PDA

View Full Version : Important Spare Parts????

03-02-2008, 05:14 PM
The folks at Marathon have offered (I accepted) to create a spare parts drive away box of hard to find, most needed spares, from fuses, breakers, belts etc. for both the Marathon and the Prevost sides of the coach. Do any of you know of important parts that I should have in my spare parts locker that I should ask about as part of a check list. Marathon seems to have access to beyond their own stuff, lots of Prevost stuff, and I would rather have extras then to sit on the side of the road. Any advice would be appreciated.

Bruce

Darl-Wilson
03-02-2008, 05:27 PM
Bruce, go to 'Articles' from the home page. On page 2 is a great list from JDUB for spare parts. You will also find other suggestions from various POGers in that section.

03-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Bruce, go to 'Articles' from the home page. On page 2 is a great list from JDUB for spare parts. You will also find other suggestions from various POGers in that section.
Ok, you got me, where is the Articles page. I must be confused, can't find it.

Thanks for the help.

Bruce

Darl-Wilson
03-02-2008, 06:19 PM
Bruce, go to the POG Home from the Quick Links above and there you will find the "Article" listing.

If you come through Reno to pickup Jim I would like to meet you and at least say 'hey'. Incidently, Reno is about 1/2 hour from Truckee on I-80.

If you need anything while you're in town let me know.

Darl

Jerry Winchester
03-02-2008, 06:20 PM
I would add that the original list was a suggestion from Prevost. I have refined that for what I have in the coach from my three years of experience.

In addition to a replacement for every belt on the coach or generator, I have spare fuses and bulbs for most items. Since the XL2 clearance lights come as an assembly, I just have a spare yellow one.

Rubber stuff. The grommets with the threads that hold the marker lights on are also used to hold the dash panel on in the Marathon. The guy installing my new GPS system twisted two of them off and was fretting about it when I opened the bay door and took out my plastic box and produce two new ones. He about crapped. I told him this wasn't my first rodeo with those buggers. I also keep a handful of rubber bumpers. Why? Well they are everywhere. Bay door handles, rear engine doors, etc. I even changed out two on Gary D's coach when we were in Branson. So you need them, the rivets and a pop rivet gun.

Thanks to Jack14R, I have a spare Delco alternator that fits nicely in the area just forward of where the ladder stores next to the water pump / hot water heaters.

Lots of screws and now I have spare pins for my tow bar (go read my Hummer Oh $hit post).

Wire ties, Webasto parts (nozzle, filter, photocell), fuel filters, hose clamps and a bunch of crap from the old coach that I need to look thru to cull. I am sure there are some 8V92 parts.

I also have a spare oil pressure and turbo boost sensor for the Series 60 ($20 each on eBay)

I am sure this is not comprehensive, but without looking this is all I can think of. Between Jim Scoggins and Jon they have enough "stuff" to keep you in some kind of parts as we did some impromptu mechanic work at POG IV and they produced the goods.

This might be a good topic for a POG V walk-a-round. Show your spares. I know I always add something after every rally. Last time it was the tools Nick suggested. I got most of them on eBay for cheap and I really like the Fluke dual thermometer.

JDUB

Jerry Winchester
03-02-2008, 06:23 PM
http://www.prevostownersgroup.com/users/BD83DEF1-CF1D-CEE2-5BF432431EE8B2E3/library/files/suggestedpartslist.pdf

tdelorme
03-02-2008, 08:07 PM
Sorry, I couldn't resist. Go with JDUB's list, but this ain't a bad backup.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i174/tdelorme1/beer_tub.jpg

03-02-2008, 08:16 PM
I would add that the original list was a suggestion from Prevost. I have refined that for what I have in the coach from my three years of experience.

In addition to a replacement for every belt on the coach or generator, I have spare fuses and bulbs for most items. Since the XL2 clearance lights come as an assembly, I just have a spare yellow one.

Rubber stuff. The grommets with the threads that hold the marker lights on are also used to hold the dash panel on in the Marathon. The guy installing my new GPS system twisted two of them off and was fretting about it when I opened the bay door and took out my plastic box and produce two new ones. He about crapped. I told him this wasn't my first rodeo with those buggers. I also keep a handful of rubber bumpers. Why? Well they are everywhere. Bay door handles, rear engine doors, etc. I even changed out two on Gary D's coach when we were in Branson. So you need them, the rivets and a pop rivet gun.

Thanks to Jack14R, I have a spare Delco alternator that fits nicely in the area just forward of where the ladder stores next to the water pump / hot water heaters.

Lots of screws and now I have spare pins for my tow bar (go read my Hummer Oh $hit post).

Wire ties, Webasto parts (nozzle, filter, photocell), fuel filters, hose clamps and a bunch of crap from the old coach that I need to look thru to cull. I am sure there are some 8V92 parts.

