PDA

View Full Version : Backup Camera

dale farley
03-05-2008, 12:36 AM
I have a Panasonic VA 70 AV System in my coach, and everything seems to work fine except what I need most. The backup camera is extremely fuzzy and the picture rolls and fluctuates all the time. It is basically useless. Since the other screens work fine and are clear, I assume the problem is in the camera itself.

Does anyone know of anyone who repairs these systems? Is this something that I just need to remove and replace? The unit has its own radio, and the XM Radio, and my DVD run through this system.

I have included a couple pictures. The one of the color screen is out of focus, because I didn't want to use a flash, and I handheld the camera for a long exposure.

Should I just leave the system in place and get a new backup camera? Open for suggestions.

Ray Davis
03-05-2008, 01:55 AM
Dale,

If the monitor itself is sharp on other inputs, it's obviously something to do with the signal from the camera. It might be as simple as a bad connection in the incoming wire. I'd pull it out of the dash (or get behind it), and make sure that all incoming connections are solid.

If that end is good, if you can get at the backup camera, make sure connections at that camera end are solid.

It's certainly possible the camera has taken a dump, but I'd check connections first. If that doesn't pan out, if you can get a small portable monitor, and connect direct to the camera at the back, then you can tell if the camera is indeed the culprit.

Ray

Joe Cannarozzi
03-05-2008, 04:46 AM
Did you try leaving it on for a while?

dale farley
03-05-2008, 08:23 AM
Ray, I will check the connections behind the main unit again and also see if I can get to the camera end. Has anyone ever pulled one of these cameras out of it place in the rear of the bus? I don't readily see how it comes out or how it is attached. It looks like it is glued in, and I am afraid I am going to mess up my paint trying to get it out.

Joe, I've only had it on for a few minutes at a time but I will try leaving it on longer and see if that gets it hot enough to work properly.

truk4u
03-05-2008, 08:47 AM
Dale,

That whole panel comes off, it's just held on with velcro. It's a rats nest of wires behind the panel, but at least you can check the connections. I think you can get to the camera connections through the rear closet without dealing with it on the outside.

Isn't a new bus fun!:(

How's this Ray?

Ray Davis
03-05-2008, 11:41 AM
I think you can get to the camera connections through the rear closed

Probably obvious, but if not, I believe Tom mean "rear closet".

Ray

Denny
03-05-2008, 03:53 PM
Dale,

Had the same problem. Do as Ray said and check the connections first. If that does not correct the problem then you will need a new camera. Been there done that.

Denny

dale farley
03-05-2008, 04:05 PM
I looked at the camera on the outside and decided that it must be accessable throught he bedroom. There is a little access panel, and I pulled out the camera. It connects to a small box which I assume is an amplifier. I checked connections on both ends with no positive results. Even switched the input to Video 2 and it looked the same as V 1.

Denny, Did you find an exact replalcement for the camera? I am hoping to get something to go back in the exact hole.

Ray Davis
03-05-2008, 04:16 PM
Dale,

Do you have a little TV from home? If so, connect the camera output directly to your TV (bring it in the bedroom there), and see what the output of the camera is directly. If it's bad, you've got your culprit.

You can also take a portable camera (vcr type), and connect it to the unit, pretending you're the backup camera source. Look at the video on the display up front. Is that clear? If so, then the path from camera to display is fine, and your camera is suspect.

Ray

dale farley
03-05-2008, 04:24 PM
Ray, That sounds like a good idea if I can make my connectors fit. If I can really isolate it to the camera, then I don't mind getting another.

dale farley
03-05-2008, 04:56 PM
I hooked up my video camera to the cable in the back of the bus, and it looks fine on the screen on the dash, so I think I can safely assume I have a bad camera.

Ray Davis
03-05-2008, 05:33 PM
A bad camera, or the cable from the camera to the connection box wasn't making a good contact. That's where a little TV in the bedroom would tell you for sure.

ray

Ray Davis
03-05-2008, 05:34 PM
Actually many video cameras have the ability to have a video in, and then play what's coming in over the video in line? If so, you can test in that fashion with your camera.

Some only have video out, so it may not help.

Darrell McCarley
03-05-2008, 09:54 PM
Roaunner: When my camera quit working a couple years ago, I priced back-up cameras at RV supply stores at the $300.00 level. Someone suggested that I go to an electronics store. I went to FRY's Electronics and purchased a security camera with night vision and a wide angle lens for around $100.00. It works much better than the converter installed camera. All of the wires connected so it was easy to install.

dale farley
03-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Darrell, That sounds like what I am looking for. Did you have any problems getting it to fit the hole properly?

Darrell McCarley
03-05-2008, 10:11 PM
Roadrunner: The lens of the camera mounts up too a glass window(small round) on the back of my bus. Your mounting is could be different if it has to fit in a small space but I think most camera lens are similar. Be sure to get a wide angle lens.

Ray Davis
03-05-2008, 11:25 PM
Do you have to get a camera that scans backwards? I may be wrong, but I thought the backup camera scanned backwards to that when you looked at the image in the display, the sides were correct?

Ray

BrianE
03-05-2008, 11:47 PM
Dale

If you run out of ideas and need some help give Tim Lazaroe a call. He is in Baton Rouge and is truly a backup system guru. http://www.rvcams.com/

MangoMike
03-06-2008, 07:31 AM
Brian ePod,

You've been just a Plethora of information this week. First that great heads up to Trukman about the Webasto (mist maid) now the RV camera supplier.

Nice job as your hat may be going in the ring as Jon-of-the-Week.

Mike

Darrell McCarley
03-06-2008, 09:27 AM
Dale, My camera works fine for me but I like Brian's suggestion to call the camera store in Baton Rouge. He could answer all of your questions and his prices seen reasonable. Thanks Brian for your helpful input. This forum has been very helpful for me and saved me much-much more than I paid for the membership fee.

Petervs
03-06-2008, 09:33 AM
I don't think you need to find a camera that scans backwards. The display is controlled by the monitor, and you set it up there to display backwards.

Interesting that we all want it to be backwards so it looks like what we see in the rear view mirror on a car. I think it is only because we are used to seeing traffic behind us in that mirror backwards way from all of our car driving experience.

Ray Davis
03-06-2008, 10:56 AM
I think it is only because we are used to seeing traffic behind us in that mirror backwards way from all of our car driving experience

I'm not so sure about that. I leave the backup camera on most of the time when towing a toad. It would be kinda weird to look down at the screen, see someone comeing up on your left side, and then have to realize, they were actually passing you on your right side.

dale farley
03-06-2008, 12:28 PM
Brian, Thanks for the tip. I did call Tim, and he was very helpful. I purchased a Voyager Color VCCYL35 Keyhole camera. I didn't want to have to start cutting the back of my bus to make another camera fit, so this way I can just install a small piece of plexiglass and drilll a hole in the middle for the camera. This will do everything that my original camera was doing.

Ray, Tim did ask me specifically if my system reverses the image. He said they either sell you the camera with an exact image or mirror image according to your system requirements. Some systems are set up to reverse the image. They don't want the liability of somone having a wreck and blaming it on the image they were seeing in their camera. In my case, I needed the mirror image.

The camera with the shim adapters and the necessary cable adapters and UPS shipping was a total of $231, so hopefully, it will do the job. I saw other places selling the camera alone for $229-$495. I should receive it Monday, so I will let everyone know how this works out.

Ray Davis
03-06-2008, 01:39 PM
We'll be interested to see how it all works out!

Ray

Darrell McCarley
03-06-2008, 02:20 PM
Dale, I think you did the right thing. You are dealing with someone (Tim) that knows cameras so if you have problems, you will have the right help. I did not know about reverse images and not much else about cameras. I got lucky when I installed mine that it did not have the reverse image. If I ever need another, I will call Tim.

tdelorme
03-06-2008, 04:37 PM
Dale, BrianE sent you to the right guy, as you have found out. He will also give you support over the phone if you need it. This guy is as good as it gets for cameras and monitors and his prices are the best around. Good for you.

gmcbuffalo
03-07-2008, 12:32 AM
Peter is this the second thread that I have seen where they refer to you a Brain?
GregM

JIM CHALOUPKA
03-07-2008, 09:39 AM
Peter is this the second thread that I have seen where they refer to you a Brain?
GregM

Go back further Greg. :p

dale farley
03-22-2008, 09:50 PM
I forgot to post a picture of the camera after I installed the backup camera, so I have attached couple. The camera works fine and was not difficult to install. I removed the old camera, got a piece of 1/4" plexiglass that is 4" X 6", drilled a 1" hole in it and attached it with a couple rivets and silicone.

I purchased the angled shim adapters to allow me to aim the camera down so I could get a picture starting at about 3' to 4' behind the bus. It is a Voyager and if it proves to be a reliable camera, it should be well worth the $231 I paid including adapters, cables, and shipping. I would recommend Tim in Baton Rouge at http://www.rvcams.com/. He was very helpful and had an excellent price on everything I needed.

truk4u
03-23-2008, 09:25 AM
Nice job Dale!

Les
03-24-2008, 10:08 PM
I have removed my back up cam from both coach and trailer. They come out from the inside for repair or replacement. I replaced mine and after removing, had to cut the rear cap fiberglass to fit the new one. The company I used is Total Vision Products in Tucson AZ. Rod Taylor is the owner. He is fantastic. He provided all necessary parts, cables, and even loaned me a specialized tool needed for wire prep. This may be more than you wanted to know, but I have been thru the whole process and enjoyed the project.

Jerry Winchester
03-24-2008, 10:40 PM
Les,

What camera did you install?

And welcome to the board.......

JDUB

Jon Wehrenberg
03-25-2008, 06:54 AM
Welcome aboard Les. It's always good to see new folks entering the asylum.

A question that most may face at one time or another is the routing of new cables. I have a four wire black and white camera and monitor. I believe that to upgrade to color or to get color and a camera that can be re-directed a 5 or more wire cable will be required. You mentioned new cables. Did you have to run new cables, and if so how, where, and who was the converter and how was the original cable run.

This is going to come up with more folks as the older black and whites fail.

gmcbuffalo
03-25-2008, 04:39 PM
Jon

Check out Ebay. I bought something like this a few years ago and used the existing B/W cable in the bus.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/7-LCD-Color-Monitor-Rear-View-Backup-Camera-System_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50073QQihZ020QQi temZ300207403183QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Just look for a unit that matches your cable cnnectors or go wireless.

The IF capablity was marginal I must say.

GregM