PDA

View Full Version : Testing Auto Start Function

grantracy
03-08-2008, 08:07 AM
I believe my auto start function on the genset is intermittent. Does anyone know of a way to test that function. I tried putting a load on by turning on a/c and all I got was a low house battery indication. However the next day I came out to the coach and the generator was running and charging the house batteries. Any thoughts?

truk4u
03-08-2008, 08:26 AM
G-man,

I don't know what auto-start you have, my Marathon was an older Genmate and I could set the start voltage function with dip switches. You may want to find out where it is set to come on, it could be in the low 11 volt range or lower. Sounds like it's working, that's the good news.

Be sure to disable it when parked inside...

Jon Wehrenberg
03-08-2008, 08:51 AM
Gran,

There is a way, but you or a tech have to be familiar with your particular system.

This assumes there is not some logic within the auto start that uses several input conditions besides battery voltage to determine when generator start should occur.

If the auto start is using battery voltage only as the determining factor, there will be a wire or curcuit that is used to provide that voltage to the auto start. My auto start has a wire that is on a fused circuit and it feeds the battery voltage to the auto start control device.

You need to fool the auto start device into thinking the battery voltage is at or lower than the auto start set point by adding resistance to the wire or circuit so the voltage through that wire or circuit is less than it actually is.

Other than doing that I don't know if the auto start devices have any other way of being tested.

grantracy
03-08-2008, 09:16 AM
Probably best to get it back to Featherlite(had this problem before and they replaced votage regulator) as Truk said at least its working albeit intermittent.

garyde
03-08-2008, 10:07 PM
I believe my autostart kicks in when my batteries hit 12.2 volts. This happens when I am not plugged in after about 10 hours or less depending on what is turned on.