I also have a spare oil pressure and turbo boost sensor for the Series 60 ($20 each on eBay)

I am sure this is not comprehensive, but without looking this is all I can think of. Between Jim Scoggins and Jon they have enough "stuff" to keep you in some kind of parts as we did some impromptu mechanic work at POG IV and they produced the goods.

This might be a good topic for a POG V walk-a-round. Show your spares. I know I always add something after every rally. Last time it was the tools Nick suggested. I got most of them on eBay for cheap and I really like the Fluke dual thermometer.

JDUB
Excellent info Jerry. I will compare this with the the original JDUB parts list. Then I will see what Marathon is preparing and get back.

Thanks again.

Bruce

MangoMike
03-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Whoa Mel Torme,

Corona Kelly is not going to be happy about that post.

mm

(bonus post for five-0)

tdelorme
03-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Bruce, go with Mike's list.:)

Jon Wehrenberg
03-02-2008, 09:31 PM
I think the list of spares has to be personalized. What might work for a full timer might not work for someone who is out to a rally and then back.

There are obvious things everyone should carry such as belts, lights or bulbs, fuses and CBs, relays and miscellaneous common hardware items. I carry a tire plug kit, extra Schrader tire valves, and stuff that is always handy like velcro, double sided foam tape, RTV silicone adhesive, duct tape, nylon wire ties, extra hose clamps, and spare cabinet latches.

I used to carry a spare tire, spare brake chambers, and fuel filters. I don't any more.

But more because the bus is a convenient place to keep things together I have a Webasto control unit, the boards and a fan for an inverter, a spare blower motor for the Webasto heat exchanger, a fuel pump for the generator, and some wire and a collection of electrical terminals.

As important as the "stuff" I carry however are my tools. In addition to the various hand tools, probably the most used thing I carry is my multi-tester.

We all will tend to gather our own collection of stuff based on what we are capable of repairing while on the road, and what we have had fail in the past.

Joe Cannarozzi
03-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Include an air pressure regulator. 10 bucks and when they fail your dead in the water. If you carry one open the box and make sure you have the correct allen wrench to install the corresponding pipe plugs.

Strips cut from a bicycle tire inner tube tightly wrapped around an air hose with a leak, then covered with a tightened screw clamp, will often completely seal a leak.

How about a tire plug kit.

03-03-2008, 06:39 AM
This all sounds very straight forward, but I think I will need an extra bay to accommodate every thing, and a computer inventory program to catalogue each item. I will add all of these items into one list and repost. Should be interesting. Thanks again.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-03-2008, 06:49 AM
At Sevierville we need a show and tell for spares and tools.

So far Jim Keller is my idol. He has a slection that makes Lew's True Value Hardware Store look miniscule by comparison.

Joe Cannarozzi
03-03-2008, 06:50 AM
I agree with Jon. Most tend to carry too much to start and as time goes on begin to thin things out. It happened in that manner on both the bus and truck with me.

Joe Cannarozzi
03-03-2008, 07:12 AM
Rubbermaid to the rescue!

Bottom is tools and hardware, middle is central spares and top is patio accessories. They "nest" on each other and stay put while underway.

dalej
03-03-2008, 08:39 AM
Joe, I just have to ask......WHAT is this doing in one of your bays???

Joe Cannarozzi
03-03-2008, 08:52 AM
A stowaway.

dalej
03-03-2008, 08:58 AM
It just doesn't look like it has Debbie's name on it. I think that it was your idea to buy it. Joe you love that little statue, don't you.

Petervs
03-03-2008, 10:07 AM
I would like to add one thing to the list:

I carry a 12 inch section of hose for each of the 3 sizes of hose on the cooling system of the Detroit Diesel. Most of the cooling system is steel pipe, but these are joined with short sections of hose and clamps. I had one blow out a few years ago. Each 12 inch section can be cut ( if you have a tool for that!) to the length needed to replace a joint.

The local roadside truck repair guy was easily able to repair it, but he did not carry the correct diameter hose. It was difficult to locate on a Sunday.

03-03-2008, 10:49 AM
I would like to add one thing to the list:

I carry a 12 inch section of hose for each of the 3 sizes of hose on the cooling system of the Detroit Diesel. Most of the cooling system is steel pipe, but these are joined with short sections of hose and clamps. I had one blow out a few years ago. Each 12 inch section can be cut ( if you have a tool for that!) to the length needed to replace a joint.

The local roadside truck repair guy was easily able to repair it, but he did not carry the correct diameter hose. It was difficult to locate on a Sunday.
I think we need to do a show and tell at the POG get together in April. I am always interested in finding ways to stay in motion and not have to rely on others if possible. These are excellent ideas.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
03-03-2008, 11:16 PM
Joe, I just have to ask......WHAT is this doing in one of your bays???

Come on Dale, isn't it obvious, the Gargoyle is guarding the bus spares? :